Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2015 12:36:49 AM EDT
I have been doing a lot of research on L-3 Insight lights such as the WMX200 and also their HX200/150 handheld series lights.
My one question would be, why are these lights so overlooked by many weapon light users?
They seem to be rugged and waterproof. Is it the lack of lumens they produce?
Is it the strobe feature that people dislike about them?

Just curious here.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:17:22 AM EDT
[#1]
They're good quality, just super expensive. Overall Surefire is probably a better option. Insight incandescents are low powered and expensive but in use by the military, the WMX is a nice step up (replaced the M3X for SOCOM) but just super expensive. ($500)

I'd say price is the main reason
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:50:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They're good quality, just super expensive. Overall Surefire is probably a better option. Insight incandescents are low powered and expensive but in use by the milotary, the WMX is a nice step up (replaced the M3X for SOCOM) but just super expensive. ($500)

View Quote

Price and availability.  Insight has now discontinued commercial sales of the WMX200 (unsure on the handhelds).  Even before they discontinued sales, most retailers didn't carry them, so they didn't have near as much exposure.

FWIW, outside of use with an ATPIAL (or other IR LAM with an IR illuminator), there are better options than the WMX.  With an ATPIAL, however, it really is a perfect match.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:23:12 AM EDT
[#3]
So, in that case, I am thinking about getting the Surefire EB1 desert tan color light which is the closest to the specs as the Insight WMX200 light.
The Surefire EB1 has 200 lumens on High and 5 lumens on Low and so does the WMX200. Same light output modes.
I don't need the IR anyways.

So would you guys think that the Surefire EB1 would be the closest as far as specs go to the WMX200?

I just really love the Insight WMX200, but it is pricey....Just looks just perfect in size and waterproof to about 66 feet.
Maybe some day....If there still around
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#4]
One thing about insight is that they do not support any discontinued models. I have a M3 and M3X and they don't sell bulbs or any parts or do any repair on them.
Streamlight is the same way.

Surefire, from what others have said, will repair ancient mil.surp. lights for free.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:23:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Would you say that the Surefire EB1 light would be the closest to the Insight WMX200 light as far as specs go?
http://www.surefire.com/eb1-backup.html

Features of Insight Tech WMX200 Weapon Light:
•Visible 5 & 200 Lumen Output on Visible Light

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:17:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Price and availability.  Insight has now discontinued commercial sales of the WMX200 (unsure on the handhelds).  Even before they discontinued sales, most retailers didn't carry them, so they didn't have near as much exposure.

FWIW, outside of use with an ATPIAL (or other IR LAM with an IR illuminator), there are better options than the WMX.  With an ATPIAL, however, it really is a perfect match.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They're good quality, just super expensive. Overall Surefire is probably a better option. Insight incandescents are low powered and expensive but in use by the milotary, the WMX is a nice step up (replaced the M3X for SOCOM) but just super expensive. ($500)

Very true Jeffro. Those WMX's don't show up very often anymore since whatever happened with Optics Planet. I've seen a couple on the EE since then used, at full retail. I remember Augee explaining how well the WMX works in conjunction with with the Insight LAM's, in his holy opinion being the best option there is to pair with one.

So it may be worth it to track one down in that case, and chances are if you can afford an ATPIAL-C or a PEQ-15, then you can afford a WMX200.

If not, I think I'd pick up one of the high end Surefire's based on what meets your needs.

PS- you can still find M3X's, I tend to see more of the LED version for sale than the incandescent.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I think that the Surefire EB1 Backup light is the closest to the WMX200 in terms of light output, except for the strobe and the IR modes.
Would you guys think so that this is true or not?

If yes, then I will get the EB1 light instead.

$600 for a WMX200. Yeah....that's very steep in price. And that's because of the IR mode built-in. That's why I think there so expensive because of the high IR output which is 45mW.
In other words, your paying for the IR mode. That's all.
But anyways, I think there great lights. Period.

The Surefire EB1 light looks pretty similar but of course smaller in size than the WMX200. Same output light modes except no IR and strobe.
Would you think its close enough to the WMX200?

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:35:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I think that the Surefire EB1 Backup light is the closest to the WMX200 in terms of light output, except for the strobe and the IR modes.
Would you guys think so that this is true or not?

If yes, then I will get the EB1 light instead.

$600 for a WMX200. Yeah....that's very steep in price. And that's because of the IR mode built-in. That's why I think there so expensive because of the high IR output which is 45mW.
In other words, your paying for the IR mode. That's all.
But anyways, I think there great lights. Period.

The Surefire EB1 light looks pretty similar but of course smaller in size than the WMX200. Same output light modes except no IR and strobe.
Would you think its close enough to the WMX200?

View Quote

Quite honestly, I'd probably be aiming higher than 200 lumens if you're not worried about the IR function.  That's the downside of most "dual output" lights, they are limited in the available white light output (SF "DO" lights are 150 lumens with a decent throw, while the WMX200  is 200 lumens with quite a bit of spill, but not a lot of throw).  If all you want is a white light, your options are near infinite.  What is your intended use for the light?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:37:59 AM EDT
[#9]
You see, I just want something that is similar to the WMX200 light but in a handheld version. That's all.

Because I just like the WMX200. Plain and simple. Never owned one before, but I just like the way it looks. And to be honest, 200 lumens would be the sweet spot for me. I usually don't go hiking or on a camping trail during the dark were a good throw is usually required. I only need a light during a black out or for room clearing situations.. So I figured, that the Surefire EB1 would be the best with a click type switch. Puts out 200 lumens high. That's all I need. Nothing too strong or bright.

Think that the EB1 would be the closest to the WMX200 but with more throw probably since it does have a TIR lens.
The WMX200 does not have TIR and therefore would give the beam more spill.

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top