Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2015 6:49:11 PM EDT
I am looking at a new light for a 16" AR15.  So a medium range AR.  Looking for a light that has decent spill, but also good throw.

Looking at the Surefire M600 series, either the Ultra or Fury model.  They are roughly $250 new.  I can't find any used ones.

I see some used X300s going for sub $200, which makes it very attractive.

They are both rated around 500 lumens.  The Fury has 600 lumen output, but a much wider spill.  So the question becomes which do I go with?  I'd prefer the M600P, but rather not pay full price for a brand new light.  I already have a M300B and just recently switched the heads for a Malkoff E1 head for better spill on my SBR.

Based on pictures the X300 doesn't look anywhere near as bright as the M600 U or P series.  Recommendations? Thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am looking at a new light for a 16" AR15.  So a medium range AR.  Looking for a light that has decent spill, but also good throw.

Looking at the Surefire M600 series, either the Ultra or Fury model.  They are roughly $250 new.  I can't find any used ones.

I see some used X300s going for sub $200, which makes it very attractive.

They are both rated around 500 lumens.  The Fury has 600 lumen output, but a much wider spill.  So the question becomes which do I go with?  I'd prefer the M600P, but rather not pay full price for a brand new light.  I already have a M300B and just recently switched the heads for a Malkoff E1 head for better spill on my SBR.

Based on pictures the X300 doesn't look anywhere near as bright as the M600 U or P series.  Recommendations? Thoughts?
View Quote

Make sure you're looking at the x300U model not just the x300....500 vs I believe 170 lumen
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm looking between the same models for a 10.3" build that I am awaiting a stamp for. I personally am leaning towards the M600 since it already comes supplied with the 7" tail switch brand new. I think the XT07 switch that locks into rail is 180 by itself plus another 369? alone for the light new. You can catch some good deals on them though im sure. i know you mentioned some used units. I think the M600 is meant for that medium - long range for a light. My wife has an X300U mounted on an HK vp9 and its a nice light. I definitely will be making the transition into surefire weapon lighting as opposed to the streamlights i currently own. :/

My .02
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#3]
For my home defense rig, I run a suppressed 10.5" LMT with a SF X300U. I love it on that little rig.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For my home defense rig, I run a suppressed 10.5" LMT with a SF X300U. I love it on that little rig.
View Quote

But the OP specified medium range...so I assume that rules out HD-only usage.

OP....I have both of those lights you mention.  My preference (for your intended range) is easily the M600 Fury/Fury Scout light.  There are several different models to choose from.  It puts out a better beam than the X300, and imho, is easier to manipulate the on/off switch.

I would consider the X300 more of a pistol light, but it will work on a rifle, just that there are better options imo.

YMMV

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#6]
The Scouts have lower profile mounting options at the 45 degree angles (1.5 o'clock and what not), while Xs are less costly
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I went with a M600V just because I wanted white and IR. Pressure switch and optional click tail cap were included which was a good deal to me. Slim and allows for more modular changeout of parts if my head goes to crap. Really just preference as is anything. I'm not big on a light that is too high lumen, because indoors 500 lumens will kill your natural NV when using the light for momentary on and move situations. If 150-200 lumens can't do what I need then I've got bigger problems to deal with. A big visual burn in from bright light is no fun in a pitch black shoot house. Your situation will dictate which will be better for you, but the research and shopping part sure is fun isn't it?  Hehe
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the SF X300u and a Streamlight TLR1-S, both are good lights. The SF is brighter at 500 lumens as opposed to the S.L TLR1-S 300 lumen but I prefer the TLR1-S as the on/off switch is easier to manipulate and has momemtary on plus constant on. I still use a M952v on my 10.5" SBR, it isnt as light or bright as the new compact models but it does the job just fine for intended distances but if i could justify the expense to myself, i would gladly upgrade the M952v for a M600v.

I tried out a Fenix PD35 960 lumen flashlight on my duty weapon for the past 6 months and it has turned out to be a great little flashlight at $60, I dont run this light any higher 500 lumen level wher it is good for about 4 hours.. Takes a beating well enough for LEO work, lack of IR would make it a no-go for combat though.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP....I have both of those lights you mention.  My preference (for your intended range) is easily the M600 Fury/Fury Scout light.  There are several different models to choose from.  It puts out a better beam than the X300, and imho, is easier to manipulate the on/off switch.
I would consider the X300 more of a pistol light, but it will work on a rifle, just that there are better options imo.
YMMV

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
YMMV

Correct.  It is not an HD rifle.

I just found a thread on another forum : M600P vs X300U

Based on the photos, it actually looks like the X300U has better spill and a brighter hotspot (better throw).  But I know that cameras can be deceptive and does not always represent what one will actually see.  If I were to go the X300U route, I would get a remote switch as well.  Spill is a somewhat important factor as I like to keep my peripherals in tact.

Light will be ran at the 3 o'clock position without offset.

I don't see a lot of M600 Ultras or Furys for sale on our EE.  I saw one being locally sold, but they were actually nearly full price with SR07 and mount for like $450 which is out of my price range.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:46:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I use a Mini Scout at 3:00 on my LMT 10.5 and I like it a lot. I allllmost feel like my X300U is too bright indoors, to the point of blinding you on white walls.

Also, I don't have any tangible evidence to back this up, but the Mini Scout just "feels" more durable to me compared to the X300U, although neither has ever failed on me. Maybe it's the fact that it doesn't have any plastic like the X300U does.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I use a Mini Scout at 3:00 on my LMT 10.5 and I like it a lot. I allllmost feel like my X300U is too bright indoors, to the point of blinding you on white walls.

Also, I don't have any tangible evidence to back this up, but the Mini Scout just "feels" more durable to me compared to the X300U, although neither has ever failed on me. Maybe it's the fact that it doesn't have any plastic like the X300U does.
View Quote

I will be running a Mini Scout M300B with Malkoff E1 head (Just ordered the head last night) on my 10.5" SBR at the 3:00 position.  The KE1A head had a very strong hot spot and limited spill.  Since I built the SBR for indoor work, I went with the Malkoff head for its better spill and decreased hot spot.

But the 16" AR I am seeking a light would not be used indoors in my home since it is not the best option if I were to utilize an AR.  I have a 10.5" SBR  or a 8.5" .300BO pistol for that.  I want something for outdoor use.  Something that will illuminate an object easily with enough light, but also has enough spill so I can remain aware of my surroundings.  So I am not too concern with blasting a white wall in close quarters.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:06:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:20:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I just ordered a m600p. I don't want my light being too overbearing inside. The u series seems to have a brighter focus spot. Where the p supposedly has more spill, but still lights up 60 to 80 yards. Well se how it goes, and I'll come ba k and report what I find. Actually, it's supposed to be here today. Just waiting for delivery, and I'm ditching work early!
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top