Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2016 10:41:30 PM EDT
I'm looking to upgrade from my Solarforce L2P with Malkoff M61 drop-in. The light has been 100% reliable but I need something with a higher output. I have an Arisaka 1" light mount for my Centurion CMR which I want to continue using since I switch between a tactical type light (Malkoff M61) and a hunting light (more throw without much spill). I'm seriously considering going with an Elzetta Bravo with 650 lumen AVS head. I'm open to suggestions.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 3:47:55 AM EDT
[#1]
TLR-1 line does it for me (sans lasers).  Cheap and dependable.  Have 9 or 10 or some such...
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 7:34:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
TLR-1 line does it for me (sans lasers).  Cheap and dependable.  Have 9 or 10 or some such...
View Quote

TLR-1 is probably the best buy in weapon lights, size, integrated mount,switch(s),output, great price point, good construction from a reputable company.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 7:55:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Have you looked at the new Streamlight Protac rail mount lights?
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Leaning towards the TLR-1S, but I like the laser option of the TLR-4. Not sure it has enough lumens tho. Anyone have input on these two lights?
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Leaning towards the TLR-1S, but I like the laser option of the TLR-4. Not sure it has enough lumens tho. Anyone have input on these two lights?
View Quote

TLR - 1HL is an advertised 800 at the emitter,  plenty bright
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:32:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the TLR-1 HL but not on this gun.

I really would prefer to stay with a 1" light.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 2:13:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I've decided to go with an Elzetta Bravo. I've wanted one for a long time but didn't want to spend the money, which actually makes no since at all seeing as I have around $2k tied up in the above SBR
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#8]
You will not regret your choice. Not sure why people still pick Surefire over Elzetta...I've put mine up against one and to my eyes it was no contest. Beam color..spill...you name it. And modular...can't say that about Surefire. Or any other light I'm aware of. An outstanding product.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Dupe duppidy
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:03:20 AM EDT
[#10]
What about an upgraded drop-in, something like this... http://www.customlites.com/P60-Cree-XPL-Domeless-P60-XPL-DMLS.htm

Probably over 1000 lumen
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What about an upgraded drop-in, something like this... http://www.customlites.com/P60-Cree-XPL-Domeless-P60-XPL-DMLS.htm

Probably over 1000 lumen
View Quote

The issue with high output drop-in modules is that the runtime is horrible on primary CR123a batteries. I've talked to Customlites about a few of their offerings and was told to expect about a 25 minute runtime before the light shuts off. This is why Malkoff keeps his 2-cell modules around 325 lumens. Runtime is doubled when using 18650's but I prefer to use primaries in a weapon mounted light.

One thing that I really like about the Elzetta Bravo with AVS head is how tightly regulated the light is. Most lights on the market only produce full output for a few minutes before stepping down, which is how lights like the TLR-1 HL are able to advertise an 800 lumen output with 1.75 hour runtime. It WILL produce 800 lumens when first turned on but quickly steps down the output. The Elzetta Bravo with AVS head will produce ~95% advertised output for an hour on a pair primaries before dropping out of regulation with a slow taper in output for another 30+ minutes before dropping below 10% of the original output.

Link to full review http://flashlightguide.com/2013/10/review-elzetta-high-output-flashlights/
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:41:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Look into a SureFire with a TIR lens which gives you much more throw vs your Malkoff. I have a EB1 15/200 lumen light and it throws further than my M61 325 lumen 6P. Take a look at their IntellaBeam which automatically adjust the output from low to high depending on the distance of the object your trying to illuminate. If your planing to use NODs a M952V is a very good choice with both IR and white light built into the head.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Just got my Elzetta Bravo and wow, this thing is awesome The beam profile is great and it reduces suppressor shadow.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You will not regret your choice. Not sure why people still pick Surefire over Elzetta...I've put mine up against one and to my eyes it was no contest. Beam color..spill...you name it. And modular...can't say that about Surefire. Or any other light I'm aware of. An outstanding product.
View Quote

Surefire makes solid products. Several things stand out to me:

Surefire lights are sealed. This means that condensation is less likely behind the lens when changing environmental situation.
Surefire uses a CoC TIR which has superior physical properties to acrylic or polycarbonate.
Surefire has output comparable with other options.

Elzetta is better heatsinked and fully potted.
Elzetta is a small company and good people. I supported them back in the late 2000s back when I could call Gene Malkoff on his landline and talk to him and his wife before supper.

They are both good options.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:50:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I have SF, I have SL, I have SolarForce. They are all nice lights, and none of them have failed in time of need.

SolarForce (L2) are the cheapest, price. IMO, they stand right up there with Streamlight and Surefire.

Streamlight are cheap(er) than SF, and built tough. Several options, at big savings.

Surefire, they're nice. And expensive. I have several. Do I like SF? Sure I do.
The bad guy doesn't give a flip what brand of light you're blinding him with.

All the lights I mentioned previously, they work!

I spend my savings on ammo. Or whatever other things I may need.

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I've used a complete Solar Force  for my back up EDC for over a year and finally broke it. The tail cap spring broke at the solde joints. The joints itself where just spot soldered from the factory but with about 5 minutes of work it now is done the correct way all the way around the spring. I personally would never use it as a weapon light on a fighting rig, but for training or on a one way range is fine. Most StreamLights are now made in China, their quality seems to be on par with their US made units and seem to be holding up just fine. SureFire has a excellent warranty but trying to get someone to answer the phone or return a call when a message is left is very disappointing at best.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top