Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/5/2014 7:21:17 PM EDT
I see a lot of people saying that enhanced BCG's and proprietary designs are not worth the money. The question I have is if money was not a problem and you knew you were going into harms way for an extended period of time with your rifle what BCG would you be running? and why?
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Any milspec BCG.

That is what our warfighters use.

If SpecOp guys have BCGs other than a milspec... I have never heard of it, but what do I know?

http://bearingarms.com/how-to-i-d-ar-15-m16-mil-spec-bolt-carrier-groups/
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#2]
LWRC and LMT both make bolts which address the known weaknesses in the original mil-spec bolt design.

Only you can decide if the additional cost is worth it to you.

It's kinda like horsepower in a car/truck:  if you have 305 do you need 420?
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 5:30:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes you do need 420
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 8:51:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes you do need 420
View Quote

There you go!

(I run advanced/enhanced in my primary shooters; I'm not OCD enough to have them as spares, too.)
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 9:46:38 AM EDT
[#5]
A Colt 603 XM16E1 or a 609 XM177E1 chrome BCG.  Added upgrades: Colt gold extractor spring and bushing, a McFarland 1 piece gas ring, and an extractor O-ring.

Why? If I was really going into harms way, that's what I have in my shit hit the fan rifle. (my Princess, Ole Painless, Patches, Safe Queen) If I have to make a choice, that's it.

Not that long ago, they were available, the supply has dried up. Today they are almost the "unobtanium".

The hot ticket for the younger generation is to buy the Colt M16 chrome slab-side carriers and have your local machinist add/cut in the forward assist notches. Same function and result at a reasonable cost. -W
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input everyone.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 3:51:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Im starting a noveske/KAC SBR build an have been thinking about the LMT enhanced bcg. The reason being they clam a longer dwell time which should make the gun run a bit smoother right? I saw in some older threads that the lmt enhanced bcg was designed for 16 and 14.5 inch barrel lengths and that it should not be used in an sbr. Is that still the consensus? I am going to call lmt later today an see what they have to say.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 4:31:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes you do need 420
View Quote

420, 421, whatever it takes...
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 5:57:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes you do need 420

Isn't that kind of the point in building your own rifle?
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 8:13:06 AM EDT
[#10]
If the government isn't GIVING me the weapon, then I'll build mine to MY specs not Military specs.  Even in the LEO community we know that sometimes it's not the best equipment, but usually the lowest bidder.  However, BCGs don't differ all that much and I don't know why people obsess about dwell time.  I would recommend a mil-spec BCG because that is what is out there and if you want to upgrade to a Nickel boron coating or Nickel Teflon go ahead, it helps with cleaning and that helps with reliability in my book.  
Other than that, if you aren't building a competition gun then just get a decent mil-spec bcg.  Tried and true for 50+ years.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 8:41:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If the government isn't GIVING me the weapon, then I'll build mine to MY specs not Military specs.  Even in the LEO community we know that sometimes it's not the best equipment, but usually the lowest bidder.  However, BCGs don't differ all that much and I don't know why people obsess about dwell time.  I would recommend a mil-spec BCG because that is what is out there and if you want to upgrade to a Nickel boron coating or Nickel Teflon go ahead, it helps with cleaning and that helps with reliability in my book.  

Other than that, if you aren't building a competition gun then just get a decent mil-spec bcg.  Tried and true for 50+ years.
View Quote

My feelings also. Build what you like... And if it runs, don't mess with it as far as buffer weights, BCG weight, spring rate, etc.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top