BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2016 1:59:57 AM EDT
ETA: For anyone looking for something like this, I found one

solarforce L2M

Single 830 lumen clicky rear tail cap switch with momentary press and just shy of 2 hours of runtime
Takes an 18650/2xcr123a or can be shortened and take a single 123a

The modular factor is cool, but not required
This was the lightest and shortest length out of all of their surefire 6P style housings

Solarforce stuff is supposed to be durable based on some web info, but only time will tell
I am going to throw it in a keymod mount on my AR and I'll report back later

Quoted:
Can anyone recommend a product that would fit the bill?

Small
Light
Tail cap
Single mode
18650 or usb
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/24/2016 9:42:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Member Ramblinwreck has one that he passed around at the last Georgia HTF shoot back in September. We were all impressed with it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like a cool form factor. I'm gonna give one a shot.
Did you see the remote pressure switch for it?
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I can say from experience. SolarForce is GTG IMO. I've been using the L2 and L2m models for a few years without issue
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 1:39:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
ETA: For anyone looking for something like this, I found one

solarforce L2M

Single 830 lumen clicky rear tail cap switch with momentary press and just shy of 2 hours of runtime
Takes an 18650/2xcr123a or can be shortened and take a single 123a

The modular factor is cool, but not required
This was the lightest and shortest length out of all of their surefire 6P style housings

Solarforce stuff is supposed to be durable based on some web info, but only time will tell
I am going to throw it in a keymod mount on my AR and I'll report back later

Quoted:
Can anyone recommend a product that would fit the bill?

Small
Light
Tail cap
Single mode
18650 or usb
View Quote
View Quote

I have several Solarforce hosts, and they are nice. I have one L2, two L2Ps and one L2T. For the price, you can't beat them. But if you plan to use one for a weapon light, I recommend only buying the host, and adding a Malkoff p60 module.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I wanted to update......
I picked up one of the L2M that is linked in the OP.
I was really impressed with it for the price.
I have since picked up a few more.
The drop in works good, but I plan to upgrade in the future as $$ allow.
It's a great way to get multiple rifles setup with a light.
My absolute go to rifles will always have Surefire or Streamlights on them, but I have since been able to illuminate 4 rifles for little $$ using the solarforce light.
It's great in 1-CR123 format on an AR pistol. Super small.
Just be aware that in 1-CR123 format, lumens are cut in half.
But still plenty bright enough for HD indoors.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 4:15:16 PM EDT
[#6]
The L2M is an excellent p60 host. Solarforce bodies are g2g. I would buy/build a few p60 modules to swap out in it for various things, make it even more versatile.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:08:32 PM EDT
[#7]
For those that have used the Malkoff drop-in on the L2M, did you experience a loose drop-in fit inside the head of the L2M host? The M61L drop-in I have fits snug in my Surefire G2 head w/out batteries installed but it flops around in the L2M head without batterires installed. Do I need to get the black fitting ring that Malkoff sells? Even when batteries are in which provides tension on the springs, a mild shake to simulate recoil causes everything internally, includomg drop-in, to slam back and then forward again.

Also, do I need a sleeve to make sure the primary lithiums don't have side to side wiggle room in the L2M?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:39:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't want to hijack your thread, but I'm also interested in more info on the drop-ins. I'm thinking of getting the elzetta mount, and will need a light to put in it. I have an L2M host, but no dropin for it. I can get a streamight polytac for about the same price as a malkoff - maybe less.  What to do?!?!  I hate decisions!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:54:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For those that have used the Malkoff drop-in on the L2M, did you experience a loose drop-in fit inside the head of the L2M host? The M61L drop-in I have fits snug in my Surefire G2 head w/out batteries installed but it flops around in the L2M head without batterires installed. Do I need to get the black fitting ring that Malkoff sells? Even when batteries are in, which provides tension on the springs inside tail cap and at base of drop-in, a mild shake to simulate recoil causes everything internally, including drop-in, to slam back and then forward again.

Also, do I need a sleeve to make sure the primary lithiums don't have side to side wiggle room in the L2M?
View Quote
So nobody has had the issues I am describing? Everything seemed positive in this thread about the L2M which is what caused me to buy a couple of the L2M hosts. I also tried an M61 drop-in just to make sure the M61L wasn't a fluke and it had equal amounts of play. I don't want internals shaking around like that and am very curious to see what others have encountered.  I called malkoff and they said no fitting ring should be required and I emailed solarforce with no reply yet.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:44:38 AM EDT
[#10]
It's normal for there to be some play between various p60 drop-ins and hosts. All of the p60 modules I build for customers fit differently in each light. I'de imagine the malkof has a bit of play because it's machined to fit a surefire head exactly, which in turn may be just a hair smaller than an L2M. One of the reasons you see big springs on the bottom of a p60 module is to help it push up and fit tight against the bezel when you screw it in = no rattles.

What I would do if you don't want the malkof to rattle in your L2M is to wrap it. Take aluminum foil or very thin copper sheet and cut it in to 3/8" wide strips, proceed to wrap your dropin with said strips just under where the module flares out into the reflector. Wrap around tightly to help prevent air gaps, check fit often, stop when it slides in snug, replace bezel. That'll fix the rattle and will give the drop in better heatsinking to the host. The bane of a p60 module is heat dissipation, which is why malkofs are solid metal, to soak away heat from the LED & driver better. Give it a shot, trust me, I build these suckers for folks.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you, very useful feedback. To make sure I am completely understanding, are you wrapping the conical/tapered portion or the cylindrical/non tapered portion of drop in?

Also, there isn't a "bit of play", it seems significant but I don't have much to which I can compare when it comes to mixing and matching hosts and dropins.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 5:25:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you, very useful feedback. To make sure I am completely understanding, are you wrapping the conical/tapered portion or the cylindrical/non tapered portion of drop in?

Also, there isn't a "bit of play", it seems significant but I don't have much to which I can compare when it comes to mixing and matching hosts and dropins.
View Quote
Yes, start wrapping right where the tapered portion joins the cylindrical portion of the module. It's gonna rattle, unless that module is made for that host. That's the thing about p60 platform, there is guidelines for specs, but each manufacturer's specs may be slightly different within those guidelines.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:51:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had it on the gun for a while, haven't performed any nighttime shooting with it instead of IR, but I have shot quite a bit with it attached and it still works without any issues.

I don't know if it's 900 lumens or whatever they say, but it's a lot brighter than my surefire G2 or my TLR-1, good beam dispersion too. Floody enoughy to see stuff but will reach ~150 yards or so (haven't really done much testing in this regard)

if it continues to hold up I'd say it's a winner
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top