BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Just got a UTG Pro 13" today put it on my new SPR build or half build. The rail really surprised me very nice. Before I ordered a UTG.  I check out a few others brands at my LGS. I would say that the UTG would hold its own. Will be taking it to the range soon. The 13" did not cover my rifle length gas block but I am happy with it.

" />" />
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 12:46:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I liked the reviews, and more importantly (to me) the price of this rail, so I ordered one today from amazon for $103 shipped to cover my 16" stainless fluted midlength barrel. Should be a pretty good looking setup when complete. What length is the barrel in the above pic? And what gas blocks are you guys running that fits inside these? Will the Troy low profile fit?
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 9:56:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anything UTG or NCStar is crap.
View Quote

NC Star yes, UTG not necessarily.  Its misleading to say "made in China" equals low quality, we used to say the same thing about "made in Japan".   I have a UTG bipod and several Leapers scopes that are solid performers.  Its generally true the very best manufactured goods are still made in the West, but China is catching up fast. - CW
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#4]
These handgaurds are "UTG PRO" and advertised as made in USA. Much better then the china stuff, from what I hear.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Stopped by the Leapers booth at SHOT yesterday. Handled a 15" version on the Super Slim rail.  Nice. They saidvtheyvexpect the 15" version and the FDE versions available by March.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Good to hear about all of those additions.  Now if they could get the additional rail sections to the retailers we'd be all set.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 5:10:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Ddin't read the thread -

Do they use the OEM barrel nut?
Can they slide right over a shaved FSP?
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 5:32:26 PM EDT
[#8]
It's a custom barrel nut.  One nice feature is that it doesn't have to be timed to allow the gas tube to pass through.  Tighten to spec and you're done.

I'm not 100% sure about the shaved fsb. I took one off and put on a midwest industries low profile gas block that covered the tapered pin holes.  This way if I can revert back without too much trouble.

I compared the fsb height to the handguard and it would fit height wise.  You may have to grid the top sides off a bit to make it fit in the narrow channel on top.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I liked the reviews, and more importantly (to me) the price of this rail, so I ordered one today from amazon for $103 shipped to cover my 16" stainless fluted midlength barrel. Should be a pretty good looking setup when complete. What length is the barrel in the above pic? And what gas blocks are you guys running that fits inside these? Will the Troy low profile fit?
View Quote

It is a wilson match SPR  barrel 18 in 1:8 twist, with a wilson low profile gas block.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 8:21:15 PM EDT
[#10]
The UTG tube fit over my YHM set screw low profile gas block just fine.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

It does. That is the gas block I used on my 16" midlength. shaved it down and gave it a bit of a low pro contour on the top. Fits like a charm!
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Thought it looked a bit longer then a 16, but not long enough to be sure.. 15" rail huh? Must be why its gonna take 3-5 weeks [when Amazon said there were 5 instock] for me to get my 13" :(
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 10:16:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It does. That is the gas block I used on my 16" midlength. shaved it down and gave it a bit of a low pro contour on the top. Fits like a charm!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But it uses a proprietary barrel nut so it still requires disassembly...?
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#14]
A shaved fsb will 'fit' underneath the handguard.  But you'll have to take the fsb off first to get the old barrel nut off and the new one on.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will need to take the gas block off to install this handguard.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:29:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Can someone help me with the thread pitch of the rail mounting holes?

I'd like to know if I can find a swivel stud that will work to mount a Harris type bipod. So far, the most conclusive information I can find on a stud is 10-32 pitch on a YHM stud.

Sorry for the thread jack, but I haven't been able to find a solid answer on the thread pitch anywhere else on the net.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 9:25:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'd like to know if I can find a swivel stud that will work to mount a Harris type bipod. So far, the most conclusive information I can find on a stud is 10-32 pitch on a YHM stud.

Sorry for the thread jack, but I haven't been able to find a solid answer on the thread pitch anywhere else on the net.
View Quote

Give me a little time and I'll check the thread pitch on my rail and post it here.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 2:45:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Awesome!

Thanks, Scott!
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 7:35:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll let someone else confirm but they appear to be metric M4.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 5:25:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Is there a way to mount accessories (flashlight mount, hand stops, AFG, QD sling mounts, maybe a bipod occasionally,  ect) withOUT using the rail sections to keep a slimmer profile? No, I'm not looking to mount it all at once on there, however I like the look of the hand stops that hug tightly to the key of type rails

And any confirmed fitting rail sections that can be purchased if not?

Earlier in the thread I had mentioned that optics planet told me it would be 3-5 weeks for my handgaurd to ship. Today, approx 5 days after I ordered it, I got shipping notice, and am expecting it the 23-24th, so amazons 1-2 week quote was on par. Not sure why optics planet told me 3-5.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Hello folks,i can probably shed some light on your question.The utg pro slim free float is made of 6063 T-6 vs 6061 t-6 it has little less strength than the 6061.maybe that is why it flexes.We as shooters might  not know a lot of difference.I have been checking around cause I really like this rail also,i heard of pinging noises and flexing,thats when I decided to check with.Leaper's tech.Hope this helps,sorry to jump your thread,i normally don't post,but if I can help,i will.They are nice rails.worth the money and then some.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 6:21:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a 13" rail coming from amazon. will be here friday. will post pics when I get it installed
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 7:41:29 PM EDT
[#23]
have had mine on since christmas.  no problems yet to report.  for the 80 dollars and change i paid ( they had a 20 dollar rebate), can't be beat!!!
usa made, quality seems to be well above the price paid!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:24:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Yeah you cant beat the price, the end result will be the same as all the big name,leapers have been getting there suggestions from some 3gunners,,thats why they are producing the 15",they said the 3gunners were pushing for them.I am a dealer,i get a lot of range reports from shooters,and 3 of my customers have that rail,and they are impressed.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:45:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Just got a UTG Pro 13" today put it on my new SPR build or half build. The rail really surprised me very nice. Before I ordered a UTG.  I check out a few others brands at my LGS. I would say that the UTG would hold its own. Will be taking it to the range soon. The 13" did not cover my rifle length gas block but I am happy with it.

http://<a href=http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y532/newt556/spr3_zps8faf5a09.jpg</a>" />http://<a href=http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y532/newt556/spr2_zps2bb52d74.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

So your 13" rail is actually 12"?
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:27:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y532/newt556/spr3_zps8faf5a09.jpg</a>" />http://<a href=http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y532/newt556/spr2_zps2bb52d74.jpg</a>" />

the pic on their site shows 13" but the spec sheet reads 12.5".
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:22:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I have two 13" UTG Pro slim handguards. One has very "sharp" machining while the other has chamfered edges. Obviously the chamfered is more comfortable in the un-gloved hand. I contacted UTG about this and the rep who responded indicated that the chamfered design is the newer of the two and what we should be seeing on future production.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:54:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I keep hearing good things about these but it's just so damn hard to get passed the UTG name.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:14:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I keep hearing good things about these but it's just so damn hard to get passed the UTG name.
View Quote

I can't think of any reason that anyone would argue with you.  I will say though, that the descision every time is to depend at least partly on ones finances, and what one wants the rifle for.   So if "re-sale" value was a strong consideration, for example, I would choose something else.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:26:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I can't think of any reason that anyone would argue with you.  I will say though, that the descision every time is to depend at least partly on ones finances, and what one wants the rifle for.   So if "re-sale" value was a strong consideration, for example, I would choose something else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With me it's a confidence thing. I try to always use quality parts (which don't always have to cost a fortune) on my rifles whether it's for HD/SHTF or plinking. After handling the regular UTG line of parts all I can think of when I hear their name is "airsoft junk"  that's not suitable for use on an actual forearm regardless of use.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:54:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

With me it's a confidence thing. I try to always use quality parts (which don't always have to cost a fortune) on my rifles whether it's for HD/SHTF or plinking. After handling the regular UTG line of parts all I can think of when I hear their name is "airsoft junk"  that's not suitable for use on an actual forearm regardless of use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only thing that's better about my  MI might be the finish
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:14:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have had the airsoft cheapy 2 piece rails. I now have their utg pro slim rail and they are day and night apart. If you seen it in person and had to guess who the maker was UTG would not come to mind.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I have had the airsoft cheapy 2 piece rails. I now have their utg pro slim rail and they are day and night apart. If you seen it in person and had to guess who the maker was UTG would not come to mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd like to see one in person.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#34]
i know the bigRs around me stock them so if you have one near by that would be a good place to get hands on one, it didnt look like it was to horribly bad really
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Well, I received a response from the UTG representative about the option of a swivel stud being used with their rail. The bosses for the rail sections do not use a normal thread pitch, go figure. And of course, they tried to sell me one of their bipods which I was trying to avoid in the first place and that gave me a little chuckle. Although this news disappoints me to an extent, I'm not an entirely worthless person and have considerable skills with a tap and die (which doesn't take much, I know.) I also have the option I had first planned to use on a standard tube.

The good folks at Harris understand that people like their bipods and bipods that are very similar to theirs. I found this bipod adapter in my research for mounting options on a round tube without any previous holes.

I'm not afraid to take a drill bit to a $100 rail and have something I want for a price I really like. Food for thought for the rest of you that would like an inexpensive rail with your favorite type of bipod capabilities.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Well, I received a response from the UTG representative about the option of a swivel stud being used with their rail. The bosses for the rail sections do not use a normal thread pitch, go figure. And of course, they tried to sell me one of their bipods which I was trying to avoid in the first place and that gave me a little chuckle. Although this news disappoints me to an extent, I'm not an entirely worthless person and have considerable skills with a tap and die (which doesn't take much, I know.) I also have the option I had first planned to use on a standard tube.

The good folks at Harris understand that people like their bipods and bipods that are very similar to theirs. I found this bipod adapter in my research for mounting options on a round tube without any previous holes.

I'm not afraid to take a drill bit to a $100 rail and have something I want for a price I really like. Food for thought for the rest of you that would like an inexpensive rail with your favorite type of bipod capabilities.
View Quote

I shortened the threads ( belt sander) of a standared machine threaded sling swivel stud, and found a very thin nut in nut stash, used one of the round holes near the front of the UTG. Blue locktite.  It JUST clears the barrel, not much clearence.  Simple for Harris bipod.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 10:11:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Kind of an oddball doubbletap.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 4:16:04 PM EDT
[#38]
here are some crappy pics. camera died so I'm stuck using my ipod. very easy to install with supplied wrench. fit and finish is great! to only thing I can find bad is utg doesn't seem to sell additional rails for this, at least I can't find them listed on their site.

Link Posted: 2/4/2014 2:22:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
i know the bigRs around me stock them so if you have one near by that would be a good place to get hands on one, it didnt look like it was to horribly bad really
View Quote

Which ones have you seen them at?
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:24:14 PM EDT
[#40]
I'll have two 9" UTG Pro rails to sell when the 15" comes out!
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'll have two 9" UTG Pro rails to sell when the 15" comes out!
View Quote

I call dibs on one! Im me when you are ready.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 11:08:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Will these clear a adams arms gas piston set up
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 11:21:13 AM EDT
[#43]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Represent316/ar152_zps6d91c44c.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Represent316/AR15_zpse71f3637.jpg

Heres my 13" rail.. Very good product for $100. I too would like to find more rails for it, including longer ones..
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 12:17:58 PM EDT
[#44]
UTG, please make a keymod version with keys on all  7 sides like Noveske, KAC, Strike, and BCM.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Upon a quick google search:

The UTG-Leapers line of tactical accessories and furniture grows in 2014 with the addition of a new entry-level tactical handguard line for AR-15 type rifles and carbines.

The “Super Slim” line includes four different free-float tubular handguards, all machined in aluminium and all manufactured in the United States, coming with a top MIL-STD-1913 “Picatinny” rail on the top portion and KeyMod slots at 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions so that users may mount further rail sections when and if necessary.

The new 4-15 “Super Slim” series of free-float railed aluminium handguards from UTG-Leapers includes four models, all different by lenght: 7”, 9”, 13” and 15”; this last version comes with a top slot for mid-lenght or full-lenght carbines, so that the shooter may choose to maintain the standard fixed front sight.
- See more at: http://www.all4shooters.com/en/specials/Trade-shows-2014/SHOT-show-2014-new-products/accessories/utg-leapers-model-4-15-super-slim/#sthash.YMXYclIs.dpuf
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/5/2014 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#46]
It says keymod but the pic is not keymod.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 7:18:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It says keymod but the pic is not keymod.
View Quote

I found where to info came from.the quote seems to be a description written by another website about the product at the shot show not by utg/leapers
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 10:08:59 PM EDT
[#48]
How are the top rails lining up with standard upper rials?
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 10:33:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Just installed a 13" model the other day and love it, I have no use for more rail sections right now but I may in the future so that would be nice to find.  It fits very nicely with my flat top from psa!  I just went with shaving the fsb for my gas block and it worked nicely.  I think mine may be the older style with the sharper edges but I still like it feels good in hand.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 10:12:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
How are the top rails lining up with standard upper rials?
View Quote

Perfect alignment, at least in my experience.

BTW, I stopped by the Leapers/UTG PRO booth at SHOT, and didn't see any keymod Super Slim rails.  Different colors, and the 15" rail, but no keymod.
Page / 16
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top