Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/4/2012 10:49:49 AM EDT
I write this to relate my experience last week when I attempted to have 4 trigger sets worked over by Mr. Springfield who does business through triggerwork.net.  I have read glowing reports concerning his triggers and since I was going to be in the Colorado Springs area from 5/25 to 6/3, I thought I would have him work over 4 sets that I am about to install.

On Tuesday I attempted to contact Mr. Springfield via the listed contact number and left a voice mail.  No big deal, after all I was on vacation and so might he be.  On Wednesday I called and he answered.  I asked if it would be convenient to drop off 4 sets and he said “yes”.  I then drove to his residence (place of business) and when I ring the bell, was met by a gentleman who identified himself as Bill Springfield.  I introduced myself and explained what I wanted, asking about having 2 of the triggers done in the 3# weight he advertises and the other 2 just a standard trigger job.  He stated that they usually came out 4 ½ -5 lbs.  That rang an alarm bell, but I ignored it.  I asked if Friday would be ok to pick them up and he again said “yes”.  Thursday afternoon I called and left a message asking what time Friday would be convenient to pick them up.  Friday came and I called twice with no contact other than the voice mail.  I then drove to his house and ring the bell.  He answered the door wearing the same clothes he had on Wed. and I again introduced myself.  I asked him if the triggers were ready and he said “not quite finished, but if I would give him about 30 minutes they would be.”  I could see the Ziploc bag with the triggers in it lying where he had set it on Wed.  I asked if he had done anything to them.  “No” was the reply.  Not wanting a possible slap dash slip shod job done to 4 triggers in a rush, I said I would just take them and left.  Saturday my phone ring and when I checked, it was a return (the first) call from him and he simply left the message “call back anytime”.

Now I can’t comment on his products, but as a business man I found him to be totally unprofessional and will definitely advise my friends to seek alternatives for his services.  A friend had intended to send 4 sets with me, but he will do something else now.  Me, I ordered my Powers Stoning Jig this weekend along with some JP spring sets and will do my own.

Just my experience and my .02   YMMV
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I had just saved his web address in case I decided to send a couple triggers. Might just wait a while instead.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 11:41:37 AM EDT
[#2]
With the recent introduction of the ALG Defense triggers, perhaps combined with JP reduced power springs, I would think that the need for this service would diminish.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 11:52:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Not having met the man in person, I've sent him 3 trigger groups over the past few years and have been pleased with his work.  Usually had the triggers returned within 7 work days.  Don't know what the exact weight of trigger pull is, but each has a very crisp let-off and is a big improvement of the original stock item (Spikes kits).  I've put hundreds of rounds through these carbines in courses and desert plinking with no malfunctions.  Of course YMMV, but I wouldn't hesitate to send him another trigger group for my next build.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Reminds me of another post by a member that went to his house.He answered the door all disheveled,and appeared to be either drunk or just plain stupid.The conversation was incoherent,and the trigger-work sucked.The poster pretty much said avoid this guy like the plague.It was a well-written post,and I believe every word of it.

Link Posted: 6/4/2012 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm surprised the guy is still in business after all the horror stories I've read about his triggers failing and how unprofessional he is.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 2:14:22 PM EDT
[#6]
That too bad. Bill was well respected around here a few years ago..
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 7:00:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I have had four triggers done by Bill without any problems.

I just got one completed a few months ago and it is sweet.

Perhaps Bill is very busy with the shooting season just starting.

I would do business with him again.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 9:21:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Could these encounters possibly be fabricated by Bill's competitors? Just throwing it out there
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 9:42:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Could these encounters possibly be fabricated by Bill's competitors? Just throwing it out there

Highly doubt that. That notion doesn't make sense, really.
The field reports have been about 50-50 on this product for some time.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Are their similar competitors out there that offer better service at the same price point?
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No I am not a competitor, and the report is not fabricated.  My step daughter and her family live in Colorado Springs and we took advantage of the holiday/work schedule timing (10 days off for only 3 days of vacation time used to go and visit.  Since I was going to be in the area, I thought I would try his services.  I am an advanced amateur in terms of gunsmithing and ability.  At the age of 65, I can honestly claim 54 years experience since I sporterized my first deer rifle (SMLE) at the age of 11.  That was a day and age when a reasonably well mannered boy could ask questions, buy parts and be treated decently in a gun shop because they were viewed as future customers.  Since that time I have handled most of my own work, some successfully, some not  I am also at the stage of life where it is easier to let the pros do some things and devote my time to other interests.  However that doesn't keep me from attending the occasional summer class at Trinidad Junior College (NRA gunsmithing courses) and tackling new challenges.  You won’t see a web page or a shingle outside of my shop advertising “trigger jobs” nor anything else.

Thaine
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 11:46:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Not at all. Bill no longer comes around here because of his "trigger jobs" and quality CS.

Link Posted: 6/5/2012 3:40:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Are their similar competitors out there that offer better service at the same price point?

Yes and no. There are finished products available which are considerably higher in quality at only slightly higher cost.

Link Posted: 6/5/2012 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Oops nevermind
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Got mine done 2 years ago and it still shoots very well. I did it through the mail. Things can change?
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 5:11:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 5:37:22 PM EDT
[#18]
mine seem to be very good with no problems

Link Posted: 6/5/2012 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I had Bill work a trigger for me and I am still pleased with it a couple of years on.  However, I'm afraid that his AR business is up against some serious competition from ALG, and my next specialized trigger will be an ALG ACT (and the one after that a Gisselle SSA, unless I do it in reverse order )

My Bill Springfield tuned trigger had a significant amount of drag and grit removed, had the springs adjusted for lightness, and had a stop welded onto the bottom of the trigger to limit forward travel.  It clicks over at about 5 pounds, if I remember correctly, and that's fine with me.  But with all the stories about triggers that Bill worked on failing, I do a thorough function check before I head to the range, and again at the range,  Paranoid?  Me?
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Indeed, OP's story is similar to the one posted by the gentleman who took his 3 or 4 HK pistols for trigger jobs. Then Travis at HKUSA had to replace all the parts Springfield fucked up in the process of doing a "trigger job."

Link Posted: 6/5/2012 8:31:38 PM EDT
[#21]
He's a metal hack.  Might as well let a four year old with a hacksaw grind on your trigger.

Learned my lesson after having two of his triggers fail.

I can't believe the guy still gets people to send him triggers.

You want a good trigger, check out the geiselle ALG.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 10:31:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 11:04:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Fuck that guy and his go burst/full auto any time trigger groups.. I am speaking from experience. I could've ended up in jail if I was at a range.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 2:04:35 AM EDT
[#24]
So somehow a guy that has been in business for a long time is now scum because he is not able to produce perfection every time he touches something?  I think it is possible to make negative comments that do not include such personal comments.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 2:16:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I had him work on a trigger for a 9mm build and love it. Mind you that was several years ago and back then, they returned wrapped in JP yellow springs. The trigger has a few thousand rounds thru it and is as crisp today as the day I got it. When I was shopping for another, I called and was told that the JP springs are an "option" now where before they were standard. I don't know whats happened, but he used to put out some very nice triggers. That said, I'm looking at the Spikes Battle Trigger for my next.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#27]
His products are junk. I can't for the life off me figure why anyone would use him.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Fuck that guy and his go burst/full auto any time trigger groups.. I am speaking from experience. I could've ended up in jail if I was at a range.

I was at a range and it drew a lot of attention.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 3:33:26 PM EDT
[#29]
spike Nib fcg and some jp springs probably just as good  or better than most trigger jobs.

Link Posted: 6/6/2012 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Lol, that sucks.  I'm kinda glad I do my own, I have over 8k rounds out my first trigger job with no problems.  I have no idea what the pull weight is probably 4-5# but she breaks like glass  you put the sight on it and its just hits every time.  Its not extremly hard to do you just need to take your time :)
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
So somehow a guy that has been in business for a long time is now scum because he is not able to produce perfection every time he touches something?  I think it is possible to make negative comments that do not include such personal comments.

It's not like he's selling egg beaters that don't work. His work creates risks of injury and criminal prosecution.  

Which does not make him the scum that some people are painting him as.  I haven't yet seen a gun that couldn't be screwed up by a misguided tinkerer, yet how many people who post "I smoothed my trigger and then it doubled at the range" get raked across the coals? It doesn't sound like there is a hard and fast "all of his work is crap" line of evidence here, particularly since there are some posting here, me included, whose triggers are not crap after he worked on it.

The use of a product in a firearm is the responsibility of the gun owner, particularly the safety and correct functioning of that product.  Anybody who slaps any trigger parts in an AR and just runs to the range with the gun is the one responsible for what the gun does, whether the parts were butchered by an idiot with sandpaper, or were carefully polished by a guy with decades of experience doing that very task.

I just think that a) way too many people are acting like asses in calling names and casting aspersions on Springfield, and b) at least as many people are taking this personally, but incorrectly so, i.e. blaming a third party for putting them in jeopardy when they failed to take the simple, prudent steps of doing a function test on their gun after puting in the parts.  Of course I get irked when people post "Company X sold me a part that doesn't work" and appear to have never even thought about contacting Company X and letting them fix the problem immediately.  Guess I just have thin skin.
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 4:16:01 AM EDT
[#32]
I don't think 4 sets of triggers would have been "carefully polished by a guy with decades of experiance" in 30 minutes time.

The triggers were never even touched,and the OP was told to come back in 30 minutes

I've noticed that the fanboys on this site will go to great lengths defending their masters,no matter how fucked-up the situation is.
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 5:30:41 AM EDT
[#33]
GHPorter,  I think you have missed something.  Function checking after installation was fine, and in fact the triggers (I had 4 done) worked for a while, but its the randomness that they will go full auto which was my highest concern for obvious reasons.  When I called him about it he was a total asshole... mind you this is after he sent me one trigger group with just a trigger, as in no hammer or sear, then when I called about that he sent me some other parts, and that trigger didn't even work.
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 10:03:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Don't bother trying to change the guys mind.He is obviously a Springfield fanboy,and nothing will change his stupidity.

With these types,even if they got a shitty trigger themselves,it will still be everyone else's fault,everyone but Springfield
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 11:29:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#36]
I am not a "fan boy" and strongly object to being branded as such.  I am commenting on the horrendous amount of hate directed against Springfield, not on whether or not triggers he worked on "work.". It IS possible to express the sentiment that one thinks his work is shoddy without calling him horrible names.  I did not ever say that I thought he was some sort of saint, only that it was uncalledfor to be as venomous and hateful in characterizing him.  He could donate to orphanages, rescue starving sparrows and lead a team of mountain rescue troops, but based in what seems in most cases to be second and third-hand reports many ARFCOM members bash the man himself, not his work.

Bashing a person because you don't think he makes a good product or provides a good service is a poor example of intelligent discussion.
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I only said his triggers have a history of problems, for all I know he's grinding the fuck out all those innocent triggers because he has 10 foster kids to feed. I have never heard anyone complain that he was rude, didn't do the work paid for etc.

Precisely my point.  If his work is the problem, which it seems is the case, then I would think adults would be able to discuss his work, and not declare him a horrible person.
Aimless, I see why you were chosen as a moderator.  You have been cool headed and you have written logical and data-driven posts on this subject.  On the other hand, a lot of others have posted filth about the man himself, and that is the reason for the vehemence of my previous post. If we grow up and discuss the issue, we can all learn.  If we descend to the level of children who cannot separate the act from the actor, then discussion deteriorates into name calling with no real purpose, and nobody benefits in any way.
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 5:41:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Customer service issues aside, Ive had 2 trigger groups done by springfield.  They feel great out of the box, but both turned full auto within a few hundred rounds. They are ruined. Save your money and your criminal record, DO NOT let Springfield touch your guns!  He was very fast to reply when I was trying to send him money, as soon as i had a problem he wouldnt respond. His money back guarantee is a LIE!  Im going to surrender my parts to the local ATF office and let them decide if this guy should be selling machine gun parts
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#40]
You just saved yourself from having 4 machine guns later on.
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#41]
i have only been here a couple months and this is like the third thread i have seen on this guy.

I would say the op is completely justified on giving his impressions of the man he met in person and I can understand the frustration of those who have had bad work done and wish to express it to others.

Thanks for the heads up folks
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 8:09:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Buy a trigger. It's hard to believe anyone is still stoning them, particularly with his string of trigger failures  

There have been reports of his triggers doubling and firing bursts for years.

My one that I had would double.  I tried all his suggestions on filing it down.  Decided to remove it and go with RRA 2 stage
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 4:03:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Yous means Bill Springfield can has gives me fulls autos?
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 6:27:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Used his triggers acouple of times and found his quailty to run Hot and Cold. Bought a ALG trigger for my latest build. Looks to be the "Fill" between the stock and a good two stage.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 7:23:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I only said his triggers have a history of problems, for all I know he's grinding the fuck out all those innocent triggers because he has 10 foster kids to feed. I have never heard anyone complain that he was rude, didn't do the work paid for etc.

Precisely my point.  If his work is the problem, which it seems is the case, then I would think adults would be able to discuss his work, and not declare him a horrible person.
Aimless, I see why you were chosen as a moderator.  You have been cool headed and you have written logical and data-driven posts on this subject.  On the other hand, a lot of others have posted filth about the man himself, and that is the reason for the vehemence of my previous post. If we grow up and discuss the issue, we can all learn.  If we descend to the level of children who cannot separate the act from the actor, then discussion deteriorates into name calling with no real purpose, and nobody benefits in any way.

Your work reflects your character in my book.  But maybe that's just me.  If someone sold me a car with faulty breaks and KNEW they put in shoddy craftsmanship that may have led to accident/bodily harm, you better believe I'd respect them less as a man as well as less of a car salesman.  I think it's only natural to question a person's integrity based upon their work ethic and attention to detail, especially in a business of this nature.  It's one thing if this guy was selling rotten apples, but he's selling a service that has direct legal/safety ramifications.  I think that puts his character clearly in play for discussion.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 7:30:48 AM EDT
[#46]
He has done 4 trigger jobs for me.  mu full size usp he installed a match trigger and installed the LEM ki and reduced the creep. my usp compact he just did a reg trigger job.  my hk g36 and hk91 he did a normal trigger job on as well and reduced the creep on them both.  the 2 usps and g36 have 1000's of rounds through them without an issue.  the hk91 i just havent shot as much and only about 200 rounds through it without any issues.  any future trigger jobs will still be sent to him.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#47]
I read a response that springfield wrote in regards to criticism of his work.  He said that AR Mil Spec triggers were not only surfaced hardened, but hardened through out.  This has been proven false many times.   I am sure he knows this, he stays in business because most people do not get enough pulls on the trigger to get to failure.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 5:01:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I read a response that springfield wrote in regards to criticism of his work.  He said that AR Mil Spec triggers were not only surfaced hardened, but hardened through out.  This has been proven false many times.   I am sure he knows this, he stays in business because most people do not get enough pulls on the trigger to get to failure.

And because many people don't do jack shit for research, OR they think that it won't happen to them.
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 9:47:24 AM EDT
[#49]
damn emailed for a quote: $94...mmm CMC has a bad ass .mil discount direct from them, but they're backed up 4 weeks
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 2:53:16 PM EDT
[#50]
With an ALG trigger selling for 65.00 from a known to be reliable manufacturer and industry partner, sending a trigger off to ANYONE for a "trigger job" seems to be a
thing of the past and something nobody should be doing.

I'm not willing to allow anyone to polish, file, or jack with a stock trigger for free much less pay for the service. The risk is too high and any possible gain is far too low.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top