Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2014 12:50:10 PM EDT
I have seen some .300 black out barrels for under 200 shipped and from the start I wanted a .30 caliber but went with a .223 lower. But now I found out I can have my .30. I already know the ammo cost way more. How do you guys think a stainless barrel will hold up? And any suggestions on who to go with as far as cost and durability?  
Also which barrel do you guys feel will hold up better stainless or steel?
I just ordered my rra bcg and operator 6pos stock.and today a few other parts came in. I found a single 4.5 trigger to go with instead of the dpms lpk trigger.
a cheap build lol that went out the window.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:45:30 PM EDT
[#1]
DONT go with ice arms.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:15:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow thanks for that! I looked them up and cant believe what I read about them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:47:56 PM EDT
[#3]
What about barrels from hm defense ? Either in .300 blackout or 5.56?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#4]
try cmmg barrels.
they might have something that fits your needs.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#5]
model 1
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:46:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What about barrels from hm defense ? Either in .300 blackout or 5.56?
View Quote

I never heard of these guys. The caliber is probably gonna be a personal choice but I decided that before I get into variants, I would secure my 5.56 set ups. Again, personal choice.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:58:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got two barrels from CMMG in 300blk and they both run perfectly. http://www.cmmginc.com/category_s/1843.htm
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:32:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have seen some .300 black out barrels for under 200 shipped and from the start I wanted a .30 caliber but went with a .223 lower. But now I found out I can have my .30. I already know the ammo cost way more. How do you guys think a stainless barrel will hold up? And any suggestions on who to go with as far as cost and durability?  
Also which barrel do you guys feel will hold up better stainless or steel?
I just ordered my rra bcg and operator 6pos stock.and today a few other parts came in. I found a single 4.5 trigger to go with instead of the dpms lpk trigger.
a cheap build lol that went out the window.
View Quote

Start with a decent barrel like this. Stainless barrels don't last as long as CL barrels but they are more accurate and it's not like the .300AAC Blackout is a barrel burner. The barrel should last you quite awhile if you take care of it by properly cleaning it. If/when you wear it out the cost to replace the barrel is going to be cheap compared to the cost of ammo that you'll need to kill it. Rainier Arms barrels are very good and will serve you well.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank you guys for the help. I was looking at the Rainer arms already as a better choice but I am confused now by other posts I have read about the .300 blackout running right ? Things like you should run a suppressor and a gas piston system, even things like a shorter barrel. Would I be getting in over my head going this way if these things are true? If so then I would much rather stay 5.56. I already figured a stainless barrel mite not hold up as long but I like the looks and my rra has one that I love. I dont shoot it as much as I should because I worry about the longevity of it. The other thing is I wanted a fluted barrel. But its not something I have to have. I have my own machine shop so I wanted to try fluting the barrel my self. I have the right equipment to do this and figured if I take .005 to .010 at a time then rotate the barrel and take another cut running coolant and a carbide endmill I could do it and not distorted the barrel. Has any one done this? If I go with the .223wydle I believe its better then just a 5.56 from what I have been reading. Also hm defense is sold on ebay and has fluted barrels at what seems like a good price but I cant seem to find any soild reviews on them. I also dont like the fact they dont tell you much about them like are the barrel end crowned?  Again thanks guys I know us newbies are a pain.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top