Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2016 6:16:58 PM EDT
Finishing a lightweight 8" 300blk. Clueless about lights. Will be used for truck and home defense and late night barnyard intruders.

Point me in the right direction? Don't want to spend a ton will probably look to EE.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#1]
FDE would be nice
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Streamlight TLR-1 HL. They come in FDE and black and run about $150.... you dot have alot of real estate on the rifle, so this is a good option. Mount it at 12 o clock.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:57:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Price range?

My personal suggestion would be a SF X300U.  If that's too expensive for your tastes, a Streamlight TLR-1 should do the trick.

ETA:  Missed your FDE post.  The TLR-1HL can be had in FDE.  I don't think SF manufactures the X300U in tan/FDE anymore.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Streamlight TLR-1 HL. They come in FDE and black and run about $150.... you dot have alot of real estate on the rifle, so this is a good option. Mount it at 12 o clock.  
View Quote

Very little real estate. 7" m-loc. Came with a couple small picatiny bolt ons can I put it at 3:00 or 9:00 with one of those?

Now to find one used.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Very little real estate. 7" m-loc. Came with a couple small picatiny bolt ons can I put it at 3:00 or 9:00 with one of those?

Now to find one used.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Now to find one used.

I'm sure you could put it @ 3 or 9; idk if the comfort and operation will work in those configurations as well.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:21:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I suggest a M300 scout, I have a 8" KMR-A rail, so I know about how space can be precious. I got an offset mount that attaches at the 9 o'clock position, but puts the light in a 11 o'clock position and as far forward as I could. This puts it forward enough to not take up rail space I need for my support hand as well as having very minimal barrel shadow, but back enough that any shot residue can be taken care of with a clear lens filter (easier to clean, protection for my lens, and better to replace a filter than whole LED head).

I built my 300blk for HD, being light, compact, and sleek (very little to snag on things) was my goal. I have a 9" barrel with the previously mentioned 8" KMR-A. With a short rail, if you run back-up sights like I do (T2 batteries can, and will fail) then having as much sight radius is worth not mounting at the 12 o'clock.  If you want a FDE M300 mini, Surefire had them in the online store recently and I'm sure you can find a used one somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:04:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I believe that the Inforce WMLx is also available in FDE. Other options not already mentioned include the Streamlight Protac Rail Mount and Arisaka defense - if you don't mind some assembly, but both of those will require getting the light recoated in FDE.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:23:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I believe that the Inforce WMLx is also available in FDE. Other options not already mentioned include the Streamlight Protac Rail Mount and Arisaka defense - if you don't mind some assembly, but both of those will require getting the light recoated in FDE.
View Quote

Fuck the WML series lights.  Biggest hunks of shit ever.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:32:17 AM EDT
[#9]
What about this light in the EE. Seems like a Frankenstein but might be what I'm looking for???? It's not FDE but that's not a huge deal. Is this a good light? Is the price right?
Thanks

EE Light
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:27:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What about this light in the EE. Seems like a Frankenstein but might be what I'm looking for???? It's not FDE but that's not a huge deal. Is this a good light? Is the price right?
Thanks

EE Light
View Quote

Essentially, that is what I am talking about right there. While not a true Surefire that does not matter as others have had no issues that I am aware of. My only concern with that mount would be if you put it at the 11 o'clock and ran a front sight, some might not have an issue but that would be too close for a Magpul MBUS.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:00:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Essentially, that is what I am talking about right there. While not a true Surefire that does not matter as others have had no issues that I am aware of. My only concern with that mount would be if you put it at the 11 o'clock and ran a front sight, some might not have an issue but that would be too close for a Magpul MBUS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks

EE Light

I plan to run a red dot and possibly some Troy flip bius would they fit? I was leaning toward Troy micros but haven't seen them in real life a little worried about them being too small to function.
What is this malkoff head? Do they make stuff for surefire? Is it comparable to surefire?
Is the price decent on this used light?? What should I offer?
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:41:34 AM EDT
[#12]
My only concern with that mount would be if you put it at the 11 o'clock and ran a front sight, some might not have an issue but that would be too close for a Magpul MBUS.

"1. Top left 45 degree flat: Most sights work, including MBUS Pro, Knight's Armament Micro, Troy folding, and Diamondhead. MBUS Gen II work if positioned to allow clearance for the release tab."
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:13:43 AM EDT
[#13]
THIS LIGHT

THIS MOUNT

/THREAD

Its what I run on my 10.5" bump in the night gun.

ETA:

" />
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks

EE Light

So I guess my question is... Am I going to like the used frankenstien more than a streamline TLR-1 HL? I can get a FDE streamline and bolt it on to the bottom rail and be done and it will match for $25 less. I can probably get frankenstein down $25.   I guess If I don't like the TLR-1 HL I can put it on a M&P.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I plan to run a red dot and possibly some Troy flip bius would they fit? I was leaning toward Troy micros but haven't seen them in real life a little worried about them being too small to function.
What is this malkoff head? Do they make stuff for surefire? Is it comparable to surefire?
Is the price decent on this used light?? What should I offer?
View Quote

I can not comment on those Troy sights, as I have no experience with them (someone with experience, please chime in on those sights). What red dot are you planning on running? I have not hear any negative things about the Malkoff heads, or Arisaka products, but I stick with Surefire products (just a personal preference). Is the asking price decent? That would depend on you more so. A brand new head is $106 from the manufacturer, $59 for the body (again per manufacturer's website), and I can't find that tailcap on Surefire's website currently (could just be out of stock too). So considering that it MIGHT come with a battery, if it wasn't very old/used then yes it would be a decent price for a new-ish light.

Quoted:
My only concern with that mount would be if you put it at the 11 o'clock and ran a front sight, some might not have an issue but that would be too close for a Magpul MBUS.

"1. Top left 45 degree flat: Most sights work, including MBUS Pro, Knight's Armament Micro, Troy folding, and Diamondhead. MBUS Gen II work if positioned to allow clearance for the release tab."
View Quote

It is that tab on the side of the Gen2 MBUS that I brought up the clearance issue. Another option would be a HSP backbone (another scout copy) due to the dual mounting holes on the feet of the body. If I am seeing this right, the MBUS Pro wouldn't have the clearance issue (also a nice video to get points to think about): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcGvNh2uDlg
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#16]
What about this surefire it's pretty much what I'm looking for yeah?

EE
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Either weapon-light will be fine, it is the mount and front sight that MAY have an issue if it has a wide body like the MBUS Gen2.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Width clearance:

Top view:

Hand placement:
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/13254829_10156931682205506_2317764907414219823_o.jpg

Hand placement, momentary light activation:

I tried my best, but considering I had to attach my vertical grip for a few pictures I had to use the upper only (waiting on stamp to get a rifle lower, instead of a pistol lower and no front grip) they turned out ok.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top