Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2016 7:00:18 PM EDT
I have one of the XC-1 lights on my G19...probably has been on there for about 500rds. The light works fine...when it works. Problem is, if I try to turn on the light after it has sat for several weeks, nothing happens. Unscrew the battery cap and screw it back on...everything works fine. Leave the pistol sitting out for a couple days and try it every so often every day...always works. Stick it all back in the box and pull it out two weeks later...nothing.

Any ideas or should I just send it back to Surefire? And yes, I've replaced the battery multiple times.

ETA: Just tried it before writing this and it didn't turn on. Tried again after clicking "Submit" and it worked.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:51:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I would definitely call surefire, that doesn't sound right.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 7:29:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would definitely call surefire, that doesn't sound right.
View Quote

Not isolated, though.  Mine does the same.  This reminds me that I need to call them about it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#3]
the few XC-1's i've seen including my own also do this.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:18:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Same here. I also have the annoying dimming issues.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 1:55:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Everytime I check my XC1 it has worked for me, I must be in the minority. I haven't had a chance to shoot it at night yet to see if it dims/flickers during recoil, but it doesn't appear to during daylight.

I can say thought that if you shoot much at all with the light mounted, it becomes practically a candlestick. The output is relatively low to start with, then add a little residue from live fire and the lens is easily covered. I ran a 2 day handgun course with mine mounted since I carried it daily at the time, and at the end of day 2 the light barely illuminated more than a few feet ahead.

So if you shoot with yours mounted, make sure you really stay on top of keeping the lens clean and clear to keep all the output you can get.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:13:08 PM EDT
[#6]
They need to go back to the drawing board with this one.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:33:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Well it's simultaneously comforting and disturbing to hear that this is a known issue. Kinda a deal-killer for a concealed carry light. If I ever need it, I will NEED it and it may not be there for me.

Too bad I have $$$ invested in holsters to fit it too.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They need to go back to the drawing board with this one.
View Quote

These reports have kept me from purchasing one. For the time being, the APL will continue to live on my cc guns
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:01:25 PM EDT
[#9]

For such a big company, SF has some pretty damn good CS.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2016 3:23:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For such a big company, SF has some pretty damn good CS.  
View Quote

My experience wasn't so hot, but ive heard others that did have good luck.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#11]
i'd contact them and ship it back. but have they been able to fix these problems?

i bought one early on and its been fine. only shot a few time with it but i do use it around the property pretty regularly too and so far, so good.

certainly not my favorite light though, i would not want to have to use it from waking up in the middle of the night all groggy and feeling for that stupid small "constant on" button. the momentary ON is nice though.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 11:19:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Hmm..  Never noticed this issue on mine but I rarely check it..  Now I'll have to check.   I keep it on  the bedroom gun.   I have a spare SF flashlight next to it though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:55:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Hmm I just put mine on my AR. If it can't stand up to a glock maybe I need to rethink this.

I might as well test it out while I have it on though, havent shot any rounds with mine on anything
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:08:08 AM EDT
[#14]
My best hypothesis for this would be because it has 2 switches with momentary on. Those momentary switches are going to draw a very small amount of power during standy by in order to activate the driver when depressed. I believe that the switch pcb or the driver has fault w/ Low Voltage Protection causing it to turn off standby power after X period of time in order to conserve battery life; unless the light was designed to hard shut down after X time, requiring a reset aka battery cap remove/install to re-activate the standby mode for the buttons. I doubt they would make their lights to do that though. Definitely some kind of glitch I would contact them about, I would hate to be stranded without a light that I needed to work at moments notice.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:50:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm thinking it might be corrosion on the battery cap.  Loosening it up or screwing, unscrewing it causes the corrosion to wear off a little and get OK contact for a few more weeks until it corrodes further... and repeat.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:08:46 AM EDT
[#16]
A couple weeks ago I noticed that my XC-1 would shut off after so many seconds.  
After a few times messing with it, I determined it was consistently doing that within 15 seconds.

I think proceeded to change out the batteries.. and from there on it would stay on without issues.

Based on that I'm assuming I'll run into that issue with low battery.. but it would suck really bad to determine that when I need this to work.  At least every time (when it was auto shutting off), it would consistently turn on and stay on for a few seconds.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top