BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/13/2013 9:36:04 PM EDT
Anderson Mfg. stripped lowers with sequential serial numbers, ordered from PSA, received today. Pay attention about the sequential numbers, there will be a quiz after.

That's right, the bolt release pin hole is not drilled on one of them. Somebody let it get through that way before anodizing then somebody shipped it that way after anodizing.

I've ordered four lowers recently and got 2 blems* and a machining/QC fuckup. Jesus Titty-Fucking Christ, is 2013 over yet?

* BTW, I can't find a blemish on the "blem" upper I ordered.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:47:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmmm, you going to drill it yourself or ship it back?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:55:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Shit happens, its a small hole that could be easily missed. You going to drill it?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:43:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shit happens, its a small hole that could be easily missed. You going to drill it?
View Quote

I'd drill it, cheaper than shipping it back and forth
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:16:04 PM EDT
[#4]
heck of a long drill bit for such a small diameter so the chuck will clear the lower...   I would shit it back to the mfg so they can drill it and avoid new FFL fees.   But I wouldnt try it myself unless I have access to a good machine shop
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:23:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Guy I work with ordered the same stripped lower with integral trigger guard from PSA (I did too, same day, but mine still hasn't arrived ), but his, even though listed as integral trigger guard on every bit of documentation, arrived as the stripped lower with no trigger guard.  He is just gonna suck it up and keep it rather than dealing with the endless fight to get in contact with them.  Price was so low it's hard to be angry.  I can't say what I'll do if mine comes with no trigger guard, but I'd DEFINITELY send it back if it doesn't have all the holes drilled.  That's beyond my skill set.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:57:22 PM EDT
[#6]
That's awesome.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 12:15:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Send it back and have them drill the hole.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 1:49:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Ouch.... I would bet that your lower is not the only one that was not drilled out.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:52:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow. I bought 3 of those Anderson lowers. But I just threw mine in the safe. I need to go look at mine to make sure they are drilled. The one thing that PSA told me when I picked my lowers up was that I need to clean out the buffer retaining pin hole. All of them have some crud in it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:40:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Are you sure it's not just full of shit you could scrap out.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:30:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Please explain how a CNC machine easily misses a step.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:21:49 AM EDT
[#12]
My 4 just arrived at my FFL. Have not picked them up yet.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:59:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I got a Superior lower last year without takedown detent or pivot pin detent holes drilled.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:16:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tools (small drills and mills especially) break.

Small features may be overlooked by the operator/machinist if they have too much going on.  Policy at my job is a full check one an hour, but I run up to four machines at a time...  So things have been out of spec for a few hours at times.

The sequential serials probably aren't actually made back to back. They just made it to the engraver in that order.  Most serials aren't affixed during primary manufacturing.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:12:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I just checked my 3 Anderson lowers. They are GTG.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:23:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Call this guy  He is the Rep that works for Anderson Manufacturing.  He should be able to take care of you.  Make sure they pay for shipping both ways.
Let us know how they treat you.  I have done business with them in the past.  I want to make sure they provide quality Customer Service.

MJ Johnson

Phone number:  859-689-4085, ext 109

email: [email protected] (MJ Johnson)

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:16:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Glad I got an earlier model!
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:48:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Shit happens.

If they make it right, no harm done.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:13:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Guy I work with ordered the same stripped lower with integral trigger guard from PSA (I did too, same day, but mine still hasn't arrived ), but his, even though listed as integral trigger guard on every bit of documentation, arrived as the stripped lower with no trigger guard.  He is just gonna suck it up and keep it rather than dealing with the endless fight to get in contact with them.  Price was so low it's hard to be angry.  I can't say what I'll do if mine comes with no trigger guard, but I'd DEFINITELY send it back if it doesn't have all the holes drilled.  That's beyond my skill set.
View Quote

This same thing happened to me. Ordered two with integral trigger guards and received the standard lowers. They were cheap enough, and I wanted to get them SBR'd ASAP. Didn't bother contacting PSA. I didn't notice any mistakes in the machining though.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:28:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Shit happens, its a small hole that could be easily missed.
View Quote

LOL, if the people doing qc are blind folded, the guy putting it into the cnc, taking it out, the guy getting it engraved, or the numskul boxing it. Pretty bad qc to let that big of a slip through. Only on this forum would people just say meh shit happens with this kind of mistake. Guess it's another reminder that buying mediocre stuff ='s mediocre results and a pita dealing with this kind of stuff (I've been there also and not worth the savings)
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:32:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not the CNCs fault the operator, or the drill broke and the operator didn't notice right away. I was machinist for 10 years I can guarantee you that the parts I made were not perfect 100% of the time. I am human a make mistakes miss things occasionally. But I can say my failed parts were less than .2%
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:36:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

LOL, if the people doing qc are blind folded, the guy putting it into the cnc, taking it out, the guy getting it engraved, or the numskul boxing it. Pretty bad qc to let that big of a slip through. Only on this forum would people just say meh shit happens with this kind of mistake. Guess it's another reminder that buying mediocre stuff ='s mediocre results and a pita dealing with this kind of stuff (I've been there also and not worth the savings)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shit happens, its a small hole that could be easily missed.

They don't QC every part probably one a shift after that just spot checks throughout the shift. I swear you people need to work in a CNC shop before you fucking bitch. The guy boxing it is not QCing shit probably can't even read a print. The engraving is done in the CNC, and the finisher doesn't give two shits about holes as long as the finish is good. I worked in shop for 10 years I know how they work I can grantee their failures are very low, but some do get through. The CNC operator isn't blind but human, he makes mistakes, how many have you made? That and with the market the way it is he is probably a button pusher with an HS education, working 12 hrs a day 6 days a week, let's see how sharp you would be on that schedule. Its a small slip on a part with a lot of holes.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:45:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Honestly you can say how hard it is to have decent qc, but honestly, do you see BCM, Rainier, LMT etc letting this type of garbage out of their doors? It's one thing to have a spec issue, but letting out an incomplete lower?? You make it seem like this company is gargantous. Most everyone if not everyone at BCM would probably at least have an idea of what should be where regardless of it they are building them, machining them etc.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?81263-Anderson-Manufacturing-AM-15M416-Review

This is a prime example of their QC. Let me know if this is due to how hard it is to work in a machine shop, or if its just employing mediocre employees... or straight not giving a frack. Again, my statement stands that letting crap out, especially crap running similar pricing to a Colt is unacceptable. IMO

No hard feelings, I do understand what it's like to be around a machine shop, but then again, its not that hard to have a packager who knows what goes where to at least do a once over per receiver they hand box and send out.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:55:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Call this guy  He is the Rep that works for Anderson Manufacturing.  He should be able to take care of you.  Make sure they pay for shipping both ways.
Let us know how they treat you.  I have done business with them in the past.  I want to make sure they provide quality Customer Service.

MJ Johnson

Phone number:  859-689-4085, ext 109

email: [email protected] (MJ Johnson)

View Quote

awesome
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 6:00:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Honestly you can say how hard it is to have decent qc, but honestly, do you see BCM, Rainier, LMT etc letting this type of garbage out of their doors? It's one thing to have a spec issue, but letting out an incomplete lower?? You make it seem like this company is gargantous. Most everyone if not everyone at BCM would probably at least have an idea of what should be where regardless of it they are building them, machining them etc.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?81263-Anderson-Manufacturing-AM-15M416-Review

This is a prime example of their QC. Let me know if this is due to how hard it is to work in a machine shop, or if its just employing mediocre employees... or straight not giving a frack. Again, my statement stands that letting crap out, especially crap running similar pricing to a Colt is unacceptable. IMO

No hard feelings, I do understand what it's like to be around a machine shop, but then again, its not that hard to have a packager who knows what goes where to at least do a once over per receiver they hand box and send out.
View Quote

Paying 4x more for them to look at all the holes is also not really worth it in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 6:28:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

You don't think Rainer, BCM, or LMT has had a slip up or 3 before? BCM "can't get the fucking barrel nut off"? You don't think they've shipped LPKs missing a spring or detent? Oh, that's simple to miss? So is the OPs example. Even Adco has had some fuck ups with customer parts that should have definitely been caught before they went out the door. It's how you handle the problem that is more important.

As far as the link provided, that shit should have been caught. That's from 2011 too. If they are still shipping shit like that out then we can talk about that but if the problem has been resolved since then?

I think it's partially due to machine shops getting involved in an industry that they don't fully understand the customer or the product that they are producing. A missed hole on 1 out of 1000 parts isn't a huge deal when dealing with one customer. Rework, reship. It's different when you are retailing parts to 1,000 different customers.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:41:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You don't think Rainer, BCM, or LMT has had a slip up or 3 before? BCM "can't get the fucking barrel nut off"? You don't think they've shipped LPKs missing a spring or detent? Oh, that's simple to miss? So is the OPs example. Even Adco has had some fuck ups with customer parts that should have definitely been caught before they went out the door. It's how you handle the problem that is more important.

As far as the link provided, that shit should have been caught. That's from 2011 too. If they are still shipping shit like that out then we can talk about that but if the problem has been resolved since then?

I think it's partially due to machine shops getting involved in an industry that they don't fully understand the customer or the product that they are producing. A missed hole on 1 out of 1000 parts isn't a huge deal when dealing with one customer. Rework, reship. It's different when you are retailing parts to 1,000 different customers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMO they are still a tiny mom and pop type shop. The smaller the shop the wose it is to make mistakes. Both for reputation, and for just over all integrity. I wonder what receiver number they are on since 2010/11.

The other guys comment about that boxer needing to be paid 4x's as much... think that's a little out there. A 15 year old with a work permit could even catch incomplete lowers. I'm not talking getting calipers out and spec-ing the lower, I'm just saying make sure the damn thing is complete lol. Makes you wonder if they hired someone typically in the housekeeping or meat packing industry to box their shit.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:42:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

IMO they are still a tiny mom and pop type shop. The smaller the shop the wose it is to make mistakes. Both for reputation, and for just over all integrity. I wonder what receiver number they are on since 2010/11.

The other guys comment about that boxer needing to be paid 4x's as much... think that's a little out there. A 15 year old with a work permit could even catch incomplete lowers. I'm not talking getting calipers out and spec-ing the lower, I'm just saying make sure the damn thing is complete lol. Makes you wonder if they hired someone typically in the housekeeping or meat packing industry to box their shit.
View Quote

Most companies adjust their QC as the see problems arising. They'll either determine that this isn't frequent enough to quibble over or they'll add an additional step to their process. I'd hope they might ask the boxing guy to take a quick glimpse as he's throwing them in the box.

But then they'd bitch he's packing too slow
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:48:37 AM EDT
[#29]
I got 6 of them to build some dedicated 22LR carbines for my grandsons.

I just dug them out of the safe to look at them.
They all look just fine.

Thanks for the heads up on these.

Ron
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:51:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Sorry but I will continue to pass on these for now.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#31]
I spoke with their quality control guy on Dec. 17. He told me to email him the serial number to arrange a return, which I did later that day. Haven't heard back from him, but it's the holidays. Called and left a message today.

What do you think, give them until next week then either build it into a dedicated .22LR lower (no BHO needed) or band saw it in an epic thread?
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#32]
That’s not a good sign.

It seems to me that the Anderson Manufacturing Brothers do not care much about producing a quality product.

There are plenty of other reputable companies  that are willing to take your money and offer a quality product.

I would stay away from Anderson Manufacturing and buy from someone who has been around for a bit longer.  PSA usually produce pretty good stuff.  Rainier Arms and all the companies at the top of this banner produce great products.  Companies come and go in this business.  I am afraid Anderson Manufacturing will not be around very long.  Simply no excuse for this.  I don't care if it is the holidays.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I spoke with their quality control guy on Dec. 17. He told me to email him the serial number to arrange a return, which I did later that day. Haven't heard back from him, but it's the holidays. Called and left a message today.

What do you think, give them until next week then either build it into a dedicated .22LR lower (no BHO needed) or band saw it in an epic thread?
View Quote

I vote bandsaw but we both know you are too cheap for that
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely gots to give it the Spikes Tactical treatment
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I would shit it back to the mfg so they can drill it and avoid new FFL fees.   But I wouldnt try it myself unless I have access to a good machine shop
View Quote

I just did have a Noveske gen 1 chainsaw with an out of spec. mag well (very tight), purchased from Rainier Arms. The rep at Rainier set up the return to Noveske and Noveske shipped it right to my door USPS priority mail. I bring it up to highlight that there is some caveat to federal firearms regs which allow for replacement or repair of parts. I am not an FFL. Oh and hats off to Terry at Rainier Arms for setting it all up.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 8:12:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Sorry but I will continue to pass on these for now.
View Quote

Damn we are all so broken up about it................  I on the other hand will continue to stock them as they are great looking/functioning lowers.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 8:25:25 PM EDT
[#37]
I just ordered two Anderson stripped lowers.

We shall see. It will be a while before I can get around to building them.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 10:00:49 PM EDT
[#38]
I assembled the other Anderson lower tonight.

Edit: There's nothing wrong with the spring hole depth, I'm just a putz.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Down the driveway!

You'll at least feel better.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 11:11:05 PM EDT
[#40]
That sucks! I received my Anderson (with integral trigger guard) from PSA long ago and it's gtg. Already assembled it into a complete lower and it's gorgeous (no flaws what so ever). I had previously used the Anderson (no trigger guard) lower and it, too, was flawless. I'll take them over an ugly PSA lower any day (and for cheaper, no less! ?)!
Contact PSA and Anderson... I'm sure they'll make it right with you.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 3:45:30 AM EDT
[#41]
It's a risk with the budget lowers.  But considering they're selling two for what most companies sell 1 I don't see it as too big of a deal.  Mistakes happen, and as long as they're willing to fix it you still came out pretty good.

FWIW I've got two of the Anderson lowers and haven't had a problem.

Link Posted: 1/3/2014 8:06:42 AM EDT
[#42]
I've built up two the Anderson lowers (CMMG LPKs) from the PSA "$49 deal," and I have to say they went together better than any lower's I've built-up in a while. I was so impressed I bought two more for the shelf.  At that price, why not?  My only complaint (a minor one) is that I order one "with triggerguard" and one without, and PSA sent two "without."  Not enough of a big deal for me to squawk, especially since they were shoveling parts out the door by the boxcar load.

Sorry for the OPs problem, but hopefully they'll make it right.  I sure like mine.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 8:39:18 AM EDT
[#43]
I bought two of the same lowers during the Black Friday sales and both of mine appear flawless.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 9:46:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Correct. Shipping directly to a manufcaturer and directly back to customer is allowed if its for gunsmithing or repair.

Ive done it more than once.

Quoted:

I just did have a Noveske gen 1 chainsaw with an out of spec. mag well (very tight), purchased from Rainier Arms. The rep at Rainier set up the return to Noveske and Noveske shipped it right to my door USPS priority mail. I bring it up to highlight that there is some caveat to federal firearms regs which allow for replacement or repair of parts. I am not an FFL. Oh and hats off to Terry at Rainier Arms for setting it all up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would shit it back to the mfg so they can drill it and avoid new FFL fees.   But I wouldnt try it myself unless I have access to a good machine shop

Link Posted: 1/3/2014 10:28:28 AM EDT
[#45]
The QC guy at Anderson called me back and made arrangements for returning the lower for repair. Also the VP of sales called me. It seems people read arfcom.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 10:48:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The QC guy at Anderson called me back and made arrangements for returning the lower for repair. Also the VP of sales called me. It seems people read arfcom.
View Quote

Never doubt the power of this place. The hive is strong
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Well damn. I'm sure glad my Anderson lower didn't have this issue, cause shes my home defense rifle. But they do have decent customer service, iv'e made at least 7 orders from them and they always helped me out promptly when i had an issue (messed up on my order form)
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 6:16:05 PM EDT
[#48]
I picked up one of the lowers with integral trigger guard when PSA had 'em on sale - mine looks great. All holes are drilled and even the buffer retainer hole is pretty clean. Haven't built it yet but the finish is very nice on it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Pics of the good lower assembled (less stock).

DPMS/Brownells basic parts, JP fire control, WMD NiB hammer bobbed, Noveske short throw selector. Everything fit and went together without hassle. The trigger pin holes were on the generous size for my DPMS pin, which fell out until retained by the hammer spring leg.

I edited my previous post about the bolt catch spring hole depth. There's nothing wrong with the depth, I'm just an idiot.

The Anderson lowers have a very dark, "thick" or "deep" finish, compared to your basic black anodized lower.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I assembled the other Anderson lower tonight.

Edit: There's nothing wrong with the spring hole depth, I'm just a putz.
View Quote

So there is nothing wrong with the lower? And there never was? Or did I miss something?

And Anderson monitors this sight for customer feedback and responded to you?

That is awesome. Where is the link to the new "Anderson lowers are an amazing deal and they have great CS" thread?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top