Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2013 1:58:07 PM EDT
Can you serialization an 80% lower and make it sellable?
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 2:04:58 PM EDT
[#1]
No. You cannot sell a lower you made without a manufacturers FFL.
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 2:09:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes you can.

Just do not try to do it often.

To be sold it needs a serial # that is etched in at least 0.003 inches deep in 1/8" min size.

Where do you get the serial number?? -  You make it up!

Any number you want because it goes along with the other data like name and where made as long as it is unique.

You are the manufacture.  You made it for yourself and somewhere down the line you decided to sell it - no problem. Just do not make a business out of it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 2:10:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Can you serialization an 80% lower and make it sellable?

If you are referring to taking a solid piece of aluminum and putting in into a CNC Machine, As already said, in order to manufacture weapons/receivers you have to have a Type 07 FFL to do this legally.  

Edited to say:  Anyone wanting to argue with this so be it.  If you MANUFACTURE A RECEIVER AND THEN SELL IT... All I can say is I hope ATF doesn't come knocking on your door. Granted if your right or wrong a good defense attorney licensed to practice in federal court is GOING TO COST SOME $$$$.

Link Posted: 1/12/2013 2:31:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Intent is the key here.  If you make it with the intent to sell, then you broke the law.  If you make it for personal use, get tired of it, decide to sell it, you're fine.  

Link Posted: 1/12/2013 2:32:42 PM EDT
[#5]

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/firearms-technology.html#commercial-parts-assembly

Individuals manufacturing sporting-type firearms for their own use need not hold Federal Firearms Licenses (FFLs). However, we suggest that the manufacturer at least identify the firearm with a serial number as a safeguard in the event that the firearm is lost or stolen. Also, the firearm should be identified as required in 27 CFR 478.92 if it is sold or otherwise lawfully transferred in the future.
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#6]
My intent is to make it legal.  So a type 7 FFL dealer can stamp and transfer to me.  I take it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 3:17:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My intent is to make it legal.  So a type 7 FFL dealer can stamp and transfer to me.  I take it.

No.  If you build the rifle with the intent to keep it and play with it, you need not have an FFL nor do you need to put a serial number on it.  BATFE  SUGGESTS  that you do so, but it is not a legal requirement.

If you later get tired of your toy and decide to sell it, you still DO NOT NEED to put a serial number on it.

You NEVER need to serialize a firearm made for your personal use.

edit:spelling
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is not true.  You can sell a firearm made on an 80% lower.  You just can't finish it for the purpose of selling and making a profit.  That is "manufacturing". per the BATFE.

Home made guns are not required to have serial numbers but it is a good idea should your build ever be stolen.
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#9]
If you do not want to put a serial number on it
For aesthetic reasons, put it on the inside, or at least some mark
So you can identify it if stolen
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 1:03:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Read the law.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top