Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2014 3:49:19 PM EDT
-sarcasm-

Guess I should have not purchased one off of ebay.. They forgot to add the wrench slots

Top side:

Bottom side:

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's got one small hole, then it's the standard telestock nut, pre 1990 or so.  If it was sold as a "castle nut" then the auction listing was in error, but if it was advertised as an "AR-15 collapsible stock nut" or some other description, then it was a legit listing and you just didn't realize what you were bidding on.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:38:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Perfectly smooth all around. I am sure it was just missed in QC.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:46:21 AM EDT
[#3]
ATF approved, slickside.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup, eBay all right; I bought a buffer tube kit off eBay and I feel your pain. I went to install the kit castle nut and the wrench slots weren't large enough for the wrench, so I had to replace that castle nut with another one. Now I wonder about the long term integrity of the rest of the kit which installed just fine ...
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#5]
fwiw- i get my castle nuts and buffer tubes (receiver extentions) directly from bcm.  never a problem.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:15:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yup, eBay all right; I bought a buffer tube kit off eBay and I feel your pain. I went to install the kit castle nut and the wrench slots weren't large enough for the wrench, so I had to replace that castle nut with another one. Now I wonder about the long term integrity of the rest of the kit which installed just fine ...
View Quote

There is nothing wrong whatsoever w/ melted beer cans.  It's an environmentally responsible buffer tube.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:33:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
fwiw- i get my castle nuts and buffer tubes (receiver extentions) directly from bcm.  never a problem.
View Quote

I do too. I always get mil-spec extensions from them but my castle nuts never have the slots to stake the end plate. Same experience for you or?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#8]
OP, can you drill an indentation for the stock wrench?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:19:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I do too. I always get mil-spec extensions from them but my castle nuts never have the slots to stake the end plate. Same experience for you or?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep all of the castle nuts i got from bcm had those staking notches.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:43:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I was able to rob a correct castle nut from a pistol lower I have that was sitting in the safe. I contacted the seller and I am getting a new castle nut sent to me. I am going to drill a hole to make this "smooth" nut an older style castle nut that was shown in this thread.

I do have a strap wrench, so I could use it as is if I wanted.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:55:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was able to rob a correct castle nut from a pistol lower I have that was sitting in the safe. I contacted the seller and I am getting a new castle nut sent to me. I am going to drill a hole to make this "smooth" nut an older style castle nut that was shown in this thread.

I do have a strap wrench, so I could use it as is if I wanted.
View Quote

A little red loctite, and the stock would be unremoveable.  Hmm.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:49:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weird. I didn't see it as enough of a problem to try to swap it out but I was kind of confused lol
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or the wrench slots are too wide.  I've taken a file to my wrench before to make it fit.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top