User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 9:54:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tomac:

Yes, there's both a switch & remote port on the tailcap.
ETA: I have two of these and the location of the port & switch is about 45 degrees different between them if that's important to you.
View Quote

Thanks for the reply man.
Been looking forward to these for a while.
Trying to NOT spend Cloud Defensive or Modlite money.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 11:11:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#2]
Just got back from the range. Here are a couple of pics comparing the Olight PL Turbo (800 L, 66k C) w/the HL-X Pro (1,000 L, 50k C). Similar (but not identical) performance, the Olight's greenish tint is apparent when comparing them side-by-side.
Sorry for the poor quality of the FruitPhone pics, spousal unit took the pics while I aimed.

You can easily make out the 50yd target slightly to the right and the 100yd target centered in the beam.
It was more easily visible in-person, but the 200yd target stand was slightly easier to see w/the Olight than the HL-X Pro but either could engage a sufficiently contrasted target at that range.
More apparent was the greater spill & situational awareness from the HL-X Pro. Both are fairly well balanced between throw & spill, but I prefer the slightly greater spill & less throw of the HL-X Pro.
ETA: Did 60rds at both 50 & 100yds, the HL-X Pro does a good job of burning through gunpowder-induced glare.

Olight:
Attachment Attached File

Streamlight:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 6:00:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By jhon:
For those that have one, do these flicker when firing?
View Quote

60rds fired last night, no flickering.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 6:23:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Replaced the Streamlight factory mount w/an Arisaka offset Scout mount and it is a big improvement.
Not only is the Streamlight higher & closer in, but now there's no barrel shadow at all.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1593/IMG_0689_jpg-3058733.JPG
View Quote

what is retaining the switch on your x95?
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 9:51:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#5]
Originally Posted By Lapp_Dance:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lapp_Dance:
Replaced the Streamlight factory mount w/an Arisaka offset Scout mount and it is a big improvement.
Not only is the Streamlight higher & closer in, but now there's no barrel shadow at all.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1593/IMG_0689_jpg-3058733.JPG

The lower edge of the picatinny rail and the upper edge of the bottom rail panel form a channel that perfectly fits the Streamlight remote switch. You can either slide the switch into the channel from the front or place the switch first then slide on the bottom rail panel.
The Arisaka light mount prevents fore/aft movement of the switch (or would if there were any room for the switch to move fore/aft, it's a perfect fit) but in an earlier experiment with the standard Streamlight remote switch (ie: shorter w/no constant-on) I discovered a small piece of Velcro (one side only) applied in the channel provided a friction-fit that prevented movement of the switch.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks TOMAC

One more question...

This thing takes standard 18650 batteries correct?

Link Posted: 12/14/2023 10:02:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SMR412:
Thanks TOMAC
One more question...
View Quote

You're welcome!
It should take 18650's, mine seem to work fine when tested w/16550's.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 8:42:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MeatBag] [#8]
Thanks TOMAC

One more question...

View Quote

Yes. Streamlight's SL-B26 rechargeable is an 18650. It's really annoying they don't straight up tell you that. Make sure they're batteries with protection circuits.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 8:44:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MeatBag:
Yes. Streamlight's SL-B26 rechargeable is an 18650. It's really annoying they don't straight up tell you that.
View Quote

Agreed. I suspect it's to increase sales of their own SL-B26.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 9:44:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: acegunner] [#10]
Just got back from the range. Here are a couple of pics comparing the Olight PL Turbo (800 L, 66k C) w/the HL-X Pro (1,000 L, 50k C). Similar (but not identical) performance, the Olight's greenish tint is apparent when comparing them side-by-side.
Sorry for the poor quality of the FruitPhone pics, spousal unit took the pics while I aimed.

You can easily make out the 50yd target slightly to the right and the 100yd target centered in the beam.
It was more easily visible in-person, but the 200yd target stand was slightly easier to see w/the Olight than the HL-X Pro but either could engage a sufficiently contrasted target at that range.
More apparent was the greater spill & situational awareness from the HL-X Pro. Both are fairly well balanced between throw & spill, but I prefer the slightly greater spill & less throw of the HL-X Pro.
ETA: Did 60rds at both 50 & 100yds, the HL-X Pro does a good job of burning through gunpowder-induced glare.

Olight:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1593/Olight_1_jpg-3059066.JPG

Streamlight:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1593/IMG_0693_jpg-3058977.JPG
View Quote

Excellent review. Even better, the point of aim, amd the camera position are on the tits!  It truly allows an exact comparison!

Also, the Arisaka offset mount it super bad ass! I ordered it when I ordered my hl-x and had it before the light. I knew I wanted it and highly recommend it to anyone!

Link Posted: 12/14/2023 10:35:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By acegunner:

Excellent review. Even better, the point of aim, amd the camera position are on the tits!  It truly allows an exact comparison!

Also, the Arisaka offset mount it super bad ass! I ordered it when I ordered my hl-x and had it before the light. I knew I wanted it and highly recommend it to anyone!

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/26/2023 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Yes. Streamlight's SL-B26 rechargeable is an 18650. It's really annoying they don't straight up tell you that. Make sure they're batteries with protection circuits.
View Quote

Thanks very much.
I somehow missed this reply.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Finally had time to tinker and get mine set up with Shaffer switch mounts and am super happy with the way it turned out. Light output on these are awesome too. Only thing better would be TLR 1 HLs next in line to have 50k candela.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 9:17:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Fiyero:
Finally had time to tinker and get mine set up with Shaffer switch mounts and am super happy with the way it turned out. Light output on these are awesome too. Only thing better would be TLR 1 HLs next in line to have 50k candela.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/222364/IMG_5536_jpeg-3073018.JPG
View Quote

Agreed!
I would love to see their TLR-1 HL Long Gun Kit w/50k Candela!
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 8:13:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Glocked] [#15]
Anyone emailed Streamlight with the plug issues for theirs? How long did it take before you received a reply?

Received my HL-X Pro for Christmas. Loving the light and everything about it except for the plug not snapping in.

Link Posted: 12/28/2023 12:32:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Glocked:
Anyone emailed Streamlight with the plug issues for theirs? How long did it take before you received a reply?

Received my HL-X Pro for Christmas. Loving the light and everything about it except for the plug not snapping in.

https://i.imgur.com/PdQm40T.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/5ZQUjp1.jpeg
View Quote

For what it's worth, the plugs on my HL-X Pro's don't snap in as securely as on my TLR-1 Long Gun Kits but after a few hundred rds don't seem to be backing out under recoil.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 1:24:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Glocked] [#17]

For what it's worth, the plugs on my HL-X Pro's don't snap in as securely as on my TLR-1 Long Gun Kits but after a few hundred rds don't seem to be backing out under recoil.
View All Quotes

Thanks for the heads up. I’ve got to find some time this weekend to go try it after dark.

Did the plug seem any more secure on yours when you switched to the pressure pad with the push button on/off?
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 1:40:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Thanks for the heads up. I’ve got to find some time this weekend to go try it after dark.

Did the plug seem any more secure on yours when you switched to the pressure pad with the push button on/off?
View All Quotes

You're welcome!
Both types of remote switch plugs seem equally secure.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 4:45:51 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

The switch they send with the unit is subpar. I ordered my second one without the switch and then just bought the momentary/constant switch separate and it snaps in as it should.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 7:26:27 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote
Which model shaffer switch mount did you buy?  Protac or Protac custom?
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 9:31:19 PM EDT
[#21]

The switch they send with the unit is subpar. I ordered my second one without the switch and then just bought the momentary/constant switch separate and it snaps in as it should.
View All Quotes

Thanks. I sent Streamlight support an email Tuesday morning. If I don’t hear back by next week I’ll probably just order the momentary/constant switch from a retailer.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 10:41:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By BADZ06:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BADZ06:

It’s the standard Protac for the combo switch.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 12:01:45 PM EDT
[#23]
As I mentioned earlier in this post, I had the same issue. Ended up the switch was the problem, not the tailcap. I called Streamlight customer service, left a message, and got a call back in probably 30 minutes or less.

Told the guy I was tempted to tap it with a hammer to see if it seated, but was afraid I would break it. His words were knock the fuck out of it, if it doesn't work, I'll send you another. He gave me his direct phone number and email before hanging up.

BFH method didn't work. I emailed him. I got tracking information a couple hours later. Was at my door two days later.

They went over and above. Never had to use their customer service before. They were definitely on it.

The replacement switches do have a much more solid lockup than my original. They don't have as solid lockup and any Unity/Surefire switches I've used. Also keep in mind these entire light kits with light, switches, mounts, batteries, etc. cost less than most Unity switches.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By twpayne75:
As I mentioned earlier in this post, I had the same issue. Ended up the switch was the problem, not the tailcap. I called Streamlight customer service, left a message, and got a call back in probably 30 minutes or less.

Told the guy I was tempted to tap it with a hammer to see if it seated, but was afraid I would break it. His words were knock the fuck out of it, if it doesn't work, I'll send you another. He gave me his direct phone number and email before hanging up.

BFH method didn't work. I emailed him. I got tracking information a couple hours later. Was at my door two days later.

They went over and above. Never had to use their customer service before. They were definitely on it.

The replacement switches do have a much more solid lockup than my original. They don't have as solid lockup and any Unity/Surefire switches I've used. Also keep in mind these entire light kits with light, switches, mounts, batteries, etc. cost less than most Unity switches.
View Quote

Thanks for the info. Totally agree about the price, even if I have to drop another $40 -/+ on a replacement switch, it’s still a good price on a good light. Not sure if I’ll hear back from support or not, I’ll probably order the replacement this weekend during New Years sales.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Thanks for the info. Totally agree about the price, even if I have to drop another $40 -/+ on a replacement switch, it’s still a good price on a good light. Not sure if I’ll hear back from support or not, I’ll probably order the replacement this weekend during New Years sales.
View Quote

PM sent
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 1:48:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: acegunner] [#26]

View Quote

If you ever have to deal with  CS or warranty issue, Streamlight is the one you want to deal with. I have 6 Streamlights, and have had to deal with them twice over the years.

It's so smooth and painless, even as much as any warranty issue sucks, they make it suck less.

Hell, I'm pretty sure they upgraded the guts in my old old TLR-1, because now I can barely tell the difference between it and my TLR-1HL.

ETA: Post 7000
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#27]

If you ever have to deal with  CS or warranty issue, Streamlight is the one you want to deal with. I have 6 Streamlights, and have had to deal with them twice over the years.

It's so smooth and painless, even as much as any warranty issue sucks, they make it suck less.

Hell, I'm pretty sure they upgraded the guts in my old old TLR-1, because now I can barely tell the difference between it and my TLR-1HL.
View Quote

I had to use Surefire warranty once. Was an X200 if that puts a date on it. Switch was bad. I was talking to a rep and he told me to send it in. I let him know that I bought it used (here on the EE actually) and I didn't have a proof of purchase or anything.

He replied, I don't care if you found it in a ditch, send it in. Lol
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 11:51:56 PM EDT
[#28]

It's the standard Protac for the combo switch.
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 7:02:56 AM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

They’ve been good to go for me in the past. 10 or so years of buying Streamlight, I’ve only needed to contact them once and it went great. This time it’s been radio silence, no response to emailing support or leaving a phone message either.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#30]

They’ve been good to go for me in the past. 10 or so years of buying Streamlight, I’ve only needed to contact them once and it went great. This time it’s been radio silence, no response to emailing support or leaving a phone message either.
View Quote

They may very well be closed down for new years.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 1:08:48 AM EDT
[#31]
What god do I need to pray to for the switch rail sections to actually attach?
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:44:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#32]
What god do I need to pray to for the switch rail sections to actually attach?
View Quote

Yeah, during my placement experimentations trying to get the switch rail sections to attach properly was always fun.
I ended up using a small flat head screwdriver to coax the edge on one side of the switch rail section outward and over the picatinny rail.
I would attach both switch rail sections where desired, slide the switch into 3 of the 4 switch rail section corners then use the small flat head screwdriver again to help seat the 4th corner.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 12:31:37 PM EDT
[#33]

Yeah, during my placement experimentations trying to get the switch rail sections to attach properly was always fun.
I ended up using a small flat head screwdriver to coax the edge on one side of the switch rail section outward and over the picatinny rail.
I would place attach both switch rail sections where desired, slide the switch into 3 of the 4 switch rail section corners then use the small flat head screwdriver again to help seat the 4th corner.
View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 2:48:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Castillo:

Same
View Quote

Yep. As wide and flat a screwdriver as I can find.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 8:21:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Glocked] [#35]

View All Quotes

That’s quite possible. I still haven’t received an email or call back yet. I’m sure they make it right eventually, maybe. I went ahead and ordered the latching switch from Brownells.

If I do end up with an extra switch after buying one. Sounds like all the justification I need to buy one of the light only packages and put that extra switch to use. At least that’s what I tell myself when extra parts turn into complete AR builds.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#36]

That’s quite possible. I still haven’t received an email or call back yet. I’m sure they make it right eventually, maybe. I went ahead and ordered the latching switch from Brownells.

If I do end up with an extra switch after buying one. Sounds like all the justification I need to buy one of the light only packages and put that extra switch to use. At least that’s what I tell myself when extra parts turn into complete AR builds.
View All Quotes

You’ll love the new switch. I honestly think the first batch of switch’s may have been faulty because the OEM doesn’t lock into any of my other Streamlights securely.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 7:04:04 AM EDT
[#37]

You’ll love the new switch. I honestly think the first batch of switch’s may have been faulty because the OEM doesn’t lock into any of my other Streamlights securely.
View All Quotes

New switch arrived from Brownells earlier this week. Definitely feels way more secure than the original. Still haven’t received a reply from Streamlight to my email or phone message in 2+ weeks. Emailed again this week, not expecting a reply to it either. Still a good deal even needing to drop the extra money on a replacement switch.

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 6:09:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Has anyone seen any videos or pictures comparing the beam to other high candela lights? I can only seem to find unboxing videos from someone sitting at a table. I’d love to see how it performs outdoors.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 6:19:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#39]
Originally Posted By Deadsquiggles:
Has anyone seen any videos or pictures comparing the beam to other high candela lights? I can only seem to find unboxing videos from someone sitting at a table. I’d love to see how it performs outdoors.
View Quote

@Deadsquiggles
Here are two shots taken at my local range comparing the HL-X Pro (1k L, 50k C) and the Olight PL Turbo (800 L, 66k C). Performance is very similar (photos don't do a good job of highlighting the differences), but the HL-X Pro provides greater spill & situational awareness at a minor cost of throw.
50yd target is slightly to the right of the hotspot, hotspot is centered on the 100yd target, 200yd target is barely visible in the distance.
HTH...
ETA: Spousal unit took the photos w/a FruitFone, sorry for the crappy quality.

Streamlight:
Attachment Attached File

Olight:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 1:27:58 AM EDT
[#40]

@Deadsquiggles
Here are two shots taken at my local range comparing the HL-X Pro (1k L, 50k C) and the Olight PL Turbo (800 L, 66k C). Performance is very similar (photos don't do a good job of highlighting the differences), but the HL-X Pro provides greater spill & situational awareness at a minor cost of throw.
50yd target is slightly to the right of the hotspot, hotspot is centered on the 100yd target, 200yd target is barely visible in the distance.
HTH...
ETA: Spousal unit took the photos w/a FruitFone, sorry for the crappy quality.

Streamlight:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1593/Streamlight_1_jpg-3090422.JPG

Olight:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1593/Olight_1_jpg-3090423.JPG
View Quote

You’re the shit for these pictures. Thanks dude
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 5:39:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#41]
Originally Posted By Deadsquiggles:
You’re the shit for these pictures. Thanks dude
View Quote

ETA: New setup sans remote switch, now I have the IPX7 rating instead of the IPX4.
ETA2: If you plan on not using the remote switch, the rear of the tailcap holding the remote port & clicky switch can be rotated to place them at the desired location.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 6:56:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Has anyone tried unity/modlite switches with standard crane plugs are they GTG with them?
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Our department just ordered 50 of these new lights.   Will report how they hold up long term.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#44]

ETA2: If you plan on not using the remote switch, the rear of the tailcap holding the remote port & clicky switch can be rotated to place them at the desired location.
View Quote

I'll be damned. Never noticed the switches rotated inside the cap.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Anyone know if there is (or will be) a standard clicky tailcap switch without a remote plug in that fits this light?

Also, is there any word on if a NON-weapon mount version will be offered?

Obviously I'm being lazy and have not done any research on either of the above.

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#46]
I haven't seen a handheld version yet.

Pretty sure the standard clicky tailcap from the original HLX will work.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 12:16:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fiyero] [#47]
Anyone know if there is (or will be) a standard clicky tailcap switch without a remote plug in that fits this light?

Also, is there any word on if a NON-weapon mount version will be offered?

Obviously I'm being lazy and have not done any research on either of the above.

Thanks guys
View Quote

You can buy the standard HLX clicky tail cap and it will work on the Pros.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 11:42:09 AM EDT
[#48]
I guess they don't make this in fde. At least not that I can locate.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By jmt1271:
I guess they don't make this in fde. At least not that I can locate.
View Quote

Does Streamlight make any of their WML's in any color but black?
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#50]

Does Streamlight make any of their WML's in any color but black?
View Quote

Yes, TRL1-HL
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top