Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2017 8:40:32 PM EDT
Sighting in a IR laser can be a pain under NODs but can be especially difficult with a pistol. What you'll need is a dimly light area the length you want to zero your rig, a cell phone camera, a measuring tape, a vice, and a platform. Set up gun to your platform, vice and target at the distance you want to zero your rig in a dimly lit area. Align your red dot or iron sights to the center of the target. Measure the distance from the top of your sight to the center of your IR emitter than the vertical distance to the bore. Align your dot/iron sights to the center of you target, then mark your off set where for you IR laser for a constant off set method or center it to the POA/POI of your dot/irons. Using your cell phone's camera to view your IR laser on the target. It can be seen @ 8"-10" away depending on how much white light is in the area. Adjust your IR laser to the desired location on your target and your done. The nice thing about this method is you can see, adjust your laser with tools easily instead of going white light every time you make an adjustment and there is no bloom under NODs to deal with.

Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Also, use any IR sensitive IP camera and do the same thing...
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:36:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Would have thought that it would have a visible light feature.

What is your goal with a IR only device if you don't have any method to see it (besides a cell phone at 10 feet)?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:29:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What is your goal with a IR only device if you don't have any method to see it (besides a cell phone at 10 feet)?
View Quote

IR light/Lasers are viewable in low to no light with the aid of night vision.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:30:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Duplicate post
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Aiming with Night Vision.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:37:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

IR light/Lasers are viewable in low to no light with the aid of night vision.
View Quote

Yes, yes, I get that. Not my first time shooting with IR lasers and a NVG...

My question, based on the OP, was WHY? he has the thing if he can't see it without having to use his cell phone at 10 feet? The OP implied that he does not have NV, hence m confusion.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:43:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes, yes, I get that. Not my first time shooting with IR lasers and a NVG...

My question, based on the OP, was WHY? he has the thing if he can't see it without having to use his cell phone at 10 feet? The OP implied that he does not have NV, hence m confusion.
View Quote

To add to your confusion I am the OP and I didn't say I don't have NV, I said no NV was needed to sight in a IR laser. As your probably aware you get a lot of bloom when sighting in at close distances or on white targets. Also the distance I used the phone camera was 8"-10" away not 10 feet.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:06:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Hmm, I guess that could come in handy if your NVG breaks or you forgot it, but still need to sight in your laser. Since you're not live firing, you can easily have your phone and helper down range.

Usually I'd just zero with the visible laser at 100yds, since the peq has the IR and vis tied together.

Usually bloom isn't an issue at >25yds, below that you just learn to ignore it. The focus is still clear enough.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:20:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hmm, I guess that could come in handy if your NVG breaks or you forgot it, but still need to sight in your laser. Since you're not live firing, you can easily have your phone and helper down range.

Usually I'd just zero with the visible laser at 100yds, since the peq has the IR and vis tied together.

Usually bloom isn't an issue at >25yds, below that you just learn to ignore it. The focus is still clear enough.
View Quote

It's impossible to find a range in my area that you can zero in a no light scenario and the closest BLM is 2 hrs away. Zeroing with a cumulated laser is nice, but will be slightly off not that it'll make a big difference, so I opt to overlap IR with a red dot at the furtherest distance possible that way your never off more than your offset. Also it'd be great if someone would make a light weight compact  IR/VIS laser with IR/White light module. I'd buy one in a second
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#10]
They do. It's called the peq-16. You just (likely) aren't special enough to have one. Neither am I (personal or issued).

I see your dilemma now, before I was looking at the problem objectively.

You could in theory make your own sight in target using graph paper for 10 yards and do it at home. You just have to be precise with your math and plotting.

Most members here tend to over think their setups and gear, so I try to provide a more real world sense. Too many haven't had the opportunity to stretch out to 400 yards at night with a laser and nv. I'm pretty good at this because I do actually know how weapons and sights work, so I can complicate the typical marine "it hit the target, it's good" mentality, to make it hit center mass, but I digress, you don't need my entire background history. If you care for it, pm me (not expecting you to).
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:30:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I was referring to a pistol mounted IR light/White light IR/Vis laser. The latest and greatest in my time was also the PEQ 2B.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:42:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's impossible to find a range in my area that you can zero in a no light scenario and the closest BLM is 2 hrs away. Zeroing with a cumulated laser is nice, but will be slightly off not that it'll make a big difference, so I opt to overlap IR with a red dot at the furtherest distance possible that way your never off more than your offset. Also it'd be great if someone would make a light weight compact  IR/VIS laser with IR/White light module. I'd buy one in a second
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It ain't cheap ($900), and I don't know what you consider "light weight" (5.4oz), but Steiner makes the DBAL-PL an All In 1 package (White Illum, Green/Red Vis Laser, IR Illum, IR laser). @TNVC is a site sponsor (you probably know that, since you own NOD). @TNVC_Sam or @TNVC_Clasky will hopefully pop in and give us more information on the device.

https://tnvc.com/shop/ldi-dbal-pl-class-1-ir-laser/
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:09:52 AM EDT
[#13]
That bad boy sounds legit.

Not really keen on the laser and lights being linked, but for a pistol sized device, that's still awesome. I don't think it'd be as usable if it had 4 buttons on the back, so I see why steiner did what they did.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That bad boy sounds legit.

Not really keen on the laser and lights being linked, but for a pistol sized device, that's still awesome. I don't think it'd be as usable if it had 4 buttons on the back, so I see why steiner did what they did.
View Quote

FYI, I believe that @SHOT, Steiner announced that the buttons would now be programmable.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top