Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2016 10:49:57 PM EDT
Putting my Surefire X300U-B on my AR using a BCM keymod offset mount to sit it at the 10:30pm position. Thinking about grabbing the XT07 Pressure pad and sitting it on the other side of my rail at the 3pm position. I am trying to determine if the wire is able to handle the heat of the barrel if I fished it through my rail from one side to other, making sure it never contacts the barrel directly.

Anybody got any input?

thanks
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:04:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I've done it with a remote cable switch for the ATPIAL.  I was careful to zip tie the cable to the inside circumference of the hand guard ( DD Omega) and went under the barrel to avoid the gas tube. I did a rapid mag dump, which I'd probably never do with that particular rifle ( 12" 6.8 ), and the cable seemed fine. Not sure your particular set up or rifle uses, but I'd figure that if your bare hand can withstand the heat of the hand guard the wire should be fine too, so that may be a good litmus test to perform before running the cable through.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 2:53:07 AM EDT
[#2]
If your worried about it, Mr. Gasket makes a black thermal electrical wire heat shielding tube, that you could cut, and attach to the inside of your hand guard with zip ties.   It has an adjustable ID from 1/4'' to 7/16'', It's continuous temp rating is 1200 degrees F.... 2000 degrees F max.  It's expensive, but cheaper then replacing a Surefire remote.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mr-Gasket/720/6326K/10002/-1
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#3]
While I've seen people do it, I personally wouldn't.  Depending on how long your rail/barrel/gas system is and where on the rail you're mounting the light/switch, you may also have to avoid the gas block and gas tube.

There are many other ways to run the wire.  My favorite is to run the wire over the 12 o'clock rail, use some of the Larue Index Clips w/ the wire clamps to secure it (this part is optional), then throw a layer of McNett Camo Form around the handguards to prevent the wire from snagging on anything.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Larue index clips are on sale for half price. Go through the pictures and you will see some that are used to manage the wire.

http://www.larue.com/indexclips-72-piece-set

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 9:56:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 11:23:36 PM EDT
[#6]
mine is mounted on my rail where the wire is real close to the gas block. i have never had an issue. carry on.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top