BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:52:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Another thought (you may have this already) is a manual adjustment on the gas system since you will have a new carrier mass, spring rate, and gas inpulse energy system. You could slowly increase the gas until its working.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 9:20:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Small update, was feeling a bit artsy, so I chopped up a SSS brake shield and turned it into a PDR muzzle device.  Welded in the front diffuser thingy and popped some holes.
Threads right on the YHM QD brake mount, same as the suppressor.
Going to blast it and cerakote it later.

Link Posted: 2/6/2014 9:30:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I hate you and your machining skills RDTCU
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 9:35:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Go buy some equipment, a machinist's handbook and start playing

BTW, if the front of the muzzle device looks a bit funny, it's perspective because it is dished at ~8 degrees, just because.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 9:48:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

BTW, if the front of the muzzle device looks a bit funny, it's perspective because it is dished at ~8 degrees, just because.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got the knowledge, I just dont have anywhere to play practice.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 12:19:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Small update, was feeling a bit artsy, so I chopped up a SSS brake shield and turned it into a PDR muzzle device.  Welded in the front diffuser thingy and popped some holes.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/devtucker/Concepts/IMG_20140206_210128_025.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/devtucker/Concepts/IMG_20140206_210109_959.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/devtucker/Concepts/IMG_20140206_210056_064.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/devtucker/Concepts/IMG_20140206_210017_140.jpg
View Quote

You know, that's a pretty damn good idea of a way to make some custom flash hiders. Good job, btw.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 9:55:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/devtucker/Concepts/IMG_20140206_210128_025.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/devtucker/Concepts/IMG_20140206_210109_959.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/devtucker/Concepts/IMG_20140206_210056_064.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/devtucker/Concepts/IMG_20140206_210017_140.jpg
View Quote

OMG!  That is a hell of an idea!  I was looking for something like that to cover the flash hider on my .300 blackout barrel until I get my can (YHM 7.62 Ti).  My flash hider sits under the rail and this would allow me to continue to shoot it even without the can.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 11:13:15 AM EDT
[#8]
This is what it started as, the brake shield from Simplistic Shooting Solutions.
I just lightened it up and added the front cap. for the right look with my PDR.

They make two YHM versions, but either will work with both the 5.56 and 7.62 mounts, the only difference is length.

Weapon Outfitters is the only distributor right now.

Link Posted: 2/7/2014 11:38:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check out a MakerSpace.  The one nearest me has all kinds of machining tools.  They ask for 5 bucks a month for membership and I think another 5 to be checked out on the gear.

Witchita

Johnson County

Hutchinson

Hope that helps!
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Check out a MakerSpace.  The one nearest me has all kinds of machining tools.  They ask for 5 bucks a month for membership and I think another 5 to be checked out on the gear.

Witchita

Johnson County

Hutchinson

Hope that helps!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Witchita

Johnson County

Hutchinson

Hope that helps!

Sweet thank you
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My flash hider sits under the rail and this would allow me to continue to shoot it even without the can.
View Quote

I've got a 8" .300 barrel in a ~11" YHM rail with a YHM flash hider mount for my pending Ti30 can.
I slipped in a 1.75" OD, 1.625" ID stainless tube for the first few inches of tube and added a small flush head screw threw the bottom rail, under the AFG.
That should keep the blast off of my fingers when I've got a forward grip, and I don't have anything to remove from deep down in the rail.

One of the SSS shields could be modified to work though, but with my setup, there would be no way to get a grip on it without a custom pin wrench or something.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 9:28:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Got another brake shield for the RFB YHM brake, here's what It started as.

On that note, I'm shooting my usual monthly local 2-gun match next weekend, thinking about mixing it up a bit.  It's mostly CQ stuff, and I normally shoot my 7.5" SBR, but I'm considering shooting the RFB this time, just because

I picked up the brake shield so that I don't get a concussion from the brake between barrels and in the shoothouse.

I'm always in the top 10% with my AR, I wonder how much slower I'll be with the RFB.  I think I've perfected my bullpup reload though.

vs

(with a YHM brake suppressor mount instead of the Vortex)
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 5:26:31 AM EDT
[#13]
holy shit this thread is still here.  I remember reading it back when it first started!  Looks like you've made progress.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 8:00:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
holy shit this thread is still here.  I remember reading it back when it first started!  Looks like you've made progress.  
View Quote

But I started this thread in 2010  

(wow, i'm really dragging this thing out, aren't I... )
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 9:41:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, but I'm not likely to give you much grief over it, because I've got an FAL build that started long enough ago that it's got an Imbel parts kit that I got cheap, Falcon trigger group parts, and green Penguin (spelling?) blemished furniture.  If I had been able to come up with $100 more than I had, when I stumbled onto a DSA receiver at a gun show, years ago, I'd have a dirt cheap FAL build.  But I ended up finding a DCI receiver much more recently (and paid more than I could have gotten the DSA receiver for), and still haven't gotten around to refinishing all the parts from the Imbel kit.

Having no shortage of projects, tends to cause most of them to take much more time than they could.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 1:25:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah, I saw that earlier today, kinda resembles KelTec's upcoming RDB and M43, which are ugly as sin
It does look a bit sleeker, wonder how many commas that price tag is going to have...

http://bullpupforum.com/gallery/1_30_12_13_11_16_50.jpeg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Figured I would liven up the thread a bit

+bump

http://www.guns.com/2014/01/09/desert-tech-rolling-new-five-caliber-bullpup-2014/

Yeah, I saw that earlier today, kinda resembles KelTec's upcoming RDB and M43, which are ugly as sin
It does look a bit sleeker, wonder how many commas that price tag is going to have...

http://bullpupforum.com/gallery/1_30_12_13_11_16_50.jpeg

I'm just gonna leave this here for motivation for OP to finish the project.

Link Posted: 2/10/2014 2:05:11 AM EDT
[#17]
you could always start a safe thread to go with this one of even a rocket propelled varmint...
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:02:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 9:07:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Any progress on the design?
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Any progress on the design?
View Quote

A bit, nothing worth showing, I've been slammed the last couple weeks at work, and getting my car taken care of because the wrench monkeys at the body shop do more harm than good.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 2:59:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Have a friend that finally got settled into his apprenticeship in a tool and die shop, and he got the nod to cut me a bolt on the CNC in his free time...
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:54:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Patiently awaiting updates.

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Patiently awaiting updates.

View Quote

Well my one free hookup fell through, didn't want the liability.  I've got another friend that might be able to help me out with the profile and cam tracks, if nothing else.

I'm trying to avoid doing it here at work, our old Hurco in the toolroom is, well, old...

I may just call a local shop and pay them to rough it out for me, it would save a ton of setup time.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 12:33:28 PM EDT
[#24]
This is one of the few threads I subscribe to. I can't wait to see this PDR in action.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 10:38:16 AM EDT
[#25]
What does the bolt look like?  
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 10:40:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Breech end on the left.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Moar!
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Can you sent me a drawing...or a solidworks file? I'll get Chris to look at it and see what we'll need tooling wise to do it....
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 10:12:22 PM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/devtucker/bolt.png

Breech end on the left.

I"m not going to read this whole thread, but I'm guessing you dropped the AR style bolt and went with some kind of tilting design?
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 11:03:40 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm just about ready to set up some digital readouts on my old Bridgeport Series 1, but this thread is seriously making me think about the full CNC retrofit.  But Holy Shit, I just don't think I can afford that.

The original plan was to be able to complete some 80% lowers, but milling out any lower you want from a cheap raw forging sounds too awesome to not consider. Especially when I'm this fortunate to even have one of these on my property.

Tell me what's possible.

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:25:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Go ahead and tag this...
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 5:54:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Can you sent me a drawing...or a solidworks file? I'll get Chris to look at it and see what we'll need tooling wise to do it....
View Quote

Haha sure, I need to go over it one more time before I call it good, but anything that will save me a dozen or so setups would sure help me out...

Do you happen to have a good source for heat treating and nitriding?  I don't really trust most of our usual work sources with the critical stuff...
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Day 1,396
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:38:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Day 1,396
View Quote

Rome wasn't built in a day, let alone by one man.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:54:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Day 1,396

I'm just messin. There was reference to this being like a safe thread so somebody had to do it
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 5:11:21 PM EDT
[#36]
updates?
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 5:33:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
updates?
View Quote

Stamp showed up last week  
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 6:03:31 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
updates?

Link Posted: 5/18/2014 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm just about ready to set up some digital readouts on my old Bridgeport Series 1, but this thread is seriously making me think about the full CNC retrofit.  But Holy Shit, I just don't think I can afford that.

The original plan was to be able to complete some 80% lowers, but milling out any lower you want from a cheap raw forging sounds too awesome to not consider. Especially when I'm this fortunate to even have one of these on my property.

Tell me what's possible.

http://i.imgur.com/OfcADMh.jpg?1

View Quote

Put a nice quality 3 axis DRO on it and you will be good to go for most of your needs...granted, a full CNC retrofit will let you do so much more
but are you willing to spend the 4-5 grand to have the work done to the machine for that to happen...That is the milling machine I worked with
back in my University days way back when...Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 10:32:33 PM EDT
[#40]
I think OP is going for an ARFcom record for longest standing project thread
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 1:13:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe so, gotta be famous for something
Too bad my job doesn't pay me for my projects.  Planning to make some progress tomorrow, I should have some time for a little machining.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 1:24:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Too bad my job doesn't pay me for my projects.  Planning to make some progress tomorrow, I should have some time for a little machining.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DAY 10,193

Link Posted: 5/26/2014 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HUZZAH!!! PROGRESS!!!!
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

HUZZAH!!! PROGRESS!!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HUZZAH!!! PROGRESS!!!!

We need more progress and pictures. MOAR.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#45]
what cad software are you using op?
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 1:01:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
what cad software are you using op?
View Quote

Solidworks, I've got a personal copy of 2007, but my old Killernotebooks laptop finally bit the dust this week,  so I'm shopping for a new cad laptop....
Most of my stuff is backed up, but I've made a few changes that I'll have to salvage off of the original drive...
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 9:26:09 PM EDT
[#47]
I know you've probably answered this a few times but what does RDTCU stand for?
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 7:17:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Old AIM screen name from ~2000, that's how everyone communicated in college

My initials, followed by my school initials.

ETA:  New laptop is supposed to show up today, I'll try to get SW on it this afternoon, but I'll have to get a cradle or something to get my latest models and such from my old hard drive.

Went with a Lenovo W530 beast
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 8:36:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

ETA:  New laptop is supposed to show up today, I'll try to get SW on it this afternoon, but I'll have to get a cradle or something to get my latest models and such from my old hard drive.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol old AIM. I still have an AOL email address I use for bullcrap sign ups.
You oughta upgrade to SW 2012-13. I might could get you a copy of it if you don't need SW tech support.
Go to best buy. They should be able to transfer your hard drive for not too much. I know they sell the cradles next to the hard drives.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 8:59:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You oughta upgrade to SW 2012-13. I might could get you a copy of it if you don't need SW tech support.
Go to best buy. They should be able to transfer your hard drive for not too much. I know they sell the cradles next to the hard drives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been working on an old copy of SW07 for personal stuff, it's the only open copy I've got, but I would love to have something newer
We're on 2012 here at work, but it's all network/floating license stuff and I'm not letting our IT anywhere near my personal computer...
Not to mention we don't have the simulation/FEA license, whereas my personal copy has Cosmos.
Page / 16
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top