BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 2:47:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Clamp on style gas blocks DO NOT FIT on UTG products - BEWARE!!!!

Right now I'm steaming mad! I'm so tired of getting buttf'd.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 2:53:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you mean they don't fit under the handguard? I have a clamp on SLR 7 sentry adjustable gas block and it fits perfectly fine under the UTG handguard for what that's worth
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#3]
You mean clamp on style gas blocks may have clearance issues on slim type handguards in general. I used a DD clamp on style gas block and it fit, albeit a very close fit. Not the fault of the rail really, though I can understand the frustration as it delays build completion.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 3:35:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wait!  You're saying not all gas blocks fit under handguards that actually have the words Super Slim in the name?

Say it isn't so...
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Wait!  You're saying not all gas blocks fit under handguards that actually have the words Super Slim in the name?

Say it isn't so...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say it isn't so...

I think he said he didn't research the parts he was buying and that he fucked up and bought the wrong thing
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Finished up the 6.8 build a few days ago. Put a 15" UTG Keymod in Gunmetal Gray on it. " />

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:17:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Didn't someone a few pages ago source new screws? I just ordered a keymod rail for my 6.8 build and am going to need to replace the screws.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think I'm going to take the leap and order one of these rails. Now the question is... Slim line or keymod? Is the keymod worth the extra $?

People have reported issues with the screws stripping on the keymod version

^^^^^^^^^   This and I think a keymod, no matter who makes it, is ugly and boring looking.  That's just my personal opinion.  I have the SlimLine on a dedicated .22lr and I like it a lot. It's light and it's solid.

Didn't someone a few pages ago source new screws? I just ordered a keymod rail for my 6.8 build and am going to need to replace the screws.

Key Mod Screws
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:59:20 AM EDT
[#9]
The QD mount and included screws

Here it is installed:

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Its interesting they sent hardware with yours. They must have forgot it with mine.

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 12:49:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I got 2 and they didn't come with any screws either. I used the ones that came with the handguard rail sections.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 1:13:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I ordered mine on Monday and received them yesterday if that makes a difference. I also did not use the supplied Allen heads because the head was smaller and I did not want to go hunt a smaller Allen wrench lol.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 6:29:45 PM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think I'm going to take the leap and order one of these rails. Now the question is... Slim line or keymod? Is the keymod worth the extra $?

People have reported issues with the screws stripping on the keymod version

^^^^^^^^^   This and I think a keymod, no matter who makes it, is ugly and boring looking.  That's just my personal opinion.  I have the SlimLine on a dedicated .22lr and I like it a lot. It's light and it's solid.

Key Mod Screws

Thanks. I ordered then a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Has anyone had issues with the rail not tightening up after putting all the screws in? I'm on my 3rd install and it's the first time I ran into the problem. From what I can tell everything lined up just fine, no shims used on the barrel nut, but when I put the screws in and torqued them down the rail still had some side to side play. I stripped a couple screws trying to tighten it up so I need to get them out and figure out what went wrong.

Also, anyone have a link to some keymod rail panels that don't cost an arm and a leg?
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The QD mount and included screws
<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Pimpyodapimp/media/Guns/CCFE110A-D7B7-491D-9837-7DAE0D209018_zpsreepvcee.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/Pimpyodapimp/Guns/CCFE110A-D7B7-491D-9837-7DAE0D209018_zpsreepvcee.jpg</a>

Here it is installed:
<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Pimpyodapimp/media/Guns/1DD431F2-934B-40B9-97AD-5FA9E2C2AC9A_zpsnj0fnssa.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/Pimpyodapimp/Guns/1DD431F2-934B-40B9-97AD-5FA9E2C2AC9A_zpsnj0fnssa.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Pimpyodapimp/media/Guns/C441F71E-9F2D-47A3-BDC7-E2AA23C3654C_zpsdizzlchr.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/Pimpyodapimp/Guns/C441F71E-9F2D-47A3-BDC7-E2AA23C3654C_zpsdizzlchr.jpg</a>
View Quote

Nice looking QD mount. Of course, when I tried place an order they were out of stock... I opted for e-mail notification and got the in-stock email about an hour later! This KAK QD mount will not only look sleeker than my current short rail section/Gear sector QD mount, it's lower profile as well. I picked up a MFT minimalist stock from KAK as well, it will replace my fixed MOE carbine stock. Between the two, I will probably save close to another 5oz of weight... not much but it all adds up

One question on the anti-rotation, does it lock the swivel or is their a 1/4 inch or so of play back and forth? My gear sector locked the swivel, I prefer this.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:01:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Who sells the UTG's the cheapest? I want to get one of the 7" in fde.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:36:08 AM EDT
[#17]
There is maybe 20 degrees of rotation with the KAK QD. It does not fully lock.

eBay has the best price on the 7".
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Damn good looking frankenbuild
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:43:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

not anymore- only one listing at $107. ebay is systematically removing any AR15 parts listings, and even erasing photos and descriptions of completed listings. They normally allowed them as long as the name 'AR' or whatever firearm it was for wasn't mentioned in the listing, but now they've gone full retard.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

not anymore- only one listing at $107. ebay is systematically removing any AR15 parts listings, and even erasing photos and descriptions of completed listings. They normally allowed them as long as the name 'AR' or whatever firearm it was for wasn't mentioned in the listing, but now they've gone full retard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is best to just search the factory part number

Mtu005Ss

There are four or five listing under $100 right now. I just ordered one sunday for $90 shipped from the seller ecop.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:24:32 PM EDT
[#21]
exile machine has good prices on UTG slims, I got 2 13" from them at ~$100 shipped. They have 7" for $78

link
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
exile machine has good prices on UTG slims, I got 2 13" from them at ~$100 shipped. They have 7" for $78

link
View Quote

damn wish I would have seen that

good tip
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

good tip
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

link

good tip

wow, and yep- that's why I asked here! I've been googling for a couple days and the cheapest I had found was $85 for the FDE version...

edit: I should have said I wanted the FDE... their price with $9.00 shipping is more than others...
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#24]
If anyone is shopping- Lanbo's Armory has the lowest prices right now. I got the 7" FDE for $85. Shipping is 10, but that puts it at 95 shipped. That was lower than anywhere else by far.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I want to find the UTG Keymod version. I need it in both 7" and 9".

Where can't get the best price on line? Google hasn't helped much and the deals I've found in this thread are for the original non-keymod super slim version.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 1:12:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Where can't get the best price on line? Google hasn't helped much and the deals I've found in this thread are for the original non-keymod super slim version.
View Quote

Ebay usually has good prices on those. The part numbers are MTU004SSK and MTU005SSK
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Best price
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#28]
What Bolt on Gas Blocks will fit under the UTG Super Slim?
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 4:38:43 PM EDT
[#29]
I used a Troy when I installed mine.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 5:40:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I used a Troy when I installed mine.
View Quote

Great could you point me in the direction of a Troy Clamp on gas block?
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 9:36:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Best price
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best price

Thanks Dodge,

I've ordered a 9" from them and its on its way.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Get it while it's available and on sale !!!!!!! 15" Keymod I love this rail and have about 15 builds with this rail. All cerakoted in different colors. This is a Steal !!!!!!
Are you kidding me - $110 for this rail that goes for $137 - $175. Run - don't walk and get this now!!!!!
I have been waiting 2 or 3 weeks for this to come back in stock at this sale price. Just checked and BACK IN STOCK.!!!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 6:56:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Just got 2 more of these. I am a fan and admit it. These are the perfect economy rail at half the cost of others.!!!! I will immediately blast and Cerakote these for my builds.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 4:07:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Just completed my first build, a 20" barrel with a UTG Pro sgperslim 15", YHM low-profile gas block, Magpul Gen 2 MBUS sights.  I see in several pictures that people have MBUS sitting above the gas block, any issues with heat on the sight?  Haven't fired mine yet, wondering if I need to position the sight behind the gas block or not.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Just completed my first build, a 20" barrel with a UTG Pro sgperslim 15", YHM low-profile gas block, Magpul Gen 2 MBUS sights.  I see in several pictures that people have MBUS sitting above the gas block, any issues with heat on the sight?  Haven't fired mine yet, wondering if I need to position the sight behind the gas block or not.
View Quote

Is the gas block under the rail or is it one with a built in rail on top? If it's under the rail you have nothing to worry about it. If you mounted the MBUS to the gas block then you have 2 problems: It isn't the right height, and it's going to melt.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Under the rail, not touching it.  I saw that you had to have 30 posts for pictures to show without 3 mods intervening, but I'll post a pic and cross my fingers.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Under the rail, not touching it.  I saw that you had to have 30 posts for pictures to show without 3 mods intervening, but I'll post a pic and cross my fingers.
View Quote

You have nothing to worry about! IM me the picture and I can post it for you
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 8:19:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Is the gas block under the rail or is it one with a built in rail on top? If it's under the rail you have nothing to worry about it. If you mounted the MBUS to the gas block then you have 2 problems: It isn't the right height, and it's going to melt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really true x 2; if the gas block is "rail height," then the sight is at the right height, in the correct plane.  And, I ran that way for a long time, through two carbine classes, and my front sight never melted, so it's not a foregone conclusion.  The lower SBR in the pic.

I got the block plenty hot (had to shoot the second half of both days with gloves) and no melty sight.  I suppose if you are shooting auto you might have something to worry about, but I don't think I could melt it and I tried.

That said, I replaced the Troy Alpha rail with a low-pro gas block under a Leapers Pro Super Slim (like the upper rifle in the picture), but mostly because of aesthetics and my rampant OCD.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 4:51:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Warning:  new attempting to post pics

You can see that the back of the sight is positioned over the first half of the gas block - no worries about heat?

Sorry, having trouble shrinking the image down.

Edit: corrected image links

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 5:11:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 5:15:33 PM EDT
[#41]
You should not have any heat issues on that beautiful rifle.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 1:35:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Is it possible to retain the stock A2 FSB with the keymod version? Maybe I'm weird but I prefer the look of the A2 front sight versus flip up iron sights.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Is it possible to retain the stock A2 FSB with the keymod version? Maybe I'm weird but I prefer the look of the A2 front sight versus flip up iron sights.
View Quote

Don't see why not, as long as the handguard is short enough, and you'll have to put the sight back on AFTER the handguard is installed.  I'm sure I've seen pics like that around here somewhere.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Anyone check out the M-Lok system yet? It looks pretty well done
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 9:57:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've checked the length, and the 13" version would fit this type of setup for a rifle length gas setup.  9" should fit mid, and 7" should fit carbine.  I have this setup on one of my 16" middys, with a 9" MI handguard.  I like the A2 because it is the strongest front sight you're going to get, as it is forged steel and pinned on instead of set screwed or clamped.  Also I prefer barrel mounted sights whenever possible over handguard mounted ones, because they do not experience POI shift from a shooting sling, solid rest, etc.  I only use A2s on red dot setups though, because an A2 FSP will obscure the FOV on a scope at the height I mount them at.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 11:30:01 AM EDT
[#47]
The Syrac Piston System fits fine under the UTG Keymod.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 1:53:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I've checked the length, and the 13" version would fit this type of setup for a rifle length gas setup.  9" should fit mid, and 7" should fit carbine.  I have this setup on one of my 16" middys, with a 9" MI handguard.  I like the A2 because it is the strongest front sight you're going to get, as it is forged steel and pinned on instead of set screwed or clamped.  Also I prefer barrel mounted sights whenever possible over handguard mounted ones, because they do not experience POI shift from a shooting sling, solid rest, etc.  I only use A2s on red dot setups though, because an A2 FSP will obscure the FOV on a scope at the height I mount them at.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would you mind posting a pic of the 16"?  I've been in the process of building a 14.5" and would like to use an A2 front sight.
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 6:09:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Anyone check out the M-Lok system yet? It looks pretty well done
View Quote

didn't know they came out with mlok.

Want
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:03:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Anyone try the super slim with a YHM Specter 2 piece gas block??  Says on YHM website that it will fit under any rail that is 1 5/8" inner diameter.  What is the inner diameter of the super slim??
Page / 16
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top