Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2014 8:32:06 AM EDT
So im in the dollar store with the SO and I notice they have 123 batteries.  My first thought was no way... So I looked closer.  They are not regular or alkaline, they are real lithium batteries and are a brand name. Expiration date is in 2017/2018. I picked some up to at least try.  Anyone have any experience? GTG? Or fake POS? If they work... Seems like a great price for something you can walk in and pick up off the shelf. Best Buy across the street charges $20.....
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:46:46 AM EDT
[#1]
You never actually said what they cost.

I order mine from Brightflashlights for $1.70 each shipped.

If I catch myself in a bind, Lowes has 2-packs of Surefires for $5.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:02:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You never actually said what they cost.

I order mine from Brightflashlights for $1.70 each shipped.

If I catch myself in a bind, Lowes has 2-packs of Surefires for $5.
View Quote

Ha.. So literally the dollar store.  Everything is a dollar. Aka a pack of 2 for $1. See what i mean? And thats good to know lowes has them too.... Didnt know that. Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:11:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Buy an extra pack and test by installing and leaving the light on until the battery drains.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:22:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I purchased some off name brand batteries once and they didn't last very long.  Not sure of the brand right now, but they were green and black... they stay in the flashlight beside the back door which scans the yard for skunks before I let her out.  I'll never use them in my weapon lights or my home defense lights.  They just aren't reliable.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:44:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I tried off brand batteries in my MP3 player one time and they has about half the regular life as Energizers.  Try them and see for yourself if they will work for your needs.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:02:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Buy an extra pack and test by installing and leaving the light on until the battery drains.
View Quote

Don't use your favorite light for this and don't do it near flammable objects
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:03:29 PM EDT
[#7]
OP was this Dollar Tree? I have been trying to find this deal. It was mentioned in GD.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:37:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Examine how much you pay in life insurance and how much you are worth dead...

Examine how much you are paying for this critical part that could easily mean life or death...

Let the values tell you if saving money on dollar tree is really saving money.

Don't get me wrong, Feel free to use them for training and play such, but I'd only run batteries of known history and life for critical duty.

Your values may vary...  

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Examine how much you pay in life insurance and how much you are worth dead...

Examine how much you are paying for this critical part that could easily mean life or death...

Let the values tell you if saving money on dollar tree is really saving money.

Don't get me wrong, Feel free to use them for training and play such, but I'd only run batteries of known history and life for critical duty.

Your values may vary...  

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

I play with flashlights a lot and it would be nice to have some cheap batteries that I can use in lights that can't use RCR16340s.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Step 1- buy them all.

Step 2- give them all to me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:22:50 AM EDT
[#11]
If they expire in 2017 (it is almost 2015 now) you are looking at 3 years left, lithium has a 10 year shelf life........ those are OLD batteries.

What brand are they?

I bought some shitty chinese batteries off ebay (123s) I thought I got a screamin deal, like 36 bats for $20or something. I went to look at them in the cubbard and the bastards had rust/corrosion/leakage coming out the ends! Fuck that shit! Threw them away!

If these lithium batteries "fail" they can vent with flame and burn your fucking house down!

Now most of my lights are AA, but for my few that are 123 lithium I only buy Surefires locally at lowes( ) or Wal-Mart.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Step 1- buy them all.

Step 2- give them all to me.
View Quote

Only doing step 1 here

Eta: raided another store for 13 more.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:10:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Those are the Sunbeam brand, I've used the AA and AAA around the house with no major noticeable difference from name brands.

IIRC some time ago one of the flashlight forums (Brightlights??) had a member who did a pretty in depth comparison of dollar store brands to others. It was surprising they did as well as they did.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Those are the Sunbeam brand, I've used the AA and AAA around the house with no major noticeable difference from name brands.

IIRC some time ago one of the flashlight forums (Brightlights??) had a member who did a pretty in depth comparison of dollar store brands to others. It was surprising they did as well as they did.
View Quote

They are powering two lights right now. Might do a run time test over the break.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 6:03:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:39:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
All USA-Made CR123A batteries are identical except for the wrapper (all made by Panasonic in their Columbus, Georgia plant).

If they are made in China, DO NOT USE.  Chinese batteries have been known to blow up, literally. Host product destruction and bodily injury can occur.

Battery Station learned the hard way.  Now all Battery Station CR123A cells are USA Made.  If you find any of the old ones, throw them away (old ones shown below with yellow stripe).

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=20793

View Quote

Do they have this problem with circuit protected emitters?
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 11:30:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Those Sunbeam branded Dollar Store batteries are MADE IN CHINA. No thanks!

Saving a little money is not worth the risk of having a potential bomb on your person or rifle. I came across a bad experience from a fellow shooter that had some made in china 123a batteries explode in his flashlight and he ended up getting irreversible respiratory damage to his lungs due to inhalation of fumes.

Not even close to worth taking the risk IMHO.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top