Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/30/2013 5:26:41 PM EDT

This is my black friday cyber monday rifle build.

I took it out shooting today and was thrilled. It weighs just a touch more than my JP build due to the scope and the heavier barrel. However the AP customs foreend saved a lot of weight so the two rifles are almost identical in weight. No malfunctions at all today. Out of six 5 shot groups fired my 55 grain Hornady FMJ reloads averaged 1.89 moa. My 77 grain SMK match reloads averaged .82 moa out of four 5 shot groups fired. The rifle was flat and a joy to shoot. I highly recommend the Nordic barrel it was a steal for the performance you get. I set it up with a JP low mass system as Marco recommends. Also love the AP customs carbon fiber forend.

Pat
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#1]

Very nice!

I've got a new 3 gun rifle built around an 18" DD barrel that's waiting for a scope and a nice day.

What do you think about the magpul fixed stock?  I went with a normal A2 stock on mine just because I wanted a fixed stock and that was what I was most familiar with.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Very nice!

I've got a new 3 gun rifle built around an 18" DD barrel that's waiting for a scope and a nice day.

What do you think about the magpul fixed stock?  I went with a normal A2 stock on mine just because I wanted a fixed stock and that was what I was most familiar with.
View Quote

I really like the stock. I went to a fixed stock because the off set sight mount I use from Firebird requires a rifle stock and it will not work with a carbine one. But I have not regretted the change. I like how its simple yet provides a good cheek weld.
Pat
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 7:16:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I really like the stock. I went to a fixed stock because the off set sight mount I use from Firebird requires a rifle stock and it will not work with a carbine one. But I have not regretted the change. I like how its simple yet provides a good cheek weld.
Pat
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very nice!

Pat

Cool.  Collapsible stocks tend to pull hair out of my beard, hence my love of fixed stocks.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks fine.
1-6 and a red dot?
I know some have a harder time shooting the long stuff with only the 6 power.  Others don't.  
What size BCM CH latch is that? You might want to add something to the pic rail in front of the latch to keep it from being opened when you set the rifle down.
Sometimes the scope isn't enough prop to keep it from happening on stages when you shoot multiple guns back and forth and have to set the rifle down quickly.
IIRC it was the 2012 Pro-Am when it happened to me with the large latch. Opened just enough to go "click".

Link Posted: 12/30/2013 7:32:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nice rifle and good shooting too.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 8:04:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looks fine.
1-6 and a red dot?
I know some have a harder time shooting the long stuff with only the 6 power.  Others don't.  
What size BCM CH latch is that? You might want to add something to the pic rail in front of the latch to keep it from being opened when you set the rifle down.
Sometimes the scope isn't enough prop to keep it from happening on stages when you shoot multiple guns back and forth and have to set the rifle down quickly.
IIRC it was the 2012 Pro-Am when it happened to me with the large latch. Opened just enough to go "click".

View Quote

Its the medium sized latch. I shoot open and I use the red dot when I have to transition from long shots to close ones and vice versa when there is little to no movement between firing positions. Kind of like this stage in Georgia. I had the scope at 3x for the smaller pesky poppers and slightly longer paper and I used the red dot for the in your face targets. With the clarity of the Vortex and the Swarovski I have no problems hitting out to 600 yards. I practice on 10 inch steel plates at 400 yards and have not problem hitting them. I think glass clarity matters a lot.
New Ft. Benning match 2013 Legands facility
Here is my main three gun rifle.

Link Posted: 12/30/2013 8:18:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Its the medium sized latch. I shoot open and I use the red dot when I have to transition from long shots to close ones and vice versa when there is little to no movement between firing positions. Kind of like this stage in Georgia. I had the scope at 3x for the smaller pesky poppers and slightly longer paper and I used the red dot for the in your face targets. With the clarity of the Vortex and the Swarovski I have no problems hitting out to 600 yards. I practice on 10 inch steel plates at 400 yards and have not problem hitting them. I think glass clarity matters a lot.
<a href="http://s59.photobucket.com/user/355sigfan/media/Semi%20Auto%20rifles/JPthreegunrifle_zps19ff687f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Semi%20Auto%20rifles/JPthreegunrifle_zps19ff687f.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks fine.
1-6 and a red dot?

<a href="http://s59.photobucket.com/user/355sigfan/media/Semi%20Auto%20rifles/JPthreegunrifle_zps19ff687f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Semi%20Auto%20rifles/JPthreegunrifle_zps19ff687f.jpg</a>

Also very cool.

I usually shoot Heavy Metal, but when I've shot the mouse gun divisions in the past I've used a 4x & was able to ring steel reliably out to 600.

I want to put a 6x on my recent build, but the Swaro's are out of my price range.  I'm strongly considering the new Primary Arms scope.

If you don't mind me asking, is there any particular reason why you mount your dot behind the scope as opposed to in front like most open shooters?  Is there any advantage or just personal preference?
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 8:28:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Also very cool.

I usually shoot Heavy Metal, but when I've shot the mouse gun divisions in the past I've used a 4x & was able to ring steel reliably out to 600.

I want to put a 6x on my recent build, but the Swaro's are out of my price range.  I'm strongly considering the new Primary Arms scope.

If you don't mind me asking, is there any particular reason why you mount your dot behind the scope as opposed to in front like most open shooters?  Is there any advantage or just personal preference?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks fine.
1-6 and a red dot?

Also very cool.

Good question. I used to mount it up front and I was told to try it moving it back by another better shooter. What it does for you is a greater field of view . Also the off set 60 degree mount gets the primary optic out of your field of view so your left eye is not blocked. You will see this set up or something similar more and more now. I also shoot tac optics locally as well as open. I have shot a few matches in heavy metal with my SCAR 17 and it was fun but expensive. Any chance you will be in Texas for the STI Multigun Nationals in april. If so look me up.  The new Primary Arms 1-6 that is supposed to be released after shot sounds very promising. If the optical quality is anywhere near as good as the 2.5 x fixed power scope I just got for T&E from Marshall it will be a winner.
Pat
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Good question. I used to mount it up front and I was told to try it moving it back by another better shooter. What it does for you is a greater field of view . Also the off set 60 degree mount gets the primary optic out of your field of view so your left eye is not blocked. You will see this set up or something similar more and more now. I also shoot tac optics locally as well as open. I have shot a few matches in heavy metal with my SCAR 17 and it was fun but expensive. Any chance you will be in Texas for the STI Multigun Nationals in april. If so look me up.  The new Primary Arms 1-6 that is supposed to be released after shot sounds very promising. If the optical quality is anywhere near as good as the 2.5 x fixed power scope I just got for T&E from Marshall it will be a winner.
Pat
View Quote

Makes sense.

I'm afraid that I'm not going to make it to Texas.  I'm in the closing phase of my PHD & it has seriously cut into my range time.  I didn't shoot any majors last year and will probably only shoot Midwest and maybe the new one down at Ozark this year.  And that's just because they're relatively local.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 8:56:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Makes sense.

I'm afraid that I'm not going to make it to Texas.  I'm in the closing phase of my PHD & it has seriously cut into my range time.  I didn't shoot any majors last year and will probably only shoot Midwest and maybe the new one down at Ozark this year.  And that's just because they're relatively local.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pat

Makes sense.

Congrats on your PHD. Once I got my BA the dean of the Justice program tried to talk me into doing a remote masters program but its just a lot of work when your working. So congrats on your hard work paying off. I would love to go to Ozarks. I can only do one maybe two majors in a year.
Pat
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 7:00:24 AM EDT
[#11]
what spacer is that on your stock?
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 8:01:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Congrats on your PHD. Once I got my BA the dean of the Justice program tried to talk me into doing a remote masters program but its just a lot of work when your working. So congrats on your hard work paying off. I would love to go to Ozarks. I can only do one maybe two majors in a year.
Pat
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pat

Makes sense.

Pat

Thank you for the kind words.

If I were coming from AK I doubt that I would be making any nationals, so that is understandable.  The farm that the Ozark match was held on was the perfect place for a major match.  I even liked it better than I liked Rockcastle (and I really liked Rockcastle).

Good luck at the Nationals.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 10:08:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
what spacer is that on your stock?
View Quote

Its a Firebird off set red dot mount.
Pat
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I shoot Open as well but mostly close to home like the ol DPMS Tri-Gun, CMMG Midwest, AR-15.com Pro-Am, Ozarks, etc.
I use the Vortex 2.5-10 FF ebr-2 with their rings and 3moa Razor dot in a weaver 1'clk mount.  I don't like the forward offset scope mounts.
You like the MOE grip vs the MIAD?  I like the MIAD but the MOE just didn't feel as nice even though they are almost identical.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 10:32:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I shoot Open as well but mostly close to home like the ol DPMS Tri-Gun, CMMG Midwest, AR-15.com Pro-Am, Ozarks, etc.
I use the Vortex 2.5-10 FF ebr-2 with their rings and 3moa Razor dot in a weaver 1'clk mount.  I don't like the forward offset scope mounts.
You like the MOE grip vs the MIAD?  I like the MIAD but the MOE just didn't feel as nice even though they are almost identical.
View Quote

I like the MOE simply because when I had a MIAD I set it up the same way as the stock MOE. So now I just save the money. I hate the finger grove on many of the MIAD front strap inserts. I also like Ergo grips.
pat
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top