User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Fiyero:

I think it’s just some type giveaway celebrating their 50th anniversary unfortunately
View Quote

Yeah, apparently nothing. Just ordered the HLX Pro kit with the rechargeable battery and pressure switch. Gave up on finding a review.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 12:52:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By twpayne75:

Yeah, apparently nothing. Just ordered the HLX Pro kit with the rechargeable battery and pressure switch. Gave up on finding a review.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I think it’s just some type giveaway celebrating their 50th anniversary unfortunately

I’ve had my preorder in for a while now and not a budge. Dealers shelves in November isn’t looking likely.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 8:57:53 AM EDT
[#3]

I’ve had my preorder in for a while now and not a budge. Dealers shelves in November isn’t looking likely.
View Quote

The place I ordered from supposedly had them in stock. I ordered late last night. I'll update when I get something from them other than an order confirmation.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 11:27:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Got a shipping notice and tracking.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Got a shipping notice and tracking.
View Quote

@twpayne75 where did you order from?
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#6]

@twpayne75 where did you order from?
View Quote

https://premiumselectsupplies.com/products/streamlight-protac-railmount-hl-x-pro-flashlights

They are the only place that has a video up showing them on YouTube.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#7]

https://premiumselectsupplies.com/products/streamlight-protac-railmount-hl-x-pro-flashlights

They are the only place that has a video up showing them on YouTube.
View Quote

I just ended up finding that video after ordering from MidwayUSA and cancelling my amazon preorder. Hopefully we both will have them soon and can finally put hands on.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 11:08:27 PM EDT
[#8]

I just ended up finding that video after ordering from MidwayUSA and cancelling my amazon preorder. Hopefully we both will have them soon and can finally put hands on.
View Quote

Just checked my tracking. Scheduled to be delivered Friday.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 6:03:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Found some beam shots posted on Reddit.

Looks like a nice upgrade.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 11:11:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Those look great. Can't wait to see some at distance.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 2:38:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine came in. Like the new switch mount. Seems more solid than the previous and has wire guides made into them.

Link Posted: 12/1/2023 3:30:02 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Looks good! Mine will be here Sunday.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Looks good! Mine will be here Sunday.
View Quote

Curious if your plug feels loose. Just feels like its sitting in the tailcap and not really locked in. Kind of loose. It doesn't lose connection or anything that I can tell.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Please post some pics when you guys get them! Not just the light, but outdoor distance pics if you can. I have the regular HL-X and like it, but this is an excuse to get another one for my primary rifle, and throw mine on another AR that needs a light.

Really looking forward to hearing from folks that already have the first one and how it compares to the new one. The candela increase is crazy.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By acegunner:
Please post some pics when you guys get them! Not just the light, but outdoor distance pics if you can. I have the regular HL-X and like it, but this is an excuse to get another one for my primary rifle, and throw mine on another AR that needs a light.

Really looking forward to hearing from folks that already have the first one and how it compares to the new one. The candela increase is crazy.
View Quote

Hoping to get some this weekend if the weather will cooperate. I have other lights with similar candela ratings such as the Cloud Defensive OWL. If it's similar to it, I will be ecstatic.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Curious if your plug feels loose. Just feels like its sitting in the tailcap and not really locked in. Kind of loose. It doesn't lose connection or anything that I can tell.
View Quote

I had a similar problem with a TLR-1 Long Gun Kit plug. Turns out I wasn't inserting the plug fully, I had to press until it actually clicked to seat properly.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 6:03:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Tomac:

I had a similar problem with a TLR-1 Long Gun Kit plug. Turns out I wasn't inserting the plug fully, I had to press until it actually clicked to seat properly.
View Quote

Thanks. I'll try it again. I was afraid to push too hard for fear of breaking it. It was working, so I assumed it was in far enough.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Thanks. I'll try it again. I was afraid to push too hard for fear of breaking it. It was working, so I assumed it was in far enough.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tomac:hI had a similar problem with a TLR-1 Long Gun Kit plug. Turns out I wasn't inserting the plug fully, I had to press until it actually clicked to seat properly.

Mine was working as well, but I couldn't understand why the plug was backing out under recoil.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

They have a O-ring unlike most crane style switches. Shove that mofo in you won’t hurt anything The RM2 I have on my Scorpion clicks into place.

I’m ordering this switch to play with as well.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 8:30:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I thought about getting that switch just for the off chance I wanted constant on. Then I remembered it still had the button I could use on the tailcap if I needed it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 10:37:14 AM EDT
[#21]

They have a O-ring unlike most crane style switches. Shove that mofo in you won’t hurt anything The RM2 I have on my Scorpion clicks into place.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/222364/IMG_4768_jpeg-3046305.JPG
View Quote

@Fiyero

Where did you find this and are you certain it will fit the HL-X Pro? Thx!
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#22]

@Fiyero

View All Quotes

@Fiyero

They’re on Primary Arms. Yes, the switch is designed to work with the Jack-Cap on the 2.0 and Pro.

Link Posted: 12/3/2023 8:16:22 AM EDT
[#23]
They’re on Primary Arms. Yes, the switch is designed to work with the Jack-Cap on the 2.0 and Pro.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/4/2023 11:06:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Hopefully mrgunsandgear releases his review soon so that everyone can see the throw and spill but after playing with mine last night compared to a first gen Cloud Rein I’m highly pleased and will be buying more.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#25]
If anyone's thinking of buying, GunZoneDeals has the Pro w/CR123's & remote switch for $116.99 w/no sales tax (they have the other Pro versions as well):
Streamlight HL-X Pro 88126
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 12:25:35 AM EDT
[#26]
If anyone's thinking of buying, GunZoneDeals has the Pro w/CR123's & remote switch for $116.99 w/no sales tax (they have the other Pro versions as well):
Streamlight HL-X Pro 88126
View Quote

Wow! That's a great price! Like $40-$50 cheaper than anywhere else. Not to mention the offset mlok mount. I bought the pic offset mount from Arisaka for the original hl-x, and it was probably $40 on top of the light kit.
Great price! Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 5:19:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Wow! That's a great price! Like $40-$50 cheaper than anywhere else. Not to mention the offset mlok mount. I bought the pic offset mount from Arisaka for the original hl-x, and it was probably $40 on top of the light kit.
Great price! Thank you!
View Quote

You're welcome! When I found this price, I cancelled my preorder from Amazon then ordered from GZD. Ordered it Monday morning, shipped the same day, should be here in a few days.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#28]

You're welcome! When I found this price, I cancelled my preorder from Amazon then ordered from GZD. Ordered it Monday morning, shipped the same day, should be here in a few days.
View Quote

I really don't NEED one, but as usual, this damn place always costing me money

I mean, I could certainly use one. I have a few,  non primary ARs that aren't outfitted yet. I wonder if the hl-x is upgradable, but even if so, it isn't worth it, ill just get the new one. The OG is certainly fine on its own and not really putting money into that could just go to a new light.

Looking forward to hearing from people that have the original and the new one to see how they compare. And is the light body exactly the same and the only difference the tailcap and diffuser different.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#29]

I really don't NEED one, but as usual, this damn place always costing me money

I mean, I could certainly use one. I have a few,  non primary ARs that aren't outfitted yet. I wonder if the hl-x is upgradable, but even if so, it isn't worth it, ill just get the new one. The OG is certainly fine on its own and not really putting money into that could just go to a new light.

Looking forward to hearing from people that have the original and the new one to see how they compare. And is the light body exactly the same and the only difference the tailcap and diffuser different.
View Quote

You got that right! And this just after purchasing a couple of the Olight PL Turbos (800 lumen, 66k candela) to try out.
When my new HL-X Pro's arrive, I'll compare them to my new Olights and try to include comparison pics of the beams.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 10:21:47 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

I've put as much pressure on that plug as I can by hand and it still doesn't snap in place. Thought about tapping it lightly with a hammer, haven't gone that far yet. I put a call in to Streamlight customer service to inquire if they've had any other issues. Will let you know if or when I get a call back from them.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 11:40:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Amazingly enough, I quickly got a call back from Mark at Streamlight.

He told me he hadn't heard of any issues, although it's very new.

He told me I could try tapping it in with a hammer and if it fucked it up, he would send me a new tailcap and switch (his exact words). Before we got off the phone he gave me his direct phone number and email.

Have to say I was impressed.

So I did try using the bfh mod. No luck. Tried it on the gun as well as removing the tailcap, laying it on my bench so it had a solid backing, trying to knock it in that way. I recorded both ways and emailed instead of calling so I could include the videos.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Amazingly enough, I quickly got a call back from Mark at Streamlight.

He told me he hadn't heard of any issues, although it's very new.

He told me I could try tapping it in with a hammer and if it fucked it up, he would send me a new tailcap and switch (his exact words). Before we got off the phone he gave me his direct phone number and email.

Have to say I was impressed.

So I did try using the bfh mod. No luck. Tried it on the gun as well as removing the tailcap, laying it on my bench so it had a solid backing, trying to knock it in that way. I recorded both ways and emailed instead of calling so I could include the videos.
View Quote

It could be lemon switches, I just played with the one mine came with and it's similar. I can barely touch it and it falls out. However my other RM2 switch clicks in and is super snug. The switches I ordered with the constant click come Saturday so I'll compare them too.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:34:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: twpayne75] [#33]

It could be lemon switches, I just played with the one mine came with and it's similar. I can barely touch it and it falls out. However my other RM2 switch clicks in and is super snug. The switches I ordered with the constant click come Saturday so I'll compare them too.
View Quote

Mine works perfectly fine, of course I haven't tried shooting with it activated. Mine being on a .308, I really don't see it maintaning contact. Definitely no positive click when inserting the plug. It honestly feels like the plug is bottoming out before it's engaged.

Edit: I tried posting the video through Photobucket. Just shows a picture.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Just got an email from Streamlight. New tailcap and switch enroute.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#35]
So has anyone plugged theirs into a unity switch yet to test if it works?
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 6:03:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By ngc1300:
So has anyone plugged theirs into a unity switch yet to test if it works?
View Quote

No. I have a picture on the previous page comparing the two. The Unity is shorter and doesn't have the O-ring that Streamlights switch has.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#37]
My HL-X Pros (and hopefully the constant-on switches) arrive tomorrow, the first thing I'll do is check for switch functionality and post here along w/a comparison to the new 800 lumen/66k Candela Olight PL Turbo.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 3:50:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#38]
Pros arrived today, switches look like they'll be here Monday ().
First Impressions:
Compared to the Olight PL Turbo (800 L, 66k C) in my darkened garage, hotspots at 20' appear to be of equal diameter, but the Olight hotspot is slightly brighter w/a more defined edge (66k C vs 50k C).
The Pro has a slightly wider spill but, more importantly, it's definitely brighter than the Olight's spill (1k lumens vs 800 lumens) which improves situational awareness (while not bad, I've always wanted a little more spill brightness from the Olight).
When comparing the two simultaneously, I can finally see the Olight's green tint others have mentioned but I wasn't really aware of it until now. The green tint doesn't bother me, not sure what all the fuss is about.
The Pro w/remote switch is about 3oz heavier than the Olight.

Remote plugs seat firmly in the Pros, but not with as positive a click as w/my Streamlight TLR-1 Long Gun Kit remote plugs, we'll see if they'll dislodge over time from recoil.
Ten-tap programming works as advertised, but I wish the high/low option would default to 'high' instead of 'low' when first activated as this means if you want 'high' you have to double-tap past 'low' to get there. Not good if you need 'high' RIGHT NOW. For now, mine are set on 'high' only.

Mine's going on a Tavor X95 bullpup (pics to follow) and the longer length of the Pro almost entirely eliminates bbl shadow on the X95.

I also use a vfg so was pondering how best to locate the remote switch. I like having the switch on the vfg, but that can lead to accidental activations w/o a lockout feature on the light. Fortunately, a quarter turn of the tailcap deactivates the light (a dab of fingernail polish now marks the 'deactivated' setting) so I'm going to experiment w/the vfg placement for now, my only other workable option is to mount the switch on the left-side picatinny rail which is doable but slightly awkward to access when using the vfg.

I like the new remote switch rail clips w/the cable management built-in, it adds routing options. However, they're also a little soft, easily marred when using tools to seat them properly on the rail.

It's getting cold here, but I'll see if I can get out to the 24/7 range to compare the Pro & Olight's relative throws.

Is the Pro a huge upgrade over the Ologht for me? No, it isn't, the Olight is a simple, elegant & lighter weight solution for my X95 WML needs.
However, the Pro does offer certain advantages like the ability to maintain full power for the entire battery runtime, less bbl shadow, better spill/situational awareness, less chance of accidental activation & Streamlight's proven track record as a decent budget WML solution.
Should the Pro eventually reveal hidden flaws, I may go back to the Olight PL Turbo, but for now I like this new Streamlight and am looking forward to putting it through its paces.

ETA: After seeing twpayne75's setup below (hats off to you, sir!) I'm trying a similar approach to mounting the remote switch to my X95. It means losing the vfg, but this is a sweet location for the remote switch that doesn't require tape, screws, zip ties or rail clips to attach the remote switch.
ETA 2: Constant-on switch arrived today and everything fits (just barely, but it does fit!) w/easy finger access to both momentary & constant-on functions. I have to admit this X95 setup has turned out much better than I was expecting!:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 11:45:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: twpayne75] [#39]

I love this setup on my X95
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 2:59:50 PM EDT
[#40]
For those that have one, do these flicker when firing?
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 3:01:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By jhon:
For those that have one, do these flicker when firing?
View Quote

I'm hoping to get a night test done in a couple of days, will post results here.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#42]

ETA: After seeing twpayne75's setup below (hats off to you, sir!) I'm trying a similar approach to mounting the remote switch to my X95. It means losing the vfg, but this is a sweet location for the remote switch that doesn't require tape, screws, zip ties or rail clips to attach the remote switch.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1593/IMG_0685_jpg-3055260.JPG
View Quote

It's a little more work, but I love the BCM stubby vertical grip on everything. I use it more as a hand stop than vertical grip. You have to cut a hole for it in the 6 o'clock rail cover, slide it on as one unit, and then tighten down the grip.

Great ergonomic setup. Light switch is in perfect position with firing grip.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 3:29:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MeatBag] [#43]
If you're wanting to pick one up, here's a great deal:

$115 with code stream15. Free shipping too. That's selecting the kit and CR123 battery options.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 8:21:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By MeatBag:
If you're wanting to pick one up, here's a great deal:

$115 with code stream15. Free shipping too. That's selecting the kit and CR123 battery options.
View Quote

That's where I got mine. Only with a rechargeable. Shipped quickly and had in a few days.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 1:29:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: twpayne75] [#45]
My package from Streamlight came in yesterday. It was the pressure switch that was causing my problem.

They definitely went over and above on my replacement.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 1:48:00 PM EDT
[#46]
My package from Streamlight came in yesterday. It was the pressure switch that was causing my problem.

They definitely went over and beyond on my replacement.
View Quote

That’s awesome to hear. They’re always great to work with on the Fire side. We abuse the absolute shit out of our issued lights.

Modlite would have told you it was your fault and banned you from social media.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 3:39:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fiyero] [#47]
I finally had time to mount everything up. I’ll likely change the pressure pad but everything else lined up great.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 7:01:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#48]
Replaced the Streamlight factory mount w/an Arisaka offset Scout mount and it is a big improvement, especially when I moved it to the top optics rail.
Not only is the Streamlight higher & closer in, but now there's almost no barrel shadow at all.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Is this light able to be run in momentary and constant on from only the tail cap switch?
I'm very interested but I don't use pressure switches.

THANKS
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 7:43:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#50]
Originally Posted By SMR412:
Is this light able to be run in momentary and constant on from only the tail cap switch?
I'm very interested but I don't use pressure switches.

THANKS
View Quote

Yes, there's both a switch & remote port on the tailcap.
ETA: I have two of these and the location of the port & switch is about 45 degrees different between them if that's important to you.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top