Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2011 7:48:26 AM EDT
yes any suggestions on buying a good quality ar-15 kit( less lower reciever) for a good price? I have bought 4 kits from Blackthorne products and 3 had to go back for stuff that was not working or quality issues and every time i had to eat the return shipping. so i am done with them so i need to find someone that is reliable and good priced please help
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 8:02:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Try Palmetto State Armory.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 8:02:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Go to Palmetto State Armory. They have a complete build kit - the lower receiver for $479. The difference in quality between PSA and Blackthorne would be like standing Eva Mendes next to Rosie O' Donnell.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 8:26:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Must say I was not impressed with their standard safety selector.  Not very crisp and much to be desired.  I can't say anything about their fcg because I just needed the other parts.  The stock kit was great.

ETA: I believe blackthorne is one company to stay away from correct?
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Look into Legal Transfers on the EE.  Pete is very helpful, give im a call.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 7:43:03 PM EDT
[#5]
yes i had one kit that the lower parts kit was so out of wack that it slam fired and would rip off a 30 round mag after you pulled the trigger on the first shot. replaced it with a bushmaster kit and it ran fine.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 8:30:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
yes i had one kit that the lower parts kit was so out of wack that it slam fired and would rip off a 30 round mag after you pulled the trigger on the first shot. replaced it with a bushmaster kit and it ran fine.

A slam fire would have nothing to do with a lpk.  Not, installing the disconnect spring correctly could result in your 30rd mag rip, even then I think you would need an M16 bolt and all that.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Del-ton is a good one. I have purchased two and have never any issues. Palmetto is good too from what my one of my local FFL guys says.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 3:52:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I used a combination of Del-ton and Palmetto state for  my last build........both sell quality stuff............
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 4:18:59 AM EDT
[#9]
the last kit i put together from them Blackthorn after about 5 to 10 rounds it would pull out the fron gas ring and it would jam the gun. looked in the carrier and found no burrs or any thing i could see. not sure what it was but again they would not stand behind there product so now i am done with them!
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 4:54:23 AM EDT
[#10]
M&A, Model 1, PSA have all been great suppliers for me. Stay away from Blackthorne unless you are mechanically inclined and enjoy repairing repeated failures...
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 6:49:53 AM EDT
[#11]
PSA and Del-Ton have good quality kits and excellent reputations for that simple reason.  You take your chances with the others.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 7:33:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Try Palmetto State Armory.

+1000

For kits they rule the roost.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have bought several kits from Pete and he will treat you right.

Link Posted: 7/7/2011 2:34:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Have a 20" HBAR kit from Del-Ton on a Double Star Lower and a 16" mid length on the BBT leaving N. Carolina as we speak. Kinda hard getting used to plastic and aluminum when your a STEEL AND WALNUT man.   but......they look good to me. I have upgraded to the CL HBAR with Green stocks for $541 each delivered.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 4:05:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:The difference in quality between PSA and Blackthorne would be like standing Eva Mendes next to Rosie O' Donnell.

Great analogy!
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#16]
The Model 1 rifle kit I put together has been pretty good so far.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 7:23:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have bought several kits from Pete and he will treat you right.

Nice guy. Didn't buy a kit, but he's GTG.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 7:39:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I got a kit from model 1 at a gun show about a year and a half ago. Kit went together fine other than a missing roll pin which they promptly mailed me. Rifle is still shooting straight and goes bang every time. I'd buy from them again with no worries.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top