Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2012 9:07:27 PM EDT
I'm still working on parts for my first build and have run into another question.  I am planning on getting a standard A2 Front Sight and want to know if it is compatible with the Magpul MBUS Rear Sight?  In other words, is it tall enough to use with the standard A2 Front Sight?  If not, what are some suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 9:54:54 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll be wanting an "F" marked front sight.  They should cost the exact same as a standard A2 front sight, and will look identical except for having an "F" on the side.  It's slightly taller (.04") and is what most A3/A4 iron sights are intended to be the same height as.

Link Posted: 6/20/2012 12:45:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Could be ok to use. Ive seen a few models and builds with this sort of combination. But with a standard A2 sight post, I would look into Daniel Defense rear fixed sight (I like these a lot) and Troy Industries, just to see other options. They have a few flip up rear sights and I know a lot of people who use them with their standard sight post. Its gonna cost a little more than Magpul, but its your choice. I run Magpul Gen 2 sights on my rifle and they work just fine for me.

Link Posted: 6/21/2012 4:35:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I just used one on a non-f marked bushmaster carbine barrel. It worked fine, actually had to lower the front sight a notch. I had already bought the taller front sight just in case and didn't need it. I think the only way to tell is by shooting it. There could be slight variations in the upper receiver also.
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm using a MBUS Gen 2 rear sight with my standard "F" marked A2 front sight and it works great.  You won't have any problems.
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 3:25:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes.
A MBUS rear sight works just fine with a fixed front sight.  It is exactly the same height as standard A2 iron sights.
Many people run this configuration.

As someone else said, you should make sure you have an f-marked front sight, but that has nothing to do with the MBUS.  It is necessary for any rear sight that goes on a flat-top AR.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top