Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2015 10:39:36 AM EDT
Primary Arms has these for sale for $29. I know it saw back up light but do you think it will be good enough for a primary light? Currently I have no light....
Link
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:42:54 AM EDT
[#1]
It says it puts out 10 lumens.

No way should you use that as a primary light. Unless that's a typo, and even 100 lumens is on the low side.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:45:33 AM EDT
[#2]
well my other option was a surefire g2 and that's only a 65 lumens light and plenty of people run those as the primary
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:06:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe its 10/20 lumens.    its a backup light or a  " discrete navigation" light source.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe its 10/20 lumens.    its a backup light or a  " discrete discreet navigation" light source.
View Quote

This (and FIFY). I use 'em, I like 'em.
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Primary arms has them on sale for $29 right now... I guess I'll find out how they are.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:00:11 AM EDT
[#6]
It's not a primary optic, and should not be used as one.  Get a legitimate light on your rifle.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:26:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's not a primary optic, and should not be used as one.  Get a legitimate light on your rifle.
View Quote

I agree, it's not an optic.
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#8]
The local Walmart has these on clearance for $25 and I'm thinking about trying one as a nav light on my X300 equipped carbine.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#9]
this is for backup, should not be primary at all!
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:10:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The local Walmart has these on clearance for $25 and I'm thinking about trying one as a nav light on my X300 equipped carbine.
View Quote

I run these as nav lights with my m300 mini scouts on my rifles.  Wish my walmart had them at that price, I could use a few more.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:21:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
well my other option was a surefire g2 and that's only a 65 lumens light and plenty of people run those as the primary
View Quote

Sure, back in 2007.  You can find SF G2X Tactical's for around $50-$60 and they have 320 lumens.  Don't be a cheapskate trying to save $30 if you're going to actually push this rifle into a defensive role.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 6:59:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I just got one and I like it a lot. Plenty bright for my main requirement (home defense).

I got the two white light model though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 2:08:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought one and dont care for it. Look at yourself in the mirror, it is one hell of a shoot me now beacon visible much further than it illuminates. You will want to keep it pointed down but your barrel has to follow and it will still reflect from it and throw a shadow. The button sucks, ok with a fingertip but forget mounting where you might want to use a knuckle, for example in front of a vfg. This kind of light should have a mechanical or direct control switch. Low hi off or low wait... off for red. Hold it down for two seconds for the white light-which turns red on or off while you wait.  It will keep you from tripping on stuff and it weighs nothing so its not a bad tool if you have spare rail and understand its drawbacks. Illumination level is good for what it is.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 4:48:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I bought one and dont care for it. Look at yourself in the mirror, it is one hell of a shoot me now beacon visible much further than it illuminates. You will want to keep it pointed down but your barrel has to follow and it will still reflect from it and throw a shadow. The button sucks, ok with a fingertip but forget mounting where you might want to use a knuckle, for example in front of a vfg. This kind of light should have a mechanical or direct control switch. Low hi off or low wait... off for red. Hold it down for two seconds for the white light-which turns red on or off while you wait.  It will keep you from tripping on stuff and it weighs nothing so its not a bad tool if you have spare rail and understand its drawbacks. Illumination level is good for what it is.
View Quote

Any light, regardless of illumination level, will broadcast your position farther than it illuminates. However, while I agree that I'd prefer a better control interface, it provides the minimum level needed for safe navigation w/o ruining your night vision. Due to the MFT's slightly angled lens, mounting it on the bottom of the hand guard angles the beam downward so your bbl doesn't need to be lowered as much as when mounted at other locations.
Tomac
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 1:48:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I know, its just such a brilliant spot of light. If it could be angled downward and shaded enough to hide the source from visibility to the front it would be 100% better. Im tempted to tape it to the sling.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 2:58:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Would not FO
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top