Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Cloud Rein 3.0 (Page 2 of 4)
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fmkenner:
Would this light be bright enough to shine a field? I was looking at a Nitecore P23i and a
Fenix TK22 tac flashlights. I was looking for a strong light with good throw. We have varmints here and would be nice to see a large field. Does it come with a qd mount and pressure switch I could mount to a rail?
View Quote

My REIN 3.0 head performs better than those using a 18350 battery. I can easily see my neighbor’s backyard at longer distances.

As for mounts and pressure switch, those answers could have easily found by checking out Cloud’s website in less time than it took for you to post.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 1:36:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Claytonhoneyberry:

My REIN 3.0 head performs better than those using a 18350 battery. I can easily see my neighbor’s backyard at longer distances.

As for mounts and pressure switch, those answers could have easily found by checking out Cloud’s website in less time than it took for you to post.
View Quote

I was asking about the Rein 3. Was looking at the other two and came across this thread. And I know it comes with mount and pressure switch, wasn't sure if it was a qd, and wasn't sure if the pressure switch came with rail mount. So in your opinion I would be better served with the Rein.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 1:55:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#3]
Originally Posted By Claytonhoneyberry:

Did you try adjusting the battery jack inside? Sounds more like user error than product error.
View Quote

ETA: Alright. Found a video. That would have been nice to know if they still included owner’s manuals. The video says it’s finger adjustable. Mine won’t even turn either direction with a fat screw driver. Any advice here?

ETA2: Got it to move and only a thread or two before tight. Still a no go and it didn’t shake either way. If I tap the constant on tape switch button not hard enough to depress it will turn on for a split second. None of the other switches function at all. She dead.

Love my OWL but 90% chance I dump this and go with a Moodlite. The owner may be a character on social media but at least they have their shit in order.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 2:42:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: colt-fan] [#4]
I would just reach out to cloud. They have the best cs and will either walk you through the fix or replace it.

Just in case you haven't. Make sure to remove the battery first. Then back battery jack all the way out. Then make finger tight with battery in.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 3:38:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#5]
Originally Posted By colt-fan:
I would just reach out to cloud. They have the best cs and will either walk you through the fix or replace it.

Just in case you haven't. Make sure to remove the battery first. Then back battery jack all the way out. Then make finger tight with battery in.
View Quote

Yep I did. Got a high volume notification from them saying they need extra time to rectify it.

Messed with the battery jack with both 18650’s and CR123’s. No dice at any tightness level for either. Hoping it’s just the switch (and it seems to be) as I saw someone else got a bad head and Cloud has to have the light sent in at that point.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 3:55:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:

Yep I did. Got a high volume notification from them saying they need extra time to rectify it.

Messed with the battery jack with both 18650’s and CR123’s. No dice at any tightness level for either. Hoping it’s just the switch (and it seems to be) as I saw someone else got a bad head and Cloud has to have the light sent in at that point.
View Quote

I hope it isn't a problem for all of them. I'm kinda want to get one. I don't have any weapon lights except for my ir light.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 4:25:00 AM EDT
[#7]

I hope it isn't a problem for all of them. I'm kinda want to get one. I don't have any weapon lights except for my ir light.
View Quote

I have no doubt they’ll make it right. I was pretty upset at first because it ruined my plans for this weekend. But life happens.

My only actual concern is that a quick test would have unearthed the issue before it was sent out. It may be extra steps and man hours but it’s peace of mind for the customer and saves them from dealing with the cost and confidence loss of bad product.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 10:54:53 AM EDT
[#8]

I have no doubt they’ll make it right. I was pretty upset at first because it ruined my plans for this weekend. But life happens.

My only actual concern is that a quick test would have unearthed the issue before it was sent out. It may be extra steps and man hours but it’s peace of mind for the customer and saves them from dealing with the cost and confidence loss of bad product.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It's pretty unlike cloud to send bad things out the Door. Sean's a good dude and genuinely cares about the community and his customers. Not an excuse, things happen.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 8:30:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJL0325] [#9]
Just got my REIN 3.0 today from Midwest Optics, and also saw that CD is having a 35% off sale on their 3.0 heads, so grabbed one to use on my 2.0 and can use the 2.0 head on my MCH to correct the mistake of getting the Dual Output head.

Link Posted: 3/11/2023 3:17:20 AM EDT
[#10]
The 3.0 head is larger than the 2.0 correct?
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 8:36:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:
The 3.0 head is larger than the 2.0 correct?
View Quote

Yes it is
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#12]
On Facebook cd said they were giving a free chicro admin light with a rein 3 purchase, this weekend only.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 7:43:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#13]
Cloud is most likely sending me a new tailcap/switch assembly. I took a close look at the tailcap and there’s a crack in it. It broke right at where the wire comes out and it looks like they break the mold from there too. I’m guessing that’s not coincidence, but really just a guess.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 2:11:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Cloud is most likely sending me a new tailcap/switch assembly. I took a close look at the tailcap and there’s a crack in it. It broke right at where the wire comes out and it looks like they break the mold from there too. I’m guessing that’s not coincidence, but really just a guess.
View Quote

I'm getting a new tailcap/switch assembly as well.  my tape switch would work, but the tail cap button was hit or miss and would flicker.  It was a weird problem that I couldn't figure out.  They were quick to remedy it, but it sounds like their may be some issues with the tailcap/switch assembly.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 6:11:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By wally05:

I'm getting a new tailcap/switch assembly as well.  my tape switch would work, but the tail cap button was hit or miss and would flicker.  It was a weird problem that I couldn't figure out.  They were quick to remedy it, but it sounds like there may be some issues with the tailcap/switch assembly.
View Quote

I looked close at mine and the tailcap switch housing was cracked. I think it’s a design flaw as they break the mold right next to the hole for the remote cord. It makes no sense to break the mold from the weakest spot on the entire thing.

Not sure if I’m going to keep mine yet. I got my light in 36 hours from ordering. Now I’m approaching 4 days with no notice of shipping the replacement. Might be picky but I’m not too happy with the entire thing.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By takdriver:
Looks like a nice light. I am glad this one will take non rechargeables in a pinch.
View Quote

Awesome I was under the impression that CD couldn’t use cr123s which is a deal breaker for me when that’s what my NV and laser use ….. I went with an 18650 Arisaka and I’m not due for an upgrade but will confer the CD down the road
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I won a Rein 2.0 at the random number raffle at Red Oktober last year. It works great and is ridiculously bright. My only gripe is I want a clicky cap and not the remote switch. It's always out of stock. The switch feels a little flimsy and I think if I hit it or dropped it on the switch, it might cause a problem and then I am SOL on using the light.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:27:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By M1Lou:
I won a Rein 2.0 at the random number raffle at Red Oktober last year. It works great and is ridiculously bright. My only gripe is I want a clicky cap and not the remote switch. It's always out of stock. The switch feels a little flimsy and I think if I hit it or dropped it on the switch, it might cause a problem and then I am SOL on using the light.
View Quote

The tail cap and remote switch are supposedly isolated circuits, which would mean that even if you cut the remote switch off, the tail cap should work.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 9:56:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marksman14] [#19]
Originally Posted By keeperofthedew:

The tail cap and remote switch are supposedly isolated circuits, which would mean that even if you cut the remote switch off, the tail cap should work.
View Quote

They literally do this in a demo video on the 3.0 so you’re exactly right!

Broken switch won’t kill the clicky.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 11:37:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#20]
Originally Posted By Marksman14:

They literally do this in a demo video on the 3.0 so you’re exactly right!

Broken switch won’t kill the clicky.
View Quote

That much is true, but the bigger problem is the tailcap itself. If it dies, the remote switch dies too so they’re not 100% isolated. That’s compounded by the fact that their tailcaps are where majority of their reliability issues pop up. Both the MCH and the Rein 3.0 are crapping out at unacceptable levels. Their Facebook owners group is a bloodbath, so it’s not just a high failure rate from this topic alone.

I’d recommend my OWL above and beyond. Anything else from Cloud is a gamble and in my opinion, not duty rated. Their tailcap is excessively failure prone and the breakage from mine isn’t a solitaire example of what I consider to be a catastrophic design flaw.

They need to either reinforce the thickness of their tailcap switch housing or stop breaking their molds like cavemen. Until they do that, the issues will continue and I consider them hobby grade lights at best.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 9:25:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I was thinking about switching to a Rein 3.0 so I could mount the light all the way forward and keep the switch back where I like my hand. After reading this thread it sounds like I should keep my OWLs and live with the little bit of barrel shadow I get from not having the light at the end of the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 10:14:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought a REIN 3.0 yesterday and read this thread today...

How prevalent are the issues with the new REIN?
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 11:06:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#23]
To be fair, you have a better chance of getting a good one than a bad one. They usually show if they’re going to have a problem pretty quick too. There’s a picture below that shows where they crack when they break them from the mold so you can check yours. (Along the mold line then breaks off upwards at the rear of the switch. You can tell they didn’t put much effort into them post mold either.)

It sucks because I love my OWL, but between the regular issues and dragged out customer service I’m not the fan I used to be. I’m at the 12 day mark of trying to get things resolved and going on day 6 of waiting for a ship notification for the new switch they said they were sending me. That’s a pretty significant contrast considering how fast they take care of new purchases.

I think the owner is a character in a bad way, but I’m probably going to be buying Modlites from here on out. This was a major bummer as I was a pretty devoted Cloud fan before.

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 2:16:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#24]
Received the new switch today. They apparently just forgot to send tracking like they said.

Edit: The Cloud provided battery did not work despite showing 4 volts. I tried another battery and it does work. Just as a double check I switched the tailcaps out again just to verify and no dice with that switch either way. Switched it back and success. So I have my Rein 3.0 working now.

ETA2: Cloud battery is definitely bad. Threw it in the charger again and it wouldn’t even register. Tapped it a couple times and it showed 4 volts still. That’s a relief and I about lost my shit because of it.

Also adjusted it and tried it with CR123’s just because. If there’s a lumen loss I can’t tell in a pitch black room. It’s just bright with either. I’m going to run the shit out if it to see how it holds up. Maybe I judged them too harshly, maybe I didn’t. I’ll leave that up to anyone reading this. I still think they have some QC issues with their switches they need to address but I’ll give this one a shot for now.

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:27:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#25]
Received the new switch today. They apparently just forgot to send tracking like they said.

Edit: The Cloud provided battery did not work despite showing 4 volts. I tried another battery and it does work. Just as a double check I switched the tailcaps out again just to verify and no dice with that switch either way. Switched it back and success. So I have my Rein 3.0 working now.

ETA2: Cloud battery is definitely bad. Threw it in the charger again and it wouldn’t even register. Tapped it a couple times and it showed 4 volts still. That’s a relief and I about lost my shit because of it.

Also adjusted it and tried it with CR123’s just because. If there’s a lumen loss I can’t tell in a pitch black room. It’s just bright with either. I’m going to run the shit out if it to see how it holds up. Maybe I judged them too harshly, maybe I didn’t. I’ll leave that up to anyone reading this. I still think they have some QC issues with their switches they need to address but I’ll give this one a shot for now.

https://i.ibb.co/cFY8Gvm/60793734-F109-4-F54-BD31-B4-B04-E73-B2-C1.jpg
View Quote

Take this for what it's worth-
I've seen both modlite and cloud a fair amount down range.
Modlights have more failures from usage. I think it's due to the Frankenstein nature of the parts.
Cloud had more issues out of the box but less overall issues. Frankly, I haven't seen a rein actually break from use in real life yet. As always, ymmv

Hopefully that doesn't sound like I'm simping.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:08:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Take this for what it's worth-
I've seen both modlite and cloud a fair amount down range.
Modlights have more failures from usage. I think it's due to the Frankenstein nature of the parts.
Cloud had more issues out of the box but less overall issues. Frankly, I haven't seen a rein actually break from use in real life yet. As always, ymmv

Hopefully that doesn't sound like I'm simping.
View Quote

I wouldn’t be surprised if that assessment was spot on. Quality control versus durability. I’ve never had a Surefire product have any issues but they’re way behind in the performance aspect.

Maybe one of the new turbos is what I need next time.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 8:13:44 PM EDT
[#27]

I wouldn’t be surprised if that assessment was spot on. Quality control versus durability. I’ve never had a Surefire product have any issues but they’re way behind in the performance aspect.

Maybe one of the new turbos is what I need next time.
View Quote

I’ve had multiple Surefires die, especially a few dual fuels, which are known to die.  It happens, but 1,000 lumen ones tend to be fine.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#28]
To be fair, you have a better chance of getting a good one than a bad one. They usually show if they’re going to have a problem pretty quick too. There’s a picture below that shows where they crack when they break them from the mold so you can check yours. (Along the mold line then breaks off upwards at the rear of the switch. You can tell they didn’t put much effort into them post mold either.)

It sucks because I love my OWL, but between the regular issues and dragged out customer service I’m not the fan I used to be. I’m at the 12 day mark of trying to get things resolved and going on day 6 of waiting for a ship notification for the new switch they said they were sending me. That’s a pretty significant contrast considering how fast they take care of new purchases.

I think the owner is a character in a bad way, but I’m probably going to be buying Modlites from here on out. This was a major bummer as I was a pretty devoted Cloud fan before.

https://i.ibb.co/D4Hrywr/EE8-FB7-EE-B71-E-4512-920-D-90-C08820-D975.jpg
View Quote

@-OdieGreen- Below is a picture of my tail cap. I am unsure if mine is affected or not but it looks similar to yours.

Link Posted: 3/20/2023 6:12:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#29]
Originally Posted By WVUSIG:

@-OdieGreen- Below is a picture of my tail cap. I am unsure if mine is affected or not but it looks similar to yours.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/504306/3BFCA561-195D-4FF9-8365-20E36DEE5A75-2753356.jpg

View Quote

I don’t see any cracks like mine had.

Definitely looks like it was cleaned up on a Friday afternoon though. Biggest question is does it work. I’m beginning to wonder if excessive flashing left over has any impact on it once the tailcap cover is screwed on. Could be breaking from the mold or during final assembly when it’s tightened down. I didn’t think to check if the flashing on mine stuck out past the threads.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#30]

I don’t see any cracks like mine had.

Definitely looks like it was cleaned up on a Friday afternoon though. Biggest question is does it work. I’m beginning to wonder if excessive flashing left over has any impact on it once the tailcap cover is screwed on. Could be breaking from the mold or during final assembly when it’s tightened down. I didn’t think to check if the flashing on mine stuck out past the threads.
View Quote

It seems to work okay but I have not yet mounted it and shot with it yet. I will try to get out this weekend and give it a shot.

Thanks for your helpful posts.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By WVUSIG:

It seems to work okay but I have not yet mounted it and shot with it yet. I will try to get out this weekend and give it a shot.

Thanks for your helpful posts.
View Quote

Hope it goes well. I do advise watching their set up video if yours didn’t come with an owners manual like mine. While mine was doomed no matter what, there is a process that needs to be followed that does impact function.

REIN Setup and Troubleshoot
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 7:21:16 PM EDT
[#32]
I installed the replacement tailcap and tape switch and it fixed my flickering problem.  No issues now!  Their green color is interesting.

Link Posted: 3/21/2023 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Just got a response to a question I asked CD about when they were going to list the 3.0 as a standard kit (without remote switch and charger- like they did with the 1.0) and they said they have no plans to do so.
So if you want it without the pressure pad you'll have to buy the standard switch for $50.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By wally05:
I installed the replacement tailcap and tape switch and it fixed my flickering problem.  No issues now!  Their green color is interesting.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52761865886_cbfc21cef2_c.jpg
View Quote

Nice boomstick.

One of their employees posted on social media they’re currently moving to another company to do the anodizing. The provider they used a few years ago was among the best. I think they use a less abrasive media on them now which makes them somewhat shiny. My OWL feels like sandpaper compared to my Rein.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:45:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Just ordered the Rein 3. I'm going on the idea it's a quality light and watch out for some issues with the switch. I scratched the idea of getting a Fenix or Nitecore.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:10:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Younger brother bought a rein 3.0 and I have used it hunting twice with no issues at all. I am very particular about my gear and wouldn’t hesitate to use one for any purpose.

It’s also super bright. My x300 turbo is a close 2nd to it as far as performance (both can really throw a beam) though so I haven’t bought one myself.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Got my rein 3 today, man that's fast service. Got it because of this thread. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 9:28:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Does anyone know what the 3.0 weighs with battery/ies and (sold separately ) push-button cap?
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 11:46:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#39]
Originally Posted By DDS87:
Does anyone know what the 3.0 weighs with battery/ies and (sold separately ) push-button cap?
View Quote

It does come with an 18650 (and a charger for it). It accounted for an extra 7 ounces on my rifle but my scale stops at ounces. Cloud lists it at 6.9 ounces for the light, switch, and an 18650. I imagine the difference only accounts for a few tenths of an ounce as the switch is pretty light.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 12:27:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By DDS87:
View Quote

Just cut the wire to the remote switch.
(I do find it obnoxious that they don't sell a version with just tail cap activation)
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:16:28 PM EDT
[#41]

It does come with an 18650 (and a charger for it). It accounted for an extra 7 ounces on my rifle but my scale stops at ounces. Cloud lists it at 6.9 ounces for the light, switch, and an 18650. I imagine the difference only accounts for a few tenths of an ounce as the switch is pretty light.
View Quote

Ok, thanks. I do like they include a charger, though I have one from my OWL.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#42]
After some time with this light I’m glad I let my temper tantrum go and gave them a chance to make it right. It’s been 100% solid and I have the brightest weapon light of anyone I know. Wouldn’t trade it for anything else on the market now.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 11:24:36 PM EDT
[#43]
After some time with this light I’m glad I let my temper tantrum go and gave them a chance to make it right. It’s been 100% solid and I have the brightest weapon light of anyone I know. Wouldn’t trade it for anything else on the market now.
View Quote

Welcome to team cloud lol
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 11:33:19 PM EDT
[#44]
I went from the 3.0 to surefire dual fuel 18350. If rein does a 3.0 dual fuel micro, Id be tempted.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 12:57:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Ended up putting a Rein 3.0 on my wife's build; everything else was chosen for a balance of low cost and low weight

She said she wanted to be sure she could see what she needed to if she needed to shoot something in the woods.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 1:31:14 AM EDT
[#46]

Welcome to team cloud lol
View Quote

More of a welcome back.

Love the original COR rail and OWL combo. Unless the rail or light breaks/fails, I’ll probably have this combo til I get chucked in the dirt.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Just ordered one in odg for my current AR set up....can't wait for it to get here, will post pics once i put it on!
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 11:27:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Just some porn and a reminder I still need to replace my fire pit cover.

Link Posted: 7/25/2023 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#49]
I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I'm considering this light or the modlight plhv2 with the surefire ds00 switch. Does anyone have experience with both? How would you compare them in performance and size? Do you have pics of both?
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By tarheel7734:
I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I'm considering this light or the modlight plhv2 with the surefire ds00 switch. Does anyone have experience with both? How would you compare them in performance and size? Do you have pics of both?
View Quote

The 3.0 will have close to plhv2 spill with a hotspot/throw closer to the okw head.
Page / 4
Cloud Rein 3.0 (Page 2 of 4)
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top