Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/26/2012 8:53:40 AM EDT
I'm building a M16A1, I have a barrel with no sight base attached.  I ordered a front sight base and front sight bins.  How do I install the sight base and pins?  Is the barrel suppose to have grooves cut in it for the pins?
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 8:56:18 AM EDT
[#1]
the fsb should be aligned on the barrel and then drilled through the fsb and the barrel then pins inserted. This should be done by a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:00:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm building a M16A1, I have a barrel with no sight base attached.  I ordered a front sight base and front sight bins.  How do I install the sight base and pins?  Is the barrel suppose to have grooves cut in it for the pins?

This is not generally an end user project.
You would be better off to send it out to ADCO and have them pin it.

Or buy  the fixtures/jigs for use with your drill press...
BRD Engineering

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:02:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Some barrels have groves and others don't.

The pins are driven in by a mall hammer and held in by friction. They should be tapered for this purpose. Go slow and test fit the base.

To align the gas holes use this trick.
Slide the base on the barrel.
Plug or cover one end of the barrel, taping is good.
Attach an air line to the other end. Turn on the air at low pressure.

Rotate the base until the max flow of air is heard or felt. Mark barrel and base for alignment. Align and tap in the pins to succure the base. Easy.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:08:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Some barrels have groves and others don't.

The pins are driven in by a mall hammer and held in by friction. They should be tapered for this purpose. Go slow and test fit the base.

To align the gas holes use this trick.
Slide the base on the barrel.
Plug or cover one end of the barrel, taping is good.
Attach an air line to the other end. Turn on the air at low pressure.

Rotate the base until the max flow of air is heard or felt. Mark barrel and base for alignment. Align and tap in the pins to succure the base. Easy.

Good luck.

If it was that easy why do they use alignment fixtures and drill jigs ?

Without those, you would need a little luck.

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is the barrel suppose to have grooves cut in it for the pins?

Drilling and pinning is a mating process, to attach the two parts together.  Mated parts are not generally interchangable.  A barrel with grooves already in it would be unlikely to fit a predrilled front sight base.

This is a more involved gunsmithing type operation and you need some tools and really a drill press to do it reasonably.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Just send it to ADCO. They pricing is reasonable and their turn around time is good.  A friend of mine insisted on having his "gun smith" buddy drill the barrel and FSB for taper pins despite me advising against it... sure enough, he got a canted FSB that was all fucked up. Lol...
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top