BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 2:42:04 AM EDT
[#1]

First off, to be clear, I have the keymod version, which apparently has  problems with the screws.

Second of all, you would not see a shift in your scope from the rail getting knocked seeing as how the scope is not mounted to the rail. One would only see a shift in the front sight from where a 1x optic was cowitnessed (which is what I am observing).

Lastly, I believe the threads were already stripped and this may have been the cause of the shifting.

I will update when I get the replacement parts and check zero
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:36:25 PM EDT
[#2]
What are you guys doing for flashlight mounts on these. Is there anything made to fit the Gen 3 MI stuff that will fit?

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 9:57:09 AM EDT
[#3]
TLR 1 at 12 position
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#4]
These are AWESOME rails. I use them on my rifles.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are you guys doing for flashlight mounts on these. Is there anything made to fit the Gen 3 MI stuff that will fit?

View Quote

Viking tactical polymer mount at 12 o'clock. Will post pictures later- tiny pic is being a bitch. I also threw a tlr1 at 12 o'clock on for reference
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 5:35:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a TLR-1 on a pistol and installed it at 12 oclock on the rilfe.

I really did not like how it blocked the lower third with my optic on the one power setting.

I went ahead and ordered one of the inforce WML that I am going to try at 9 oclock
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 2:23:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Been happy with the blackhawk mount on the top rail.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZZO9QE/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=48706811798&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14172130936514487397&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1pd82rmi9t_b

Its not bad for 25 bucks and is made in the USA

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:35:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone know if a YHM clamp on gas block will fit under this handguard?

Update: Tried it and no it will not fit.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:36:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Mrgunsandgear appears to have reviewed the keymod version on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cXJ_uVTT3M
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Anyone know if a YHM clamp on gas block will fit under this handguard?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I do not believe it will. I now the YHM low profile one does though.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:35:45 PM EDT
[#11]
The WML showed up.

I think it would be a bit better with a 45 degree mount, but for now it will do.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:20:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The WML showed up.

I think it would be a bit better with a 45 degree mount, but for now it will do.

http://i.imgur.com/CCrEb1Z.jpg?1
View Quote

Nice. I am glad to see the MWI handguard panels catching on. I had to stipple mine because they were so slick.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:02:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nice. I am glad to see the MWI handguard panels catching on. I had to stipple mine because they were so slick.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The WML showed up.

http://i.imgur.com/CCrEb1Z.jpg?1

They work great. Thanks for figuring out they fit.

I actually ended up cutting one down and redrilling a hole after I took that image. It now fits under the light which allowed me to move the rear panel back to it original location.

I will likely stipple mine as well when I can find the time and/or patience.

EDIT:

Here is the rifle with the cut down forward panel. I also stippled them over the holiday weekend.

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 12:49:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Changing things up a bit
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I think I'm going to take the leap and order one of these rails. Now the question is... Slim line or keymod? Is the keymod worth the extra $?
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Changing things up a bit
http://oi60.tinypic.com/30218xd.jpg
View Quote

Do the MI panels require any modification to the UTG Pro rail? I haven't been able to find a definite answer
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Do the MI panels require any modification to the UTG Pro rail? I haven't been able to find a definite answer
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Changing things up a bit
http://oi60.tinypic.com/30218xd.jpg

they are direct bolt on, up just have to use the rail section screws that come with the handguard
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think I'm going to take the leap and order one of these rails. Now the question is... Slim line or keymod? Is the keymod worth the extra $?
View Quote

People have reported issues with the screws stripping on the keymod version
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 4:56:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^^^^^^^   This and I think a keymod, no matter who makes it, is ugly and boring looking.  That's just my personal opinion.  I have the SlimLine on a dedicated .22lr and I like it a lot. It's light and it's solid.

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I had two of the button  head bolts separate where the head meets the shank. One was easy to get out. One not. Leaders replaced all the bolts within 2 days. Rail was ok.
First time in 7 rails this happened. Bolts where defective and may not be USA made like the rails.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:46:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Has anyone had any success with using the M-lok accessories on the super slim rail, or am I limited to the MI panels?
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 4:36:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Here are the M-Lok specs. I have not measure but just eye balling it I dont think the super slim opening are anywhere near that size or shape.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 9:35:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:47:48 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote
looks good

I think im going to get a Pro SS for my 9mm build

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 8:18:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

^^^^^^^^^   This and I think a keymod, no matter who makes it, is ugly and boring looking.  That's just my personal opinion.  I have the SlimLine on a dedicated .22lr and I like it a lot. It's light and it's solid.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't someone a few pages ago source new screws? I just ordered a keymod rail for my 6.8 build and am going to need to replace the screws.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#26]
All this time I thought they only made these for LR-308 high profile receivers, but I was looking yesterday and found ones for low profile receivers. I went ahead and grabbed a 13" for my PA10 that I'll eventually put on after I make sure it functions correctly and doesn't have to be sent back to PSA
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 12:47:22 AM EDT
[#27]
I noticed that Natchez Shooters Supply had UTG PRO handguards listed in the catalog I got in the mail earlier this week.  Prices are GOOD!

The 15" Keymod handguard is on sale for $110.99, but they have other models, including the older superslim ones with screw-on rails, if that's what you're into.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 6:39:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Here are the M-Lok specs. I have not measure but just eye balling it I dont think the super slim opening are anywhere near that size or shape.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j203/anibal999r/m-lok.jpg
View Quote

I measured mine last night and I got .232 tall and .565 long
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 5:06:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for doing that. It looks like there is no chance they will work.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Tnuts might fit if you remove them and slide then down the inside of the tube but mlok also requires flat mating surfaces on the inside and outside
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:56:58 AM EDT
[#31]
My LR-308 low profile 13" super slim handguard came in today. The 308 versions are slightly wider than the AR15 versions and I think I prefer the wider ones. I always thought the AR15 ones were almost too narrow to get a good grip around

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:01:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Nice thread OP. I have skimmed thru the pages and towards the last posts, it seems like the UTG Pro is more popular? or are we liking the Keymod super slim. and it looks like they are measuring shorter than the numbers they say.
ETA.
Got a Keymod coming from ebay
More ETA got the new not keymod sent the wrong one, but for 100 bucks I'll keep it. pretty dam good rail.
I killed another thread
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:41:15 AM EDT
[#33]
15" on the way from primary I wish I had found this thread before I ordered I could have saved money!

ETA: I'm feel really dirty thinking this way but, this may be my go to rail now. Inexpensive and built solid. UTG Pro is GTG IMHO. I can't tell you how impressed I am with the machining and fit/finish on it. The packaging is on point too. Rock solid mounting. Pics to follow after I camo it up

ETA:
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#34]
MLOK rails seem to be the next to come based on their Instagram. Looks like it follows the shape of the Keymod rail.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:17:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Has anyone had any issues with the barrel nut from these?  I built an SPR-ish setup using them, and I can't get groups under 3" at 25 meters.  I've checked and removed all the variables except the barrel and upper, and I've had the barrel checked out on another upper (it's GTG).  That basically leaves me with barrel nut or upper, and I'm just curious if there is any history with issues on these.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 2:25:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Has anyone had any issues with the barrel nut from these?  I built an SPR-ish setup using them, and I can't get groups under 3" at 25 meters.  I've checked and removed all the variables except the barrel and upper, and I've had the barrel checked out on another upper (it's GTG).  That basically leaves me with barrel nut or upper, and I'm just curious if there is any history with issues on these.  Thanks!
View Quote

Did you try the UTG barrel nut on the other upper you tested it on?
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 10:56:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I noticed that Natchez Shooters Supply had UTG PRO handguards listed in the catalog I got in the mail earlier this week.  Prices are GOOD!

The 15" Keymod handguard is on sale for $110.99, but they have other models, including the older superslim ones with screw-on rails, if that's what you're into.
View Quote
Thanks, I just ordered 2 more. Price is still holding at $110.99. Cheapest price I have found!
Edit: Now Out of Stock
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 11:02:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I took it back to the shop where I bought it and he tested it out.  Now I have a YHM barrel nut I borrowed, so I'm going to test that out this week.  I was just curious if anybody had had any issues.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 8:49:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope, my accuracy improved with my install.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 11:06:58 PM EDT
[#40]
KAK finally came out with direct attach QD sockets for the UTG handguards. Finally a way to mount a sling!

http://www.kakindustry.com/kak-utg-qd
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#41]
looks way cleaner then having to put on a rail section and then a QD add on.  Looks like I'll be ordering one.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
KAK finally came out with direct attach QD sockets for the UTG handguards. Finally a way to mount a sling!

View Quote

Nice!  Looks like I'll be ordering one as well!
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks for posting that. I had been looking for a good solution for some time now.

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 2:03:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Thanks for the link to the QD mount.  I ordered one too.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#45]

I have small asian hands. Works fine for me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 5:25:07 PM EDT
[#46]
The KAK QD socket showed up today. I had to cut out a small portion of the MI panel, but otherwise it fit well.

They do not ship with hardware so you need to use the stuff that comes with the rail.

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The KAK QD socket showed up today. I had to cut out a small portion of the MI panel, but otherwise it fit well.

They do not ship with hardware so you need to use the stuff that comes with the rail.

http://i.imgur.com/HR0FMgo.jpg
View Quote

I got mine also.  It fits perfect on the rail.  Well worth the money.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Can someone refresh me on what it took to put on Midwest Industries rail covers on the regular UTGPRO super slim?
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:40:44 PM EDT
[#49]
You just use the screws that ship with the UTG rail and not the ones that come with the MI panels. The holes are off by maybe 1/32 but on mine it was not a problem.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You just use the screws that ship with the UTG rail and not the ones that come with the MI panels. The holes are off by maybe 1/32 but on mine it was not a problem.
View Quote

Thank you! I think I am going to go this route!
Page / 16
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top