Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2013 9:25:36 AM EDT
Hello All,

I'm starting my first build and I know I can use some help.

I'm looking at building a FDE AR and can't seem to find anyone with a stripped upper in FDE in stock.

Anyone know of a place that has them in stock?  Where else should I be looking?

So far, I've checked Core15, Aero Precision, hunting suppliers outfitter and others I can't remeber...

I really appreciate it (I know AR15.com is a wealth of knowledge!)
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 11:34:28 AM EDT
[#1]
You might be better served to just get an upper in black and have it cerakoted. Since you're just starting your build, buy everything in whatever color is available then get them coated in whatever color you like. Probably easier that way and you wouldn't be locked into FDE. Check the cerakote website, you might find another shade of FDE that you like better. Just a thought anyway.

Good luck with your build
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm... That's a good point.  Know of any good deals on a Black stripped upper?

Any idea how much a cerakote job is on an ar?

Thanks so much for the reply.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Really good point, the more I think about it, b/c it opens up the option of "blemished" parts b/c it'll eventually get coated anyway....  

Any reason I shouldn't order a blemished upper from Aeroprecision? it's $60...
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#4]
If you aren't in a hurry PSA runs deal for $39 on a stripped upper.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 1:14:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, if that deal comes along again, I'll have to build 2.  :)  Ordered my first AR15 part EVER!  Thanks guys.  I'll update when I get it.

Link Posted: 11/14/2013 1:23:31 PM EDT
[#6]
def keep an eye on PSA... easy to deal w, fast shipping, i just got 3 'blem' lowers from them for $60ea. theyre QC is great over there because i only found one paint miscolor on the inside of one of the lowers... think i saw the deal up again today... if thats how theyre blem parts are, ill wait for theyre blem uppers to come back.

and thats a good idea to collect parts in whatever colors as you go and then ckote...

Link Posted: 11/14/2013 1:31:19 PM EDT
[#7]
also, im on my first build... if you hear of a good upper deal and are close to the forum here... im lookin for a barreled upper, pref w/out bcg or chrg handle

started '1st AR build' topic...
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#8]
There's always Krylon if you're building a working gun.

I did get an e-mail today about canned Duracoat.  I was going to give Aervoe a try, but might give the canned Duracoat a go.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I did get an e-mail today about canned Duracoat.  I was going to give Aervoe a try, but might give the canned Duracoat a go.
View Quote

Could you explain a little more?  Totally new to all of this.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 6:56:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Krylon = spray paint...if you want FDE (or any other color), just spray paint it.  It's not made for weans, per se, and wears/scratches easily, but it just as easy to touch up.

Cerakote as someone mentioned is another option but you have to know what you're doing with it (and it is often applied by professional Cerakoters).

Durocoat is similar to Cerakote but I noticed that Duracoat came out with a spray can kit that doesn't require baking, etc.

Aervoe is an industrial spray paint used by modelers for realistic finishes, and many use it on firearms.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Really good point, the more I think about it, b/c it opens up the option of "blemished" parts b/c it'll eventually get coated anyway....  

Any reason I shouldn't order a blemished upper from Aeroprecision? it's $60...
View Quote

Aero Precision is GTG.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 8:06:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I have one of the PSA blem uppers and two Anderson uppers.  The Andersons are great.  I built my first AR and DuraCoated it Magpul Flat Dark Earth.  I think it came out great and considering this was my very first build I am happy with it.  Check it out.  Keep your eyes on the PSA website daily, they are always running ads for the blems! Just have to move fast! They are perfect for a build with the intent of being coated.  

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp285/macliver/My%20Guns/IMG_3535.jpg

I actually decided to paint the barrel, upper, lower and eventually the scope...

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp285/macliver/My%20Guns/IMG_3682.jpg
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top