Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/28/2015 12:14:11 AM EDT
What recommendations do you all have for a good single cell (probably CR123, I'm guessing) weapon light for mounting to AR, AR pistol, and AK? I'd like a tail clicky. Usage will be for walking dogs at night where I have a lot of mountain lions on my property occasionally. I'd like a mix of spill and throw, and probably don't need the light out past 100m.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:24:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been very impressed with Elzetta/IWC's Mini-CQB light.  better build quality than my Surefire's but I only have them on my short barreled guns (8" 300 blackout, P90, 10" 556 SBR).  It's great for what it was designed for which is CQB.  I still have several Surefire M600P/U's on my other rifles for longer range target ID.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:49:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Different battery but the TLR3 is a pretty good light.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:21:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I just got my Surefire M300 Mini Scout in, I've used the M600U scouts before (military service rifle). I recommend Surefire.

Something you might consider, and will apply more for the tactical world, what filters are available for it? If you have NOD's and hunt hog at night, Surefire (for example, since again, it is what I've used) has an IR filter that you can attach with a QD mount and can flip between IR/White light while still attached. What accessories are important to you? Availability of spare parts? Just somethings to consider.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:54:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been very impressed with Elzetta/IWC's Mini-CQB light.  better build quality than my Surefire's but I only have them on my short barreled guns (8" 300 blackout, P90, 10" 556 SBR).  It's great for what it was designed for which is CQB.  I still have several Surefire M600P/U's on my other rifles for longer range target ID.
View Quote

This is intriguing, but I would need an extended length mount in order to use it on the rail with my hand placement.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:55:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a TLR3 on one of my pistols, I'm really underwhelmed by it. Not bright enough, and the switch paddle is very chincy compared to my TLR1-HL's.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:55:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just got my Surefire M300 Mini Scout in, I've used the M600U scouts before (military service rifle). I recommend Surefire.

Something you might consider, and will apply more for the tactical world, what filters are available for it? If you have NOD's and hunt hog at night, Surefire (for example, since again, it is what I've used) has an IR filter that you can attach with a QD mount and can flip between IR/White light while still attached. What accessories are important to you? Availability of spare parts? Just somethings to consider.
View Quote

I'll have to look into these. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just as a heads up, you can't use any filters on the newer LED lights.  IIRC, the LEDs barely put out any light in the IR spectrum, so filters won't work like they did with the older incandescent units.

If you need IR, stick to the "V" series SF lights.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:38:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Just as a heads up, you can't use any filters on the newer LED lights.  IIRC, the LEDs barely put out any light in the IR spectrum, so filters won't work like they did with the older incandescent units.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll have to look at our M600U units next time I'm at the armory and see which type they are. Though I just looked at Surefire's website, the V-series has 2 LED's (which makes sense if you don't have an IR lens), so it would be interesting to test that theory. I have no use for IR outside of the military and I'd go more for a red lens (less harsh on the eyes than straight white light, just as easy for me to see things).

ETA: Just saw this on Surefire's website under the filters:
"NOTE: Infrared filters are not useful with white-light LEDs (light emitting diodes), which produce negligible infrared radiation"

So it is interesting that they use an IR LED with the V-series lights?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:15:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have a TLR3 on one of my pistols, I'm really underwhelmed by it. Not bright enough, and the switch paddle is very chincy compared to my TLR1-HL's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The TLR-1s HL are on sale for $104 at Amazon.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:55:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, I've bought two already off Amazon in the last few days. I'm looking for a tube-style light to mount in a cantilever mount for an application that the TLR1-HL won't work.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top