AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The issues with 18650 batteries is from using the cheap ass fakes.

As has been pointed out, if you stick to known Brands from REPUTABLE suppliers you can trust, you won't have any issues.

I don't remember if it's from this thread or a different one, but a member stated "Don't trust any rechargeable brand that their name ends in fire"

There are quite a few crap cells that their name ends in "fire" that sell batteries that are unsafe and make outrageous claims as to capacity.

I only use AW brand IMR cells from Oveready. I was purchasing Panasonic cells, but they are slightly larger in diameter than AW cells and were too tight a fit in my Zebralight SC600.

If you want to have an explosion, in your hand....cut corners on your batteries. Funny thing, the members of candlepowerforums.com have been using 18650's for years with ZERO issues but then again they know better than to purchase CRAP!
View Quote
I don't do the "Made in China" thing. Sorry. Don't care how "quality" it is.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:22:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 2:21:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
No one in CID at my department uses a handheld light that is not at least 1000 lumens for a daily carry light. Olight, Thrunite, Fenix, etc. I have a 600 lumen E2B on a active shooter/felony warrant belt kit in the trunk, but carry a Fenix daily right now. Virtually all of them use 18650. Every single member of CID has a lithium ion charger with batteries in their office. Patrol is also shifting away from big Streamlights to smaller lights that use 18650. The only reason the weapon lights are not 18650 is because Surefire is behind the curve and trying to sell its own brand 123 cells. Now that Streamlight has an 18650 weaponlight for under $150 I can tell you 90% of the new weapon lights on long guns at my department are going to be Streamlight until Surefire catches up. Handgun lights, its Surefire and Streamlight 50/50 and all 123 cells, but for rifle lights it is all over the place due to the price of the Surefire rifle lights. Id love a Scout format 18650 that did 900-1000 lumens and Id pay twice the cost of a Streamlight to get it. The 600 lumens Scout is fine indoors but outside it just dies past 100 yards. Never heard of some one complain a light was too bright in law enforcement except when writing a ticket.

If you are using the light correctly, you should not even be looking at the light directly most of the time, when searching. Do a quick strobe while panning the light up, down, left, right etc. get a flash image of the area and move in the dark, then pop it again, etc. The reflected light will illuminate the room effectively. Introduce light to a room before you enter it to blind anyone inside. By keeping the light intermittent anyone in another room cannot tell when you are near or how far you are. By introducing light to a room before entering you rob anyone inside of their night vision. After that you can pop a blip of light as you get in position and clear on your terms. The more light for this the better. If you meet someone with their own light you better have significantly more lumens than they do because the person with the least lumens is going to be blinded while the other person can still see.

Low light is only needed for administrative tasks that require continuous light, very close range observations, etc. which is a small portion of what is needed and a weapon light is NOT what you want to use for those tasks. These ideas of 60-75 lumens is all you need and under 300 is what you want is beyond ridiculous. You guys must have old weapon lights on the EE or something.
View Quote
Agreed. I carry an armytek predator that is 1000 lumens on patrol, surefire x300 on my pistol and surefire on my patrol rifle that will be upgraded soon. Not once have I had a problem with eagletac 18650s and not once have I wished one of my weapon lights were less bright.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 3:15:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You DO realize that ALL LED's are manufactured in China including the units Surefire uses?
View Quote
This is sadly so, in most cases. That said, I just can't get on board with the cheapie alternatives like streamlight. Lack of quality is too tangible,  from poor architecture design, to cheap anodizing etc.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 3:48:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just ordered the 800 lumen TLR1 HL for <$100. I can't wait to compare it to my 600lumen x300ub.

So far it seems like Streamlight (with the TLR-1 Hl and ProTac Railmounts) might be a legitimate quality alternative to SF at "human prices".

I love SF but they're being given a real run for the money.

Now Streamlight just needs a 1k lumen dual output series for IR.
View Quote
I have one of their Protac HL lights that's rated at 600 lumens I think. The only downside to most of the lumen ratings right now is that you get that bright light for about 15 minutes then it drips to probably 400, it seems. I like the light though. 
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:59:15 PM EDT
[#7]
 This isn't GD
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:24:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If police/swat, military and firefighters can trust streamlight products, I'm sure they will be just fine
View Quote
Streamlight is not on par with Surefire, no matter how many budget conscious cops use Streamlight. Still, I have an HLX handheld and rail mount, simply because Surefire is not in the same market. I don't own a Streamlight pistol light or 123 cell Streamlight Rail Mount 1 or 2 for the opposite reason. I also know multiple people who don't own the X300U because it is ONLY 600 lumens. Different strokes...
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:43:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Well...when I was in the Ukraine...

that 600 lumens was a god send....and lots of fun as it blinded people severely.

The Ultra defender was the same also.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:07:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If police/swat, military and firefighters can trust streamlight products, I'm sure they will be just fine
View Quote
I know one large SWAT department that issues the new RM2's. They have had good luck with them so far. Still doesn't mean they like them as much as Surefire, just that's what the dept. budget went for.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I am also annoyed that Surefire sticks you with their BS push for momentary/turn for constant on switch.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 5:52:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am also annoyed that Surefire sticks you with their BS push for momentary/turn for constant on switch.
View Quote
Huh?
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 12:09:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ha. That's the best switch ever put on a light.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 2:50:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ha. That's the best switch ever put on a light.
View Quote
On the handgun, yes it's awesome. Also like their handgun pressure switches. It keeps the manual of arms for all flaslights, push forward  to activate.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 5:42:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Agreed.
View Quote
Once I put a Malkoff M361 (selectable to give 15 lumens/80 lumens/400 lumens) in my C2, the utility of Surefire's "clicky" SW02 and Z48 switches became very apparent. That I can stand the light on its switch end is even better.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:50:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This is sadly so, in most cases. That said, I just can't get on board with the cheapie alternatives like streamlight. Lack of quality is too tangible,  from poor architecture design, to cheap anodizing etc.
View Quote
HA HA HA

try to put on a  X300 then put on a tlr-1 then come back and spout your bull shit about poor design.

I don't know what you want a flash light to dobut the TLR-1 will do it better the only drawback is the switches. sure fire's remote tape switch options are far better.  I am over all unimpressed with the Surfire  product line when compared to stream light.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:15:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Dupe.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They can't even begin to compare to a light like the Fenix TK75 which outputs 4,000 lumens at a price of UNDER $200.00

Oh, wait a minute, they DO have the Hellfighter 5 at 4,500 lumens that retails for $4,300.00

I drank the Surefire KoolAid for YEARS, I have several thousand dollars in Surefire lights. That was before I wandered into Candlepowerforums.com

Fenix TK75 2015

Turbo - 4000 Lumens - 1 hr. 40 min.
High - 1600 Lumens - 3 hr. 40 min.
Mid - 600 Lumens - 11 hr. 20 min.
Low - 35 Lumens - 270 hr.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/PursuitSS/Bolt%20Carriers/3483558A-AE22-4345-BEFB-93F4B257F620.jpg

One place I will give it to Surefire is dedicated weapons lights, I'm running a Surefire M600 on my duty rifle with an aftermarket LED head. If the M600 body was thick enough I'd bore it to 18mm and use a 18650 battery. But it's too damn thin.  I've yet to find a tape switch comparable to Surefire.
View Quote
Yay for cheap Chinese slave labor.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:04:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They can't even begin to compare to a light like the Fenix TK75 which outputs 4,000 lumens at a price of UNDER $200.00

Oh, wait a minute, they DO have the Hellfighter 5 at 4,500 lumens that retails for $4,300.00

I drank the Surefire KoolAid for YEARS, I have several thousand dollars in Surefire lights. That was before I wandered into Candlepowerforums.com

Fenix TK75 2015

Turbo - 4000 Lumens - 1 hr. 40 min.
High - 1600 Lumens - 3 hr. 40 min.
Mid - 600 Lumens - 11 hr. 20 min.
Low - 35 Lumens - 270 hr.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/PursuitSS/Bolt%20Carriers/3483558A-AE22-4345-BEFB-93F4B257F620.jpg

One place I will give it to Surefire is dedicated weapons lights, I'm running a Surefire M600 on my duty rifle with an aftermarket LED head. If the M600 body was thick enough I'd bore it to 18mm and use a 18650 battery. But it's too damn thin.  I've yet to find a tape switch comparable to Surefire.
Aren't parts of SF made in China? Fenix  lights are fantastic for their cost and durability.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:11:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Aren't parts of SF made in China?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Aren't parts of SF made in China?
Per Surfire's site some are completely made with US parts and some use parts from outside the US.

Quoted:
Fenix  lights are fantastic for their cost and durability.
I have (3) TK11's and they have been great, especially when you factor in the price.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:08:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 1:49:39 PM EDT
[#24]
For me 300 Lumens is enough for indoor/outdoor use. This depends alot on bezel design too imo. I find the 600 Lumen lights rediculous, then again I dont live on a bazilion acre farm, im in the city. So I agree with the op, but everyones needs are dif.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:54:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Anyone else annoyed with Surefire making lights brighter and brighter and with shorter and shorter battery life?

I don't need 600 lumens on a handgun light (x300).  That much light will blind me and ruin my night vision.  I would rather have 100 lumens and 6-8 hours of battery life.
View Quote

I'm with you (not just Surefire, but all light makers). I recently received an Olight PL2 Valkyrie and it's completely useless indoors (1200 lumens! Yikes) which I believe is the leader for the most lumens for a pistol light. . As soon as you turn it off, your blind for about a minute. The lumen race is ridiculous. It's like the auto industry's horsepower wars. You get to the point that you cannot possibly use it (on the road) anyway, so it's just wasted (unless bragging rights is someone's idea of "useful").

What I would like to see is light manufacturers install a switch on the outside so we could quickly switch between an indoor/outdoor mode. Say... 300 lumen (max) as indoor mode, and whatever your heart desires for outdoor (ETA: not talking about tailcap, talking about a separate exterior switch, so the tailcap mode/operation can remain a 1 push deal). They seem to be ignoring there are two distinct uses for lights (indoor and outdoor) and one mode does not work well for both.
A quickly accessed switch (such as the constant/momentary switch on Inforce WML) would be a godsend and make lights, truly, a one does all.

Surefire, Olight, Inforce... are you listening? Feel free to call it the "Maverick model"
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:10:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 2:11:58 AM EDT
[#27]
i really want a decent battery life.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I was annoyed when they made a 600V with 350 lumens of white light to replace the 150 lu.  I still bought it, but it's almost as if they had been holding on to the technology for making $
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 3:36:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
i really want a decent battery life.
View Quote
This.

Surefire's launches a new 300 lumen light, it has 1.5 hours run time.
Light is upgraded to 500 lumens, still has 1.5 hours run time.
Output is upgraded to 600 lumens, still 1.5 hours run time.
Light just comes out with 800 lumens, you guessed it, 1.5 hours run time.

They need to hire a run a run time engineering team and focus on that.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#30]
I’m mostly annoyed that they don’t sell reasonable priced replacement heads. I’ve got a bunch of old scouts, some with the first gen leds which iirc were only 100 lumens.

Looking at their website and they have a 500 lumen replacement head for a whopping $10 less than a complete 600 lumen scout.

I get why they do that, but it’s still shitty.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Only lights I use are Klarus. Xt11 or xt2c.  These things are bulletproof, well made and reasonable in price.

XT2c

XT11
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 6:28:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Only lights I use are Klarus. Xt11 or xt2c.  These things are bulletproof, well made and reasonable in price.

XT2c

XT11
View Quote
Klarus lights are sleepers for sure. Their interface is the only solution to anyone wanting strobe.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 12:48:27 PM EDT
[#33]
I think what OP really means is a balance between output and run time. New LEDs are certainly more efficient and capable than ones from an older x200 for instance. While it is impressive, pushing these LEDs to acheive 800, 1000, and even 1500 on 2 123a batteries is not necessarily practical. The output certainly takes a hit after the first few minutes.  Heat and lack of power really destroy the output in the first few minutes.  You don't truly realize diminished output until about half the output is lost. However, I think longer constant output times are much more practical. It's not about saving money because I don't want to buy batteries, rather I appreciate technology that eliminates stress and increases readiness (like an aimpoint red dot's longevity).

I think the finest flashlight (not tac light) Surefire ever made was the last generation Outdoorsman (E2L-A). It was good for 125 lumens for just over 6 hours at 100% output. If a new Surefire LED could produce 200 or 300 lumens for 5-6 hours straight that would be the awesome.

Link Posted: 12/7/2017 10:11:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Delete
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 10:12:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That's B.S.

There are ZERO manufacturers of LED's in the U.S.
View Quote
WRONG. Cree is an American manufacturer that has two plants in the US where they manufacture LEDs, chip-boards, and other components. They're also international suppliers so they also have factories in Europe and Asia.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nonsense. I own streamlights, olights, and Surefires. I actually pounded nails into wood with my olight to show a SureFire guy up.

Like I said in the other thread and more and more people are getting wise to, SF’s days are numbered unless they make some real changes soon.

And not finally offering a high lumen dual fuel light for triple the price of everyone else.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 11:30:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Sign me up! If I can dim my truck's gauge cluster, I should be able to dial down my weaponlights too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
First weapon light with a dimmer adjustment wins.
Just needs to be a micro screw driver slot.
Sign me up! If I can dim my truck's gauge cluster, I should be able to dial down my weaponlights too.
My rifles have Fenix lights on them. You can go one step dimmer with a quick twist of the light head. Same with going brighter.

I like the lower setting for clearing a house and the brighter setting for clearing outside.

Having cleared many a building, I prefer no more than 250 lumens (and even 120 is fine for inside a house) inside a building and 250+ outside. I have used the brighter setting for clearing inside large warehouses.

The Fenix light offers what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Surefire really needs to understand output is only one piece of the puzzle. IDGAF about a 2k lumen pistol light that has a 1 minute run time.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 9:55:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I’m mostly annoyed that they don’t sell reasonable priced replacement heads. I’ve got a bunch of old scouts, some with the first gen leds which iirc were only 100 lumens.

Looking at their website and they have a 500 lumen replacement head for a whopping $10 less than a complete 600 lumen scout.

I get why they do that, but it’s still shitty.
View Quote
Agree 10000% on this point.

After using the 1000 lumen Streaight HLX rail mount and regular HLX hand held variants regularly at work, I can say they push the limit indoors for comfort to red line. They are perfect outdoors, but I could use a tiny bit more in the hot spot only for pure range, but not in the spill, which hits nearby objects like fences, tree limbs etc. to prevent you from seeing further. If I try to use 1000 lumens tp search under a car seat I get a painful reminder to use a lower level setting. I wish I could get that light output in a M600 size/weight or better yet an Arisaka 300/ Surefire M300 size/weight package. Run time not an issue with a rechargeable lithium ion battery IMO. Use lower mode on a hand held for more run time.

Currently I am also not appreciative of Surefire going for more lumens at the expense of lux. I don't need less range and more spill to get a higher lumen rating on the box. Though the guys who hate high lumens indoors probably prefer the less blinding hotspot indoors.

Tactical flashlights are SUPPOSED to blind anyone's night adapted vision that sees the output. They should also blind and overpower any light an adversary may shine at you. When you both light each other up, the guy with much higher lumens/lux can see and the guy with a lower powered light just sees a bright spot.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 7:15:57 AM EDT
[#40]
I like the bright stuff, but I'm caught in a catch 22 right now. I'm not 100% trusting of Streamlight, but Surefire's prices are to the point that I just can't justify buying them anymore.

I bought an E2D-LED when I graduated college and it had around 200/15 lumens. It was great, but after a couple years, didn't seem as bright. I wanted to relegate it to backup duty and buy another one (higher output) for daily duty. The price had risen from the $116 I paid to $180. Even the single 123 was like $160-170ish. The equivalent streamlight was $53.

I also love my x300UA, but $170 used was an amazing amount of money for a stupid used flashlight. I never understood the pricing of the scout lights either. Never seemed like you were getting much for the assload of cash you're laying down to get it.

I'm pretty happy with current offerings for performance. Newer tech will make LEDs more efficient if/when they decide to stop trying to have the highest bragging rights. Until then, it'll just be a dick measuring contest.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 11:26:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Anyone else annoyed with Surefire .
View Quote
Yes! Will never own another product with their name on it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 6:52:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Run time not an issue with a rechargeable lithium ion battery IMO. Use lower mode on a hand held for more run time.
View Quote
Yeah I am hoping they get the run times down to 15 minutes just so I can wear a bandolier of 18650's.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 9:01:32 PM EDT
[#44]
So let me get this straight, you want a company to stop developing products because YOU yourself have poor low light techniques and end up blinding yourself?

Guys we need to tell barrel mfgs to stop making more accurate barrels because I cant shoot that accurately anyway.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#45]
This thread long ago departed the rails of "productive for a tech forum."
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top