Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2016 8:14:43 AM EDT
Currently running my light in the 10-11 o'clock position but wondering if it would be better on the right side to lessen the "pivot point" when using barricades and vehicle hoods?
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:22:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I put my light at the 3 o clock just because I have a quad rail; If I had the option it would be at 2.   I like having as much space as possible on the left side to grip out as far as I can on the 12" rail, and to get as close as possible to cover.  Having it on the left just kind of gets in the way.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:22:48 AM EDT
[#2]
If your right handed won't putting it on the right cause you to expose yourself more when shooting to your right side? On the left side the gun your still pretty protected,
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:44:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If your right handed won't putting it on the right cause you to expose yourself more when shooting to your right side? On the left side the gun your still pretty protected,
View Quote

How do you figure?  If it's on the left side of the weapon, it'll act as a spacer between the gun and the barricade, pushing you farther out from it.  Putting it on the right will let you get rail-to-cover and snug up tighter.  Plus, Having it on the right side would enable you to still use the light rather than bounce off the barricade.  All assuming you're shooting right handed on the right of cover, but still.  If that's your primary plan then plan for it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:47:47 AM EDT
[#4]
double post
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:48:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Since I'm a righty and don't run a pressure switch, it stays on the left side. If I were running a remote switch though, I'd mount it on the right side.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:49:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Since I'm a righty and don't run a pressure switch, it stays on the left side. If I were running a remote switch though, I'd mount it on the right side.

http://s32.postimg.org/a029s9zrp/image.jpg
View Quote

Good point.  This kind of dictates it for you.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:53:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I run all of mine at the 10 oclock-ish position.  Not troubles with it.  I really don't like pressure switches so this works for me.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:31:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. I am right handed.

I have 1 rifle with a WMLx. It is mounted at the 10-11 o'clock position so I can activate it with my left hand.

On another rifle I am running the RM1 with a pressure switch.  I have the pressure switch on the top rail and the light at the 1-2 o'clock position.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:46:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Let me add one variable to this equation..

My rifle has 45 degree offset BUIS at the one o'clock position.  I need to mount my Protac RM 2 and I will use the pressure switch.  I would prefer it on the right side - but my BUIS  are in the way.  That leaves me ten o'clock or what about on the bottom?  say around five o'clock.  What are the cons with a light mounted below the barrel.  Is shadowing that bad?
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 1:03:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Currently running my light in the 10-11 o'clock position but wondering if it would be better on the right side to lessen the "pivot point" when using barricades and vehicle hoods?
View Quote

I'm left handed, so I prefer lights at 1.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#11]
For the guys that are righty and run their lights at 10-11. Do you have any trouble say with shooting with the rifle laying flat, ejection port up, on a barricade or vehicle hood?
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:07:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Let me add one variable to this equation..

My rifle has 45 degree offset BUIS at the one o'clock position.  I need to mount my Protac RM 2 and I will use the pressure switch.  I would prefer it on the right side - but my BUIS  are in the way.  That leaves me ten o'clock or what about on the bottom?  say around five o'clock.  What are the cons with a light mounted below the barrel.  Is shadowing that bad?
View Quote

How far forward of the rail is your muzzle? I have a 9" barrel (add on BCM Mod 1 Comp) with a 8" rail and so my light pretty much sits at muzzle length (a reason why I also put a clear cover over it) so my shadow is minuscule. If it was say a 7" rail on 16" barrel the shadow would be worse, but could it still be useful? That is up to you. The thing about mounting lights on the sides is not a cover blocking light issue, as you can just lean/compensate more for it, but more of if you have it mounted on the left (for example) and on a left barricade you expose more of yourself than if it was mounted on the other side. That is why some have taken up mounting a pistol type on the 12 o'clock in front of the front sight.

Frankly, we can tell you all day long what works, and then find a situation where it won't. Your best bet is mount it, try it, adjust until "it feels right" for you.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I run two different ones at the 1 o'clock and two at the 3 o'clock as the DBAL laser gets in the way from an offset option.  I like the right side to keep from banging me if at the 9 or 11 positions.

To Note: I do run a tape switch at the 12 o'clock though.  I find the 11 o'clock easier to manage when using a tail cap thumb push than a 1 o'clock (right handed shooter, left arm extended).
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:22:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Frankly, we can tell you all day long what works, and then find a situation where it won't. Your best bet is mount it, try it, adjust until "it feels right" for you.
View Quote

Great point!   Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#15]

12oclocks the only way to roll
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 12:53:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I run all of mine at the 10 oclock-ish position.  Not troubles with it.  I really don't like pressure switches so this works for me.
View Quote

Yep, this.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:30:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

What he said, in that position.

This is the easiest thing ever to test, get some zipties, a light, a gun, and go clear your house at 2am with a couple of configs, and piss off your wife. :)

Tight at 10 or 11 and forward as I can manage is the tits for me thus far.  Probly opposite if I was LHD.

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:44:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I run my Surefire M300 in the 11 o clock position on an IWC Thorntail SBR mount.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:35:45 AM EDT
[#19]
12 o'clock is the best o'clock.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Run 2 o'clock. Easy to operate tail switch with my thumb.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 8:45:29 PM EDT
[#21]
12 O' Clock for me is ideal, 10 is my backup position.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 8:55:22 PM EDT
[#22]
NVM. Too hard to host, copy, paste, etc. on a phone. 12 o'clock is what works for me.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 8:57:39 PM EDT
[#23]
TLR-1 switch works best at 11 O'Clock for a righty so that's where mine are.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top