Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2014 1:23:36 PM EDT
Hi, I'm helping my brother build an SPRish rifle and like the idea of squeezing every bit of accuracy we can out of a
DECENT barrel (probably a compass lake with their wylde match chamber w/matched bolt)

And am still wanting it to be "battle ready" should the need ever arise (everything else is a bonus) and am thinking the best way to go about it is a clamp on gas block but would like to be able to stake the bolts to make it more rugged.

Also I would hate to pin a nice barrel and be stuck with that gas block or cost more to get something else re-pinned.

Not looking for a set screw type GB as that worries me (may be fine for some but not what I want).

Any ideas for a stakable low pro gas block?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:21:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Once alignment has been verified with a range trip, I just use loctite red on the screws...
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:28:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Once alignment has been verified with a range trip, I just use loctite red on the screws...
View Quote

Yes, I understand most people do fine with loc tite or less but I don't think they would want to bring THAT firearm to the front lines of shit hit the fanistan.

I know many on here are going to give me flak for what I want to do but I would feel a lot better if the gas block had at least one redundency in place. IMHO

This will be a range/plinker first but feel better knowing it could go the distance if it had to.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:22:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Use Rocksett on the screws!

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#4]
It's been done... although I don't know the procedure, I would like to know

My guess would be to mill away a small area for the material of the screw to displace into, then stake.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My guess would be to mill away a small area for the material of the screw to displace into, then stake.

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz45/malice653/vst31_zpsbac2a300.jpg
View Quote

Just peen the metal as the above picture shows.  If you're real dead-set on it, get a sharper punch and stake it just like your gas key.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:03:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz45/malice653/vst31_zpsbac2a300.jpg
View Quote

Thanks that looks like a good place to start.

Overlooked doing it from the threaded side.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:11:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Use Rocksett on the screws!

View Quote

May do this as well
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:29:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Might as well weld that fucker on there. Pinning would be easier and better. It won't rotate.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:33:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Might as well weld that fucker on there. Pinning would be easier and better. It won't rotate.
View Quote

I'm sorry, I thought this was the technical forum.

It's not MY build and would still like to squeeze every little bit of accuracy out of the barrel. We're not match grade shooters (yet) but why go half way. (Pins and set screw putting slight pressure on the bore)

Just looking for some ideas because I have never had a screw that didn't loosen up over time.

Thanks for your input though as it IS still an OPTION.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#10]
All my Noveske barrels are very accurate with pinned GB's. If you need better then .5-1MOA build a bolt-action.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:47:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Safety wire?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Safety wire?
View Quote

Elaborate?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Safety Wire

It's a way to make sure nuts don't come loose, used in the Aerospace industry a lot since having bolts come undone at on a very heavy object that's very far above a hard surface is generally a bad thing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Safety Wire

It's a way to make sure nuts don't come loose, used in the Aerospace industry a lot since having bolts come undone at on a very heavy object that's very far above a hard surface is generally a bad thing.
View Quote

Huh? That may be something to look at, depending on how big the heads are on the gas block.

My brother is a machinist so he may be able to get that small of a hole in there.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's not MY build and would still like to squeeze every little bit of accuracy out of the barrel. We're not match grade shooters (yet) but why go half way. (Pins and set screw putting slight pressure on the bore)
View Quote

I think you need to spend less time on the forums and just build the rifle. What makes you think a barrel is going to lose accuracy from a dimple or drilled hole on the side of it? Slight pressure? On a steel barrel? If your barrel has accuracy issues from a small pin or set screw, you might want to choose another barrel. These aren't new methods of attaching a gas block on a barrel. IMO, you're way over-thinking this. Especially for a target gun that you MIGHT use in a SHTF event. The only reason I could think of for this concern is if you're a world class competition shooter, and even then, it's fairly absurd.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:28:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I think you need to spend less time on the forums and just build the rifle. What makes you think a barrel is going to lose accuracy from a dimple or drilled hole on the side of it? Slight pressure? On a steel barrel? If your barrel has accuracy issues from a small pin or set screw, you might want to choose another barrel. These aren't new methods of attaching a gas block on a barrel. IMO, you're way over-thinking this. Especially for a target gun that you MIGHT use in a SHTF event. The only reason I could think of for this concern is if you're a world class competition shooter, and even then, it's fairly absurd.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

If you have even more time than this thread suggests, put a nice ring of red locktite or rockset on a bolt, tighten it down, wait a couple weeks then test out the force it takes to move the bolt. My Noveske barrels also have pinned block and NO accuracy problems. John would have never used pinned blocks if the method degraded the accuracy of his barrels.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:35:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Best post in this thread!
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:36:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top