AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By blainet:
80%  are available here now

I thought "80%" receivers couldn't have the magazine well milled out, but these do.
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Hello.

The latest ruling that I have seen dealt with the fire control group and pocket.  "Attach a barrel and fire control group" are what seems to govern.  I have seen this quote also in regards to AR's.... Any marks, holes, starter holes, indicators, slots, milling, drilling, etc, etc of any kind qualify it as a firearm.  This part from YellowLogic has a solid block there.
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 6:22:44 AM EDT
[#3]
So if you purchase a 60% or 80% and complete it do you have to file a form with atf or put any info on the firearm? If not  does anybody have link to regs on this i looked at all the links I dont see any where that it stake that this is ok. I just want to be sure before i build one and find out the hard way.
Thanks
Jim
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:03:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By madmacs:
So if you purchase a 60% or 80% and complete it do you have to file a form with atf or put any info on the firearm? If not  does anybody have link to regs on this i looked at all the links I dont see any where that it stake that this is ok. I just want to be sure before i build one and find out the hard way.
Thanks
Jim

From horses mouth
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/building_a_firearm.pdf
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#5]
If you manufacture a weapon for your personal use, no serial number or other markings need to be on the weapon, I remeber when the Spectre was being manufactured and tested. Fired many of the prototypes, that did not have any markings.  The ATF did not require markings until produced for sale.
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#6]
From the KT Ordnance site:
While we are required by law to accept FRN's (FRN = Federal Reserve Notes), we prefer to accept payment in gold and silver coins.
As an added incentive, we offer a discount on orders paid with Gold/Silver Eagles.

Our monetary denomination for Gold/Silver Eagles is the face value (fv) of gold and silver coins as described in the Constitution.

Payment can be tendered in Gold/Silver Eagles or FRNs.

SILVER
Silver Eagles - $1 sfv (1 oz.)

GOLD
Gold Eagles - $50 gfv (1 oz.), $25 gfv (0.50 oz.), $10 gfv (0.25 oz.), $5 gfv (0.10 oz.)

Am I reading this right?! They give a small discount on orders paid using gold coins at FACE VALUE? So, for a 1 ounce gold coin worth nearly $1,000 they will credit you for the $50 face value?

So If you pay for the 60% receiver with 4 $50 gold coins they will send you back a $25 discount even though you just gave them $4,000.00??? WTF are they talking about?

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:04:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By tnolley:
From the KT Ordnance site:
While we are required by law to accept FRN's (FRN = Federal Reserve Notes), we prefer to accept payment in gold and silver coins.
As an added incentive, we offer a discount on orders paid with Gold/Silver Eagles.

Our monetary denomination for Gold/Silver Eagles is the face value (fv) of gold and silver coins as described in the Constitution.

Payment can be tendered in Gold/Silver Eagles or FRNs.

SILVER
Silver Eagles - $1 sfv (1 oz.)

GOLD
Gold Eagles - $50 gfv (1 oz.), $25 gfv (0.50 oz.), $10 gfv (0.25 oz.), $5 gfv (0.10 oz.)

Am I reading this right?! They give a small discount on orders paid using gold coins at FACE VALUE? So, for a 1 ounce gold coin worth nearly $1,000 they will credit you for the $50 face value?

So If you pay for the 60% receiver with 4 $50 gold coins they will send you back a $25 discount even though you just gave them $4,000.00??? WTF are they talking about?

There's actually different prices listed as well... for example....

From their website:
KT-15-A - Aluminum Frame
- $12.00 sfv / $10.00 gfv <- what's this?
- $250.00 FRN
so- a 10.00 gfv (which is .25 of an ounce) would cost 250...

It's no discount, actually being that gold is just over 1k, it's a bit more expensive... but not nearly as bad as you were thinking... :)
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 8:40:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Question...  How difficult is it to machine out the FCG pocket and take-down pocket?  I looked over the initial post, and I can't find information regarding that.  

Whats the procedure for that?
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 9:30:01 PM EDT
[#9]

ost.

Link Posted: 11/16/2009 9:54:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Are the kits pictured here available any where, click for larger image:
Link Posted: 12/29/2009 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#11]
With the new ATF opinion regarding the solid FCG pocket there is more work to do.

Get a 3 in 1 machine if you can afford it, it's the easiest way to do the work and has lots of other uses if you need to convince yourself to spend the money.

Use a long roughing end mill to take most of the metal out of the FCG pocket.
Use a long cut 3 or 4 flute end mill to do your finish work.
Take your time and you will have a project to be proud of.

I have several types of jigs and find the baxter to be the easiest to clamp and hold in the machine, the jig screws are recessed, the jig is taller and sits on the mill table flat making the entire setup easier.
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#12]
someone told me doing an 80% build would get them around the awb in ct being that its made in ct by a ct resident for themselfs. i know nothing about this subject im just asking what your thoughts on this are
Link Posted: 5/7/2010 6:38:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TANGOCHASER] [#13]
If you think about it, a lower with the FCG but not magwell machined can still fire single shot when attached to an upper. Rounds can be loaded by hand. Probably the reason for the ATF rule change.

KTO also changed the design of the kT15B. I aquired the front and rear havles from a guy who had them in his safe for years. KTO sold me just the side plates and the differences are dramatic. The new plates can not be made to work with older front and back pieces. Predrilled holes are in different position, curved edge on plates doesn't match curved edge on rear pieces, and there is more material that needs to be removed.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 8:39:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By corylurk:
someone told me doing an 80% build would get them around the awb in ct being that its made in ct by a ct resident for themselfs. i know nothing about this subject im just asking what your thoughts on this are

TOTALLY WRONG!

Seems like a lot of people are trying to find "loopholes" in CT's AWB lately.  Unless the AR was manufactured prior to September of 1994 it is not pre-ban and must comply with the AWB.  Just a reminder, but there are plenty of police officers who don't understand the law as it is, and even real pre-bans come under scrutiny.  Possessing a weapon in violation of the AWB is a felony and a sure way to permanently eliminate yourself from legally owning a firearm ever again.

As a side note, if you visit the New England hometown forum we have a tacked thread dealing exactly with this stuff.
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 7:33:09 PM EDT
[#15]
QCMGR,

Thank you very much sir (I assume).

I thought I was "attention to detail oriented" haha!  Very nice write up here.

I hope you all have a good Veterans Day.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Some links are dead.

This is current www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/general.html#gca-manufacturing
Link Posted: 2/28/2013 7:27:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Nice etching!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top