Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 7:21:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chevrofreak] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Blacktoothgrin:
Olight claims ridiculous output but short run time, it drops out of Hi quickly.
View Quote

This is often repeated as a dig against Olight by people who push other brands, but they fail to mention that their preferred brand does the exact same thing.    Modlite, Surefire, Streamlight all do it too.  The Werkz videos posted in this thread show it perfectly.

This is a dirty industry, and you fell right into the mud.

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:31:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone know if rechargeable RCR123 3.7 volt batteries will work with the Pl Turbo or is the voltage to high? I contacted Olight support and they had no idea.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 1:30:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By ArizonaAR:
Anyone know if rechargeable RCR123 3.7 volt batteries will work with the Pl Turbo or is the voltage to high? I contacted Olight support and they had no idea.
View Quote

They will always say no out of caution, but I have been running RCR123 cells in my PL2 for years.  I haven't tried the PL Turbo with them yet, but I wouldn't hesitate to because of the lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:48:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By chevrofreak:

They will always say no out of caution, but I have been running RCR123 cells in my PL2 for years.  I haven't tried the PL Turbo with them yet, but I wouldn't hesitate to because of the lifetime warranty.
View Quote

Just so I'm clear, you're using 3.7v RCR123, not 3v?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:57:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chevrofreak] [#5]

Just so I'm clear, you're using 3.7v RCR123, not 3v?
View Quote

Correct. You need to always use protected cells in a multi-cell light, though.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:57:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Correct. You need to always use protected cells in a multi-cell light, though.
View Quote

Well damn, my Vapecell T8's are non protected. I did find this after researching that Olight makes this https://www.olightstore.com/imr16340-cr123a-battery which they say is compatible with PL Turbo. Judging by the price, I don't think it's protected. It would seem that the light has some sort of protections built in it to be able to use them I'm guessing?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:12:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Well damn, my Vapecell T8's are non protected. I did find this after researching that Olight makes this https://www.olightstore.com/imr16340-cr123a-battery which they say is compatible with PL Turbo. Judging by the price, I don't think it's protected. It would seem that the light has some sort of protections built in it to be able to use them I'm guessing?
View Quote

Those are protected, but I don't see where they say they are compatible with the PL Turbo. That cell has an extra feature on it where there is a negative terminal surrounding the central positive terminal for recharging while still inside of their lights.  I'm not sure I would try that in the PL Turbo.

You could always use the Surefire LFP rechargeable cells, as they have lower voltage, but they won't have as much runtime.

I think these would be ideal.

BTW, I did just try several different brands RCR123's in a brand new PL Turbo and they worked fine.  No magic smoke.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Those are protected, but I don't see where they say they are compatible with the PL Turbo. That cell has an extra feature on it where there is a negative terminal surrounding the central positive terminal for recharging while still inside of their lights.  I'm not sure I would try that in the PL Turbo.

You could always use the Surefire LFP rechargeable cells, as they have lower voltage, but they won't have as much runtime.

I think these would be ideal.

BTW, I did just try several different brands RCR123's in a brand new PL Turbo and they worked fine.  No magic smoke.
View Quote

Thanks for the link, much appreciated. Those would be perfect and even higher rating than my Vapcell's.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Thanks for the link, much appreciated. Those would be perfect and even higher rating than my Vapcell's.
View Quote

Well, crap.  I ordered 8 of those to add to my collection since they are on sale, and it turns out they are longer than any of my other RCR123/16340 cells and they do not fit in the PL Turbo.  I'm sorry I led you astray.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:55:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Well, crap.  I ordered 8 of those to add to my collection since they are on sale, and it turns out they are longer than any of my other RCR123/16340 cells and they do not fit in the PL Turbo.  I'm sorry I led you astray.
View Quote

Well that's a bummer. I haven't ordered any so no worries. I'm guessing its  because of the protection circuit?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:21:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Well that's a bummer. I haven't ordered any so no worries. I'm guessing its  because of the protection circuit?
View Quote

Yes.  That explains their higher capacity than most, since they aren't using a shorter cell to end up with the same total length.   They work fine in my tube style lights that have springs on each end, but they are a couple MM too long to latch the switch on the PL Turbo.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#12]
So not a total loss, that's good. I could also use them in my 2 cell flashlights.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I now own 6 of these for use on my handguns/rifles. They aren't perfect, but for the price they're a helluva value!
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:16:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Tomac:
I now own 6 of these for use on my handguns/rifles. They aren't perfect, but for the price they're a helluva value!
View Quote

I stocked up big time on the last sale.  I spent so much I'm Blue Diamond now
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top