Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/14/2015 9:01:54 AM EDT
Got a what I think is a great deal on a LNIB FDE model for $150 dollars. I can only seem to find bad reviews on this light. (flickering etc..). Anybody use this light a have good things to say about it? Will be used mostly on SHF SBR. Wont be using IR feature yet as NV is a future purchase.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 9:22:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I have no problems with mine.  I did put in the LED upgrade, which ups the lumens and battery life tremendously.  There is a $50 kit (forget who makes it), but I just bought a comparable bulb off amazon.  Took it a month to ship from Hong Kong, but it only cost me $8.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 9:28:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the newer version with the IR/Visible LED. You must have the older model. It just seemed like a good deal but there isn't much info on them online surprisingly and whats there is mostly bad.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have no problems with mine.  I did put in the LED upgrade, which ups the lumens and battery life tremendously.  There is a $50 kit (forget who makes it), but I just bought a comparable bulb off amazon.  Took it a month to ship from Hong Kong, but it only cost me $8.
View Quote

Same results here. I did buy one off the EE with that $50+ kit installed and grabbed an $8 bulb of Amazon for my other. Both work great.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#4]
These seems like great deals. Either of you guys have the newer version like mine with the vampire head?
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I ran a M952V for three or four years and never had a problem at all.  In the event yours does act up, surefire will make it right.  I'd say keep it and run it, although if you don't need IR output yet, I'd suggest getting a LU60 adapter, Z44 bezel, and a malkoff drop in.  Save the km3 head until you acquire night vision
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks. at $150 I figure I couldn't really go wrong. Like I said all I seem to read is negative reports on this light. Im also looking at picking up a PA ultimate weapon light.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 7:45:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:11:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I ran a M952V for three or four years and never had a problem at all.  In the event yours does act up, surefire will make it right.  I'd say keep it and run it, although if you don't need IR output yet, I'd suggest getting a LU60 adapter, Z44 bezel, and a malkoff drop in.  Save the km3 head until you acquire night vision
View Quote

This is sound advice.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:24:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine still runs fine, both white and IR.  It's nice to have the easily selectable modes, but if you don't need IR light then there are better options out there.

Link Posted: 6/15/2015 8:06:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the great info. I like the quick detach mount and NV is future purchase for me at some point but not in the immediate future. Any of you guys have experience with the primary arms budget lights?
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 1:43:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I've layed a good beating on mine and zero issues whatsoever. Every bit as dependable as my 951's have been. It's a bomb proof light, no flickering.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:01:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've layed a good beating on mine and zero issues whatsoever. Every bit as dependable as my 951's have been. It's a bomb proof light, no flickering.
View Quote

Same here
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 1:28:07 PM EDT
[#13]
white was too much flood ir was weak I sold mine and now run a stream light VIR smaller, lighter, and it offers better lumens and more spot in the ir.  

IMO the entire melinium lineup is old news they are too big & heavy for the performance.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 5:50:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
white was too much flood ir was weak I sold mine and now run a stream light VIR smaller, lighter, and it offers better lumens and more spot in the ir.  

IMO the entire melinium lineup is old news they are too big & heavy for the performance.
View Quote

Can you clarify whether you're talking about the TLR-VIR (white/IR), or the TLR-1 IR (IR only)?
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:51:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Can you clarify whether you're talking about the TLR-VIR (white/IR), or the TLR-1 IR (IR only)?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe he's talking about the SF M952V
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I also have the TLR-VIR, and can vouch for its superiority in regards to weight/size/cost over that of the 952v.  The latter also has a crappy mount that will release the light at the slightest provocation.  I have to keep the qd lever tied down with string in order to prevent this.  The TLR mount is much simpler, more secure, lighter, and smaller.  I prefer the 952v's method of selecting between white and IR, though.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#17]

Good light at a decent value.  Especially if you're serious about a NOD purchase later on.  Carried one on a patrol rifle for a couple years u til it started flickering.  SF sent me a replacement in a week.

One thing I wasn't too thrilled about was the mount.  I later picked up the extra body tube parts that allowed it to be used as a handheld or mountable in a 1 inch ring mount.

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 11:12:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Does the mount have a way to tension it? I hear your guys mentioning it comes loose easily. Again this is my first surefire weapon light.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 12:47:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's comparing the M952V to one of the lights I mentioned above, I'm just not sure which one.  I own a TLR-1 IR, but haven't seen much on the VIR.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 4:42:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a d 300 gen2+ mono all comments are made through that device.  
my experiences with the 952 v = it's too big/heavy the white light has too much flood very little throw and a small spot it was just not bright enough.  in the IR mode in the 952v seemed good to about 75 meters but was all flood no real discernible spot. mine never flickered or had any issues but it saw very little use.  

tlrVIR- nice bright white ligh around 300 lumens  of  white light with a strobe option  if/when needed it has good flood& spot.   the IR iluminator has no reflector   it uses a lens that gives the ir a bulls-eye shape pattern a bright spot in the middle and a ring with some flood it seemed to illuminate in IR out to 100-120 meters but you can see some illum out to 200 meters but if it was useful is debatable.
the VIR 's big plus for me it has a switch that toggles between  IR. off, & white, I like the off alot as it prevents accidental activation the 952v can do the same if you leave the head twisted between ir& white. I hope to see streamlight offer off options on all their lights soon.   a con is the IR illum is stretched away from the lights main body making it taller than the tlr-2s its not a huge issue but if you want to mount at 12:00 it is very high, not as high as a 952 in a surefire mount.  

my tlr-2 eye safe IR - has a reflector and IR led that was great out to 200 meters there is alot of flood  but the spot is not fully discernible past 70 meters or so but illumination out to 200 meters was very good  depending on lights , weather, and device.  the class 1 laser was visible out past 500 meters.

none are as good as a pvs15's illuminator   that's all I have experience with.  

my finial opinion is that the streamlight led's with a reflector was the best performer of the 3 sub 1500 units I have tried.  I think all the 952 series of light are antiquated but are tough as all hell  

here is a pic of an attempt to make them work together I have since spread them over 2 rifles and added a crimson trace railmaster IR to the carbine. making 2 guns with white light, ir laser, & ir illum the carbine wears a ltr VIR .  the tlr-2 eyesafe irlaser /led mow sits on my a4 rifle clone with my streamlight TLR-HL giving 600 lumens of white light with a strobe option  if/when needed.  

I know these are not as elegant as other options but in the photo I have posted I have  just under $3000 rifle,lights,sights helmet, rhino mount, D300 ect.  alot was purchased used off the EE

another former set up from around 2011 the laser is a Cherokee it was a great laser but very hard to mount - you had to use warne rings and it ran off 1 cr123 batt so it went dead very quickly.  

Link Posted: 6/21/2015 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks very much for the thorough review, SD307.  Let me try to contribute in a similar fashion.

My experience is through a Gen3 PVS14.  When I had my vampire, I personally thought the IR output was plenty - I could easily illuminate 200 yards or more, and identify eye reflections in predators well past that.  My biggest gripes were the horrendous white light output (it was blue, not very powerful, and lacked a good beam pattern) and the size/weight.

I sold it and bought a TLR-1 IR (IR only), and went with a M300A scout on my rifle (white light only).  Just two weeks ago I found a screaming deal on a M300V, so that now resides on my rifle in place of the M300A.

Random thoughts:
TLR-1 IR:  AMAZING IR illuminator.  It throws extremely well for its size - better than anything I've used at this point.  The spot is very tight and reaches pretty far.  I purchased a Surefire F04-A diffuser and it works perfectly, turning the IR spot into a wide flood that is great for general illumination.  It would work well for navigation on foot, or on an ATV.  I run this on my helmet.  Runtime is good at around 7-8 hours.

M952V:  this was my first legit IR source.  Never had any problems with functionality or reliability (and was affordable at $125), but it was big, heavy, and the white light output left me wanting more.

M300V: this is again plagued by less than ideal white light output, but at least the size and weight are ideal.  the white light is slightly better in beam profile and color than my M952V, but it still isn't even as good as my 110 lumen white light only M300A.  IR output is acceptable out to approximately 100 yards.  If I need to spot further than that, I go to the helmet mounted TLR-1 IR.

Bonus:
Solarforce L2P host with Chinese made IR drop in: this was my first IR light source, and it only cost me about $40 combined.  I ran it in a VTAC helmet mount, and it is great.  Adequate throw with very good flood.  It made riding an ATV on a cloudless night easy.  The drop in runs on a 18650 so runtime is good, and I don't have to burn through CR123 batteries.  This how now become a back up IR light source since acquiring the TLR-1 IR.  Excellent bang for the buck (and this is coming from a guy that routinely shuns Chinese lights).

edited to add:

Double Bonus:  forgot to mention my Surefire helmet light.  It has white light, IR light, and IFF beacon.  three lighting levels for white and IR light (IFF beacon is either off, or on).  

The white light is sufficient for up close tasks on low (reading a map, checking your weapon, walking around in the dark without NODs).  On high the white light is enough to light up a room of an average sized home.  

The IR light is sufficient for navigating inside a dark building/structure on low, and on high will light up a pretty good area indoors (seems like it would be sufficient out to approximately 50 feet), or is enough to navigate a wooded/no moonlight area at night on foot or slowly on an ATV.  

Great run time on low, very low profile solution for helmet mounted aid.  Not very expensive (under $50 if you look hard) and it is light weight to boot.  Should be a must have if you're running helmet mounted NODs.  There are alternatives out there, princeton tec being a popular one.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#22]

My Surefire M952V mounted, just got it and it seems more than enough for my needs.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't like the factory mount. Too high profile IMO. I currently use the HSP offset mount, but I'd prefer a QD offset like the LaRue LT752E.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top