Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2016 3:01:25 AM EDT
I have a surefire light that needs a new bulb. I was considering getting an LED conversion for its P60 style bulb but I get the feeling that the cree style bulbs for $7-20 are probably crap. Are there good options available or should I just stick with the factory incandescent?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:50:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Stay away from the $20 and below Chinese drop-ins.  Get a Malkoff, the Malkoff P61 is on sale right now for $39 and its 325 real lumens.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:36:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I have bought a couple chinese drop ins and they are ok, but usually the tint on them is very cool white, and they don't exactly exude quality.  Much happier with the Malkoff stuff.  Plus they make their parts here in the US so it's better.  Plus I do believe you have some tint options with them (Warm, Neutral, and Cool white) which is very nice.  With China, as with all things from there, its a crap shoot.  Spend a little more and know that you are buying quality and never really worry about it again.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a surefire light that needs a new bulb. I was considering getting an LED conversion for its P60 style bulb but I get the feeling that the cree style bulbs for $7-20 are probably crap. Are there good options available or should I just stick with the factory incandescent?
View Quote

Is this going on a weapon?

P60 dropins from CustomLites are good to go. You choose your emitter, modes and reflector. Wrap the module in copper tape or tin foil and you're set. Malkoffs are also a good choice.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:14:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Malkoff, as stated above. I'll be outfitting the rest of my lights with them eventually.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:53:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I have Malkoff in VME head and Lumensfactory warm in Z2.
Lumensfactory fits Z2 better than Malkoff.
VME head fits Malkoff perfect for use in E2..
Warm tints are much easier on the eyes and give better color rendition though not as much lumen output given the same driver.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Malkoff P61
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:49:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Malkoff M61, or a Nailbender drop in from Customlites are two good options. I think M61's are on sale right now.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:34:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had my P60 since 1996 or so. I replaced the original with Surefires LED lamp and in the last couple years replaced that with a Malkoff after having in recommended to me. It is a great lamp and really brightened up the old P60
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:40:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Which P60 or P61 Malkoff do you guys like most? I see there are some medium power options that will run for 5+ hours off a set of batteries and of course the high power one that will illuminate up to 300 feet. I'm sure most buy the later. There are also a slew of ones in between. I may just get the most power full one but I am kind of worried that it will be so bright that when I turn it on in the house at night I'll blind myself from the back wash off the walls.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:41:29 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a few of the warm tint Malkoffs I bought years ago. I run them in old G2s that reside in my bug out bags and keep on in my AR travel bag. I like the warm tint, wish they could get a few more lumens with warm tint...
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:11:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Which P60 or P61 Malkoff do you guys like most? I see there are some medium power options that will run for 5+ hours off a set of batteries and of course the high power one that will illuminate up to 300 feet. I'm sure most buy the later. There are also a slew of ones in between. I may just get the most power full one but I am kind of worried that it will be so bright that when I turn it on in the house at night I'll blind myself from the back wash off the walls.
View Quote

Run time is often more important to me than output. My favorite flashlight is the L4 which last generation before extinction was 170lm flood at 5.5hrs.

I like the M61L at 175lm for 5 plus hours. That is a lot of light especially for your home. It also makes a good utility light.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 1:59:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 3:57:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Run time is often more important to me than output. My favorite flashlight is the L4 which last generation before extinction was 170lm flood at 5.5hrs.

I like the M61L at 175lm for 5 plus hours. That is a lot of light especially for your home. It also makes a good utility light.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This guy knows what he is talking about as long as output is at 150+ runtime should be a better priority.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 6:03:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I have 3 Surefire M96xx series and a couple 2 cell as well. Would like to breathe new life in to the old icans.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 6:55:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Looks like an awesome upgrade for a duty, weapon, or general use light but  . . . why the hell are the Scout upgrades so damned expensive?!?!

Gotta pay to play I guess.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:26:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Looks like an awesome upgrade for a duty, weapon, or general use light but  . . . why the hell are the Scout upgrades so damned expensive?!?!

Gotta pay to play I guess.
View Quote

Electronics are in the head. You can lego together a flashlight with parts that are series compatible. Surefire has gotten away with this somewhat with their recent lineup but it is still possible with the E Series / Scout lights.

Add in brand reputation and Made in USA quality and there you have it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:15:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Malkoff!
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:44:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I ASSUME that everyone realizes that ALL LED's are manufactured in China.

I started out using Malkoff "pills" but after visiting candlepowerforums.com, I found much brighter options.

Cree produces some of the finest LED's available and is on the cutting edge of development. And in all probability Malkoff uses their LED's.

There are MUCH brighter options available for P60 drop in "pills" from custom builders. In addition the quality of some of the custom units is over the top, I have a custom "pill" that is machined from solid copper (for heat management) and outputs over 4,000 Lumens from four LED's. Is it practical? Probably not, but it does prove what can be achieved. It requires a finned head, a bored body (for 18650 batteries), and a switch that can handle the increased amp draw.
View Quote

Which builder are you using? I'm looking for somebody that can make an IR dropin for an old handheld, but I don't know the first thing about custom flashlights, other than "go to candlepowered."
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 11:24:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top