Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2017 8:25:14 PM EDT
Looking at getting one for my Daniel Defense M4, What do people think of them? An is the 2 worth going with over the 1 for HD rifle?
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:59:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Some discussion of the yet-to-be-seen-in-the-flesh HL-X
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:31:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Looking at getting one for my Daniel Defense M4, What do people think of them? An is the 2 worth going with over the 1 for HD rifle?
View Quote

I went with the 1 battery model.  Plenty of light with a single CR-123A battery,  lighter, more compact.  I mounted it with the tape switch on top, for ambi activation, and pushed well forward  and up with a Thorntail Scout mount.  Love it so far.

Link Posted: 3/10/2017 2:21:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I decided to go  with the Streamlight mount 1 with a  magpul mlok Offset Light Mount.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I put a 2 on my (now) backup 6920 and another 2 on my Beretta 1301. Not many rounds on the light in the Colt but the shotgun lights has held up great for 500-600 rounds of buck and slugs and another 1000 birdshot.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I like them.  Planning to sell my older Surefire Classic Series barrel lights & upgrading to them.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:32:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:34:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I decided to go  with the Streamlight mount 1 with a  magpul mlok Offset Light Mount.
View Quote
Any chance you can post a pic?
I'm thinking of doing something similar.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 6:50:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Any chance you can post a pic?
I'm thinking of doing something similar.
View Quote
Best I can do is bad cell phone pics, Cant find the charger for my camera.

Link Posted: 3/21/2017 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Only critique i have is once you have the placement of everything where you like it...toss some more zip ties on that.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Only critique i have is once you have the placement of everything where you like it...toss some more zip ties on that.
View Quote
Just haven't gotten around to it, Been sick the last week.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a RM1 & RM2 on the way.
Now watch, as soon as they arrive, the HL-X model will become available
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:20:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a RM1 & RM2 on the way.
Now watch, as soon as they arrive, the HL-X model will become available
View Quote
I was worried about that also.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:08:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I tried to find out, was if the HL-X type weapon lights increase in output, was also going to have a change to the RM-1, giving that one higher lumens as well.
I found nothing mentioned about it. If there was a chance, the LED would be getting upgraded to allow higher output.

With an LED upgrade, 500 lumen coming from the RM-1 is do-able. Likely more output than that and still have longevity of juice.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:02:41 PM EDT
[#14]
My RM-1 arrived today. I was "going too" install it on my Haley Strategic Thorntail, but there's a slight problem.
The Thorntail, being so tight to the rail at a 45° angle to the top rail, does not allow this mounting method.
When the RM-1 is mounted, the light contacts the MBUS actuator, and restricts bolting the HS mount in place. SHIZ!!
Time to re-group and find a different mount!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:11:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My RM-1 arrived today. I was "going too" install it on my Haley Strategic Thorntail, but there's a slight problem.
The Thorntail, being so tight to the rail at a 45° angle to the top rail, does not allow this mounting method.
When the RM-1 is mounted, the light contacts the MBUS actuator, and restricts bolting the HS mount in place. SHIZ!!
View Quote
Where is your Thorntail?  I put mine at the right side front rail slot.  The RM-1 ended up nicely nestled alongside the A2 FSB as in my photo above.

I realize you have an MBUS.  Maybe you could move it back one rail slot or try  different location for the Thorntail.  Don't give up.  Try experimenting with rail slot locations to eliminate the interference.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:07:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Where is your Thorntail?  I put mine at the right side front rail slot.  The RM-1 ended up nicely nestled alongside the A2 FSB as in my photo above.

I realize you have an MBUS.  Maybe you could move it back one rail slot or try  different location for the Thorntail.  Don't give up.  Try experimenting with rail slot locations to eliminate the interference.
View Quote
My hand guard, the Troy Alpha VTAC has only the top rail. If I must, I can add other mounting points by attaching a short rail section. But that was not my plan.
Another option I looked at is the PLM-D Mount. But (sorry Frank) I don't think the idea is very well thought out.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:06:21 AM EDT
[#17]
They are a good economical alternative to the SF scouts, and for most people, will deliver.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Attachment Attached File

I have a RM2 In an Arisaka mount.
Love it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:56:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't know if I'd trust an RM-1 or RM-2 on a deployment, but I own both and so far both have been 100%. For a budget light I can find little to fault w/it.

Tomac

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:41:27 AM EDT
[#20]
After taking the RM-1 light apart for a quality check, they are what they claim to be, a budget light.
I see them as alternatives in rotation.
Inside the head, a XPG LED, very small wires, aluminum heat sink. And plastic retainers.
And it's not a wonder the light flickers on recoil, the dual-fuel, two-step spring inside the tube, barely touches the CR123 button head.
Here's a couple images.

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:26:43 PM EDT
[#21]
There's a pretty comprehensive review including video addressing the flickering under recoil rumor on TOS.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There's a pretty comprehensive review including video addressing the flickering under recoil rumor on TOS.
View Quote
Which other site?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:53:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Which other site?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which other site?
I found a flicker/recoil test on Youtube that was extreme to represent recoil of an m4, but did not read (TOS).
There is plenty of info found by searching Google, though the video was plenty, along with other verbal commentary to back it up.
My take on the flicker is most didn't notice it, and it didn't cause any failure to mention.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:22:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I found a flicker/recoil test on Youtube that was extreme to represent recoil of an m4, but could find nothing relative to TOS.
There is plenty of info found by searching Google, though the video was plenty, along with other verbal commentary to back it up.
My take on the flicker is most didn't notice it, and it didn't cause any failure to mention.
View Quote
Recently did a night shoot w/a good friend who was using an RM-1. If his light flickered at all during the 100+ rds he fired, I didn't see it.

Tomac
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Recently did a night shoot w/a good friend who was using an RM-1. If his light flickered at all during the 100+ rds he fired, I didn't see it.

Tomac
View Quote
Same here.  Had a friend watch me shoot at night after I heard the flicker reports.  He saw no flicker from my RM-1 in a Thorntail Scout mount.  I was using the tape switch tailcap, rather than the button tailcap, if that matters.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:41:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
I clipped off the lip on the right side of the MBUS lever. Works great now.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:56:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Necessity is the mother of invention.  Good solution.  Glad it worked out.  You will like the combo.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:53:55 AM EDT
[#28]
I tried the Thorntail and was not happy. So I ordered the Arisaka mount made specifically for the VTAC slots.
That worked, after I clipped off the left tab of the sight.
Then I clipped off the right side of the sight, and tried it there using the remote switch.
I still was not happy. The whole works come off and back into their packaging.
I ordered a Surefire X300u-b. It's mounted at 12 o'clock
Now I'm satisfied

My gut feeling told me to step up to the plate in the first place. I procrastinated due to the cost.
Now it's a done deal.

I picked up a PKDL PRX (Rocket-550lm) at the same time. It's a nice light. I'm not sure what that will go on.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:36:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I tried the Thorntail and was not happy. So I ordered the Arisaka mount made specifically for the VTAC slots.
Then I clipped off the right side of the sight, and tried it there using the remote switch.
Now I'm satisfied

My gut feeling told me to step up to the plate in the first place. I procrastinated due to the cost.
Now it's a done deal.

I picked up a PKDL PRX (Rocket-550lm) at the same time. It's a nice light. I'm not sure what that will go on.
http://imgdump4.novarata.net/image.uploads/11-04-2017/original-8139bc1948a3e5bd9b892a7fff0b1a90.jpg
View Quote
Couldn't you have moved the front sight back one rail slot and put the Thorntail mount in front of it?  Or installed a slimmer front folding sight? Sems like an extreme solution to what was only a mount mount issue.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:20:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Necessity is the mother of invention.  Good solution.  Glad it worked out.  You will like the combo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do. I am thinking of getting a ProTac RM 1 for my SBR. I have a TLR-1 HL on it now and really don't care for it. Mounting with the Haley mount on the left of the rifle is difficult and without a pressure pad switch I have to reach over the top of the hand guard to activate it. It works but I think I will prefer the RM 1 since it is similar to my RM 2.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:21:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Now I'm satisfied

Now it's a done deal.

http://imgdump4.novarata.net/image.uploads/11-04-2017/original-8139bc1948a3e5bd9b892a7fff0b1a90.jpg
View Quote
I need to try 12 o'clock before I buy another light.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:34:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Couldn't you have moved the front sight back one rail slot and put the Thorntail mount in front of it?  Or installed a slimmer front folding sight? Sems like an extreme solution to what was only a mount mount issue.
View Quote
The problem I was having is a mix of hand guard, barrel, muzzle brake. I wanted to keep the head of the RM-1 behind the MB.
Not having side rails would have me installing a short piece. That's not what I wanted. So I bought the Arisaka mount.
The Arisaka put the light in perfect position at 11 or 1, but I had to kick the front sight more than planned.
The more I focused on getting the head of the light out of the muzzle blast area, the further everything had to move back and I was losing gripping area. And sight radius.
This is when I took it all off and got the X300.
My OCD wins again.

Here's a visual.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The problem I was having is a mix of hand guard, barrel, muzzle brake. I wanted to keep the head of the RM-1 behind the MB.
Not having side rails would have me installing a short piece. That's not what I wanted. So I bought the Arisaka mount.
The Arisaka put the light in perfect position at 11 or 1, but I had to kick the front sight more than planned.
The more I focused on getting the head of the light out of the muzzle blast area, the further everything had to move back and I was losing gripping area. And sight radius.
This is when I took it all off and got the X300.
My OCD wins again.

Here's a visual.
http://imgdump4.novarata.net/image.uploads/12-04-2017/original-3b210cd8a420ddd101de16966c05a949.jpg
View Quote
Now I understand.  I have a tactical shotgun with an extended magazine that would put my tactical light too close to the muzzle or have the barrel shadow some of the throw.  I ended up using a similar light, the EOTech Insight WML-1-AA, which has its own direct QD Picatinny mount and tape switch which I could run back to the handguard.  I was able to position it on a magazine clamp on Picatinny that let me put it in a more ideal position at 6 o'clock but right under, just behind the muzzle.  Similar setup to what you've done but at 6 o'clock.

I do think the combo of the Thorntail and the RM-1 offset to the left or right with a top mounted ambi tape switch will work well for most of us.  Thanks for the feedback.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 1:34:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Thinking anout a RM1 too instead of the SF 300. Even though I trust SF more, it's is a little over 4x the price of the RM1. Ouch.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:53:24 PM EDT
[#35]
There's now a shitload of departments running these things across the country, the 1000 lumen version is a lot bigger than the RM2 but damn it's incredible, I havent heard any reports of failures or returns on any of these, mine have all been bombproof so I'll keep running them, streamlight has made it very hard for LE agencies issuing these and individual officers buying them for themselves to spend double on the SF scout when these things are performing the way they are. I'll get another update on how these lights are doing nationally at NTOA in a few months.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 4:59:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Went ahead and picked up a RM1. The SF Scout is 4x the price with the pad, ouch.

Anyways, currently test mounted it on a DD MFR 9.0 rail with the Arisaka mount. Tried the 1:30 position and didn't like the shadow the sup produced. 3 even worse. Have mine mounted at 6.  Still need to fire it to make sure it'll work.

The spill isn't great, but usable. I like the big smooth spill of my TNVC(iirc) assembly on the SF 6P. Maybe there will be new LED modules for the RM1 down the road.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 5:35:58 AM EDT
[#37]
I have had one a couple months now. Haven't actually slapped it on a gun, just used it for work.gets hot as hell. Eats batteries pretty fast. You're gonna want to get a rechargeable battery and charger. I got a car charger since they're half the cost of home chargers.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 7:44:02 AM EDT
[#38]
I bought 3 Pro-tac 1s for my 3 rifles. I went with that model not because of price but because it can use either 1 CR123 (at 350 lumens) or 1 AA (at 150 lumens).

If I wanted likens only then HL-X all the way, but I purposely wanted the practical choice that allows me to run either types of battery in a pinch.

At the end of the day, I'll take practicality over lumens.

Plus 350 lumens is pretty decent for a single cell light.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:33:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Last night I tested the 1000 lumen HLX right next to the RM2 and I gotta say there isnt a massive difference, RM2 definitely has a tighter more focused beam like surefire which I prefer, the HLX has at least 20% more spill and a less focused hot spot and a little bit more brightness overall, is it worth the size increase over the RM2?

In my opinion it depends what your doing, if you want distance no, if you want more intensity and a wider throw then yes.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top