Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2016 1:01:25 AM EDT
Need suggestions for a laser that won't break the bank. It will be going on my M4 and M4A1 Block II rifles. They aren't exact clones, so it doesn't have to be the issued laser.

I was thinking about killing two birds with one stone and by mounting a Streetlight TLR-2G and be done with it. I haven't seen this done or ever recommended to my knowledge, though, and I am slightly hesitant. If anyone has tried it with either the Streetlight TLR-2 or the Surefire X400, I'd like to hear about the results in holding zero.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#1]
What is your budget for a stand alone laser?
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 4:14:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is your budget for a stand alone laser?
View Quote

Not really thinking about budget, I can afford just about whatever I want. I just don't want some heavy, brick of a LAM on my top or side rail, more importantly. I know I can get a pretty decent GI-type laser for what, $1500? I just wanted to integrate things a bit and save weight as much as possible. That's what I was hoping to get out of the TLR-2 setup.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have night vision or plan to buy it in the future?
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you have night vision or plan to buy it in the future?
View Quote

Not in the immediate future, whatever I get, if cheap enough, would serve as a stop-gap measure until I do get night vision. After stack some things a little deeper, I will then work on NV. As for now, its not needed.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 10:29:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like a X400 or TLR-2 is best for you then.  If you were planning far ahead to the eventual NV purchase, I'd suggest a Steiner DBAL A3.  It has IR illuminator, IR laser, and visible green laser all in one.  It would be future proof for you, but costs a pretty penny.

Other alternatives are a Steiner OTAL in red, or a Crimson Trace CMR-201.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:07:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Need suggestions for a laser that won't break the bank. It will be going on my M4 and M4A1 Block II rifles. They aren't exact clones, so it doesn't have to be the issued laser.

I was thinking about killing two birds with one stone and by mounting a Streetlight TLR-2G and be done with it. I haven't seen this done or ever recommended to my knowledge, though, and I am slightly hesitant. If anyone has tried it with either the Streetlight TLR-2 or the Surefire X400, I'd like to hear about the results in holding zero.

Any suggestions?
View Quote

streamlight has a tr2 ir for nvgs too.    but  $300 for the new stream light tlr2hl G on amazon  is what you want 720 lumens of good light lots of flood little less spot than I would like, an on off strobe feature and a green laser much smaller than anything offered by surefire the mount is integral so no extra $100 for a mount and the long gun kit is highly functional and only $40-$60

2 years ago I dumped all my surefire stuff and went to 100% stream light my a4 clone currently has the tlr2 Ir/IR thats an ir led & ir laser in one unit and a tlr-1HL in a 45 degree mount that is a whole lot of capability  in a very small package.

Next pay day I am getting my tlr-2HLG off amazon for my ps90.

here

if you get night vision

note the switch fits perfectly in the tango down ITT pocket. the tlr-1HL is on top in the 45degree mount 680 lumens

that is alot of capability in 2 lights for $600 not an otal for $1500 or the PEQ15 civi clone for $2700 neither come with the white light option.

on the 3:00 rail is the IR tlr-2 with the ir led & ir laser  the ir unit is fitted with the newer remote switch with a lock off setting to prevent leaving it on or accidental activation. the whole setup weighs under 1lbs and you can see the footprint is very small.  

Link Posted: 7/18/2016 11:56:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't waste too much money on a stand-alone VIS laser unit.  

Stacked pistol light/lasers will work, but you'll have a lot of offset.  

My advice is to just skip until you decide to get NV, which, BTW, you should do sooner than later if you have somewhere you can shoot with it.  Shooting in the daytime is lame.  

If you insist on a VIS laser, options like the OTAL exist as well, and aren't stacked like light/laser units.  Small rail mounted lasers aren't bad, though they won't be as rugged as the OTAL or a military-focused LAM.  I use a LaserMax UNI-IR on one of my rifles, LM has VIS models as well in green and black.  Crimson Trace also has a small rail-mounted laser that's decently well regarded and in the same class as the UNI.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 12:33:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I have had a Unimax red on my ps90 since 2007it is a much better unit than the rail master

you minimize offset by keeping the laser inline with the bore a 45 degree moun twill give you a devil of an offset & never use the 6:00 rail for a laser on a KAC RIS the 6:00 is not a repeatable mount & on others it is more prone to getting bashed or blocked by a rest.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:42:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks fellas, especially for the pictures. That helped me see in real life what I was visualizing.

Augee....which Crimson Trace laser are you referring to? I've only seen their "Rail Master", which looked sort of lame to put on a rifle. I am sure it works, though. CT has never let me down.

I may start out with a used TLR-2 if I can find one. Just to get my feet wet and I can go from there, if the bank account holds out....I am busy building rifles, but I am at 6 AR's alone now, so I am slowing down. Still need order a Mk18 10.5" from Specialized Armament, and that will just about cover it. I've given up on ever finding the KAC gas block/front sight, which is the last part I need for my much-wanted SAM-R build, so it will probably turn into a Mk12 Mod1.....damn how I want a SAM-R! It's like the grand-daddy of unicorns for my collection. Maybe one day someone will tire of theirs and it will pop up on the EE just as I log on....

Thanks again. I'll try to remember to update this thread when I finally do get my light/laser situated.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:25:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I believe sugee is refering to this not a CT UNIT

the lasrermax unimax red is a strobing red dot about the size of a match box.  I have had one since 2007 on my ps90.

they are tiny the  batteries are very hard to change and it has no auto shutoff. they are also not fully waterproofed.  they are made in IR red & green.

but they are much much better than the crimson trace rail master series.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Look into a debal-I², Green and IR laser only, (no illuminator). I use a surefire or weapons light for the illuminator, about ~1/2 the price of the DEBAL A3. Just a suggestion.

" />
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top