Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2015 6:38:36 PM EDT
Looking for a green laser for my short barrel rifle. 50 ft ability at least. Don't want to pay a kidney though. Suggestions? Weight is a concern too though.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 8:11:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Crimson Trace Railmaster. Almost everything else is junk.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 10:39:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't know if it's junk yet or not, but did see the spot at 100yds through a 12x scope in full 3pm sunlight on white paper. Went to tweak it to the crosshairs and found I'd forgotten to tighten it down, and hadn't brought the metric allens to deal with it. Bought it on Amazon for $22 so if it is junk I'm not sweating it... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CK3UCAI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

If it won't hold zero at least the cats will run after it!

Comes with end cap and remote squeeze switches, shotgun barrel mount (I think) and Pic rail mount. Shot 100 rds today and it didn't break.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. Reviews look good to. Looks like its from china.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I STRONGLY suggest you read my post on this thread on the dangers of Chinese Green Lasers unless you really like the idea of a white cane.

LINK
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#5]
How about a Streamlight TLR-2 HL G? A good light is much more useful IMO and with a direct drive green laser there are none of the worries about IR leakage.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 8:37:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I STRONGLY suggest you read my post on this thread on the dangers of Chinese Green Lasers unless you really like the idea of a white cane.

LINK
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up. Think I will go red. Already have a flash light on my rifle now.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 4:09:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Typically the same maker will charge 2 to 3 times more for a green laser than red, if cost is a factor a quality red will serve you better than a cheap green import. And the linked thread above has truth to it, any laser that's not properly filtered is a hazard to your eyes. If imports aren't required to meet the same standards as US makers I'll steer clear of them as well.

A good red laser will also have at least twice the battery run times vs green as well.

I have a green laser on a pistol, as a training aid it's great, but too bright for any serious work, range use only. Laser dots work great on flat surfaces like paper targets & walls but shine that same laser on an irregular surface like a dark fleece blanket and it loses a lot of it's brightness.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
The DPSS crystals, and the IR pump diode, it's just that many more parts to keep aligned under recoil and that's what makes a good firearms quality one so expensive.

Also, even 5mW of green is so bright at night (not actually brighter, but our eyes are approximately 20x more sensitive to green/yellow than red) you can see the beam in the air off of ambient dust and water vapor. And that beam points right back to you too, giving away your position.
View Quote

Agreed, I stargaze and several of my star nerd friends have high output green laser pointers they use when they're teaching novices about the sky, those green laser beams against a dark sky can point directly to a specific star and look like they're visible for a mile or more. Even indoors in bright lighing & low dust/low moisture conditions that green beam stands out like a lightsaber. Everyone at my indoor range knows how unsteady my hands are when that beam comes on.  
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top