Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2007 4:49:58 PM EDT
I'm trying to get a peel washer installed on my rifle per my suppressor manual's instructions. Alright how do I use a peel washer? I don't see any "shims". I just got two parts. One is thicker than the other. The 2nd part is thinner but is sort of cupped.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/18/2007 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Heat it and the layers will separate a little... Then peel off layer(s) as necessary
Link Posted: 5/18/2007 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#2]
sounds like you have a crush washer not a peel washer. i have no clue on how to post pics. but if some one else did you could see the differance.
Link Posted: 5/18/2007 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
sounds like you have a crush washer not a peel washer. i have no clue on how to post pics. but if some one else did you could see the differance.

This image is from AR15Barrels.

ar15barrels.com/tech/washers.jpg

What I have is the peel washer. Looks exactly like that.

I've been heating up the thicker part for awhile now but still no shims. I'm at a loss of how to get this thing apart.
Link Posted: 5/18/2007 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been heating up the thicker part for awhile now but still no shims. I'm at a loss of how to get this thing apart.

Nevermind. I finally got the shims. However, even with the peel washer and one shim I can't get the flats lined up at 3 and 9. With just the peel washer part it won't time correctly. Is it ok that I just use the shim and no peel washer? I'm trying to get this A2 flashhider on so I can mount my sound suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/19/2007 1:41:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nevermind. I finally got the shims. However, even with the peel washer and one shim I can't get the flats lined up at 3 and 9. With just the peel washer part it won't time correctly. Is it ok that I just use the shim and no peel washer? I'm trying to get this A2 flashhider on so I can mount my sound suppressor.

Afternoon bump.
Link Posted: 5/20/2007 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/20/2007 1:32:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Peel washers require more trial and error, but the end result is superior.

Heat + something sharp = any thickness you want.

Link Posted: 5/20/2007 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the replies.

The peel washer came in two parts like in Randall's picture. Does the thicker part (upper washer under "peel washer" in Randall's picture) peel as well? No combination of peel washer and shims will index properly on my barrel. . Even with just the peel washer the flats index to about the 1 and 7 oclock positions.
Link Posted: 5/20/2007 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#9]
A peel washer is all layers--sounds like you have not separated them all.  They are made of layers the same thickness (actually as thin as seen in the geregw45 post above post).

EDIT clarity
Link Posted: 5/20/2007 8:20:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/20/2007 9:32:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The peel washer came in two parts like in Randall's picture. Does the thicker part (upper washer under "peel washer" in Randall's picture) peel as well? No combination of peel washer and shims will index properly on my barrel. . Even with just the peel washer the flats index to about the 1 and 7 oclock positions.

My picture shows a new peel washer (top) and part of a used one (bottom)

You just gave some useful information.
You have not figured out how to "peel" a peel washer yet.

Since the mount indexes at 1:00 and 7:00, it sounds like you need the mount to tighten on about 60 degrees more.
In this case, get your lighter, heat up the peel washer and remove about 0.004" worth of layers and then re-try the mount and see how close you are then when it's tight.

First off, thanks for your help.

This is what I have so far.

When I first got the peel washer, it came apart in two parts. The first part is the one on the left. The second part is compose of all the parts on the right. I warmed up the left part and it would not come apart. It appears solid. I then tried the second part and it came apart in to the pile on the right.

With the left part and all the shims, the LMT A2 flashhider flats will be at 1:00 and 7:00 with the bottom of the A2 facing NW (looking at it straight on). Now if I remove all the shims and just have the left part, the flashhider flats will be at 1:00 and 7:00 with the bottom of the A2 facing SE.

I just pulled off a Bushmaster A2 flash hider and it finally timed correctly with the whole peel washer. This LMT A2 flash hider just doesn't want to time correctly on any of my rifles.
Link Posted: 5/20/2007 10:22:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top