Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2014 2:11:02 PM EDT

EDIT: I WENT WITH THE X400V IRC - SEE BELOW FOR REVIEW AND PICTURES

Im looking for a Visible Light, IR Light and IR laser setup (Visible laser would be a bonus but not needed) to put on my MK18 rifle. The IR is for use with my PVS-14.

Option 1
Surefire X400 IRc
Pros: All three features i need for just $600 plus its only 4.8 oz and the light i use now weighs 5.5oz so i would be reducing the weight by 0.7oz!
Cons: The visible light is a fairly low 150 Lumens, nearly half the lumens of the upgraded LED G2 light im using now

Option 2
PEQ-15 (Civilian Version)
Pros: Not going to lie it looks way cooler It has more features and variable power settings (Edit: It may not have variable power) for the lasers and illuminator and I can stick with a higher lumen visible light.
Cons: Costs around $1,300, plus would still need a visible light, probably a X600U so add another $300. Its pretty heavy at 7.5oz then add another 5.5oz for the visible light (not really adding since I have a old 5.5oz G2 Light now) and the whole setup weights 1/2lb more than the X400.

Are the few extra features of the PEQ-15 really worth double the cost and double the weight of the X400 IRc?
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 2:30:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I just got into the NVG game and I am getting both of them to support a rifle and pistol combo. The biggest cons to using the X400 on your rifle is your light switching options and lack of a slaved visible laser for zeroing.  If you are fine with the rocker controls and don't care about the slaved lasers I would say go for it.  Worst case is you have an IR setup for your handgun if you decide that the X400 is too cumbersome for your rifle.

EDIT:
FYI - You can get the XT07 Remote Dual Switch in lieu of the rocker switch.  The X400 will be a more powerful IR illuminator as well.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#2]
My only real complaint with the dual band IR/White lights from Surefire is how you have to switch them between IR and White light. It's not just another switch, you have to physically turn the bezel to switch between them.  I have a V1 on my helmet and the X300v on a handgun and it is rather cumbersome to switch which light I'm using.  I am waiting on the PEQ-15 from TNVC but I will probably put a white light on my carbine as well just to make it easier to change what I want to use.  My .02
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:12:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just got into the NVG game and I am getting both of them to support a rifle and pistol combo. The biggest cons to using the X400 on your rifle is your light switching options and lack of a slaved visible laser for zeroing.  If you are fine with the rocker controls and don't care about the slaved lasers I would say go for it.  Worst case is you have an IR setup for your handgun if you decide that the X400 is too cumbersome for your rifle.

EDIT:
FYI - You can get the XT07 Remote Dual Switch in lieu of the rocker switch.  The X400 will be a more powerful IR illuminator as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

EDIT:

It will be on a MK18 so my fingers will be right there near the buttons anyways, but nice to know i can use the remote pad.

I can see how not having the slaved visible laser would be an issue. I would have to bring my NODs with me every time i wanted to confirm it was zeroed.

No one actually uses a Visible and IR light at the the same time right? Do people even switch back and forth? i mean once you have your NODs on i feel like you dont have any need for visible light at that point.

Quoted:
My only real complaint with the dual band IR/White lights from Surefire is how you have to switch them between IR and White light. It's not just another switch, you have to physically turn the bezel to switch between them.  I have a V1 on my helmet and the X300v on a handgun and it is rather cumbersome to switch which light I'm using.  I am waiting on the PEQ-15 from TNVC but I will probably put a white light on my carbine as well just to make it easier to change what I want to use.  My .02

The PEQ-15 and White Light is more convenient than the X400 but not sure if those conviences are worth the extra 1/2 pounds and $600+ cost.
Tough decision but the poll seems to be saying the PEQ-15 at this point.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:19:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I owned the 400ir and tried it on my rifle. It sat higher on the rail than my eotech on a LaRue riser. Mounting it on the side of the rifle would have worked but I wanted it at the 12 position. Sold it and putting the money toward the atpial.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 1:33:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 2:05:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm still glad I got the IWAL2 years ago, when Grant was selling it.
Sets the standard in a low profile compact aiming laser.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 4:06:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to run an X300 set up at the 12 o'clock in front of my Iron as you see a lot of people do. I've seen a picture on here and on TOS with pics of the X400 IR at the same position. Besides not having the ability to use a tape switch in that config, you can't use your irons because it sits too high. You can very well set it at any other position and I think it would be a decent option. The offset for zeroing might be some what of an issue. I say decent, only because that could potetially be a problem. Rest assure..fire (), it's an A+ quality product. Otherwise, it's very affordable for what you're  getting, and of course like it says above, if you end up not liking that set up you now have a nice IR pistol package.

ATPIAL-C is basically impossible to beat. It gives you everything nobody else could for a price that's not terribly outrageous. Though.. (About to contradict myself slightly) personally, I think 1200-1300 is a bit steep for a C1 IR laser, and of course the D2 is laughably expensive. I would pay $500 for an ATPIAL-C.

Still, Insight has a product that nobody in the market can compete with. The closest products were way too expensive. D2 = laughable. Wilcox = delay, proprietary switch, womp womp womp. There's a few others but nothing worth mentioning.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 4:57:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I run the X400 on a rifle with the IWC offset rail mount.  Kicks the unit off to the side, and leaves you with a 36mm offset to the right (or left).

The laser is only 10mm below my T1's centerline, so I use that as a basis and set my laser basically parallel to my optic...

Makes the laser useful at all ranges, since it never crosses my optic.  Just gotta remember the slight offset, and then use the drops Im used to with my 50 yard zero.

Is it suited best to a pistol?

Yes.

Is it nice to have a IR light, vis light, and IR illuminator in a package that weighs as little as this does?  

YES.

To get the same functionality as the PEQ, I'd have to buy that and a white light, and would still have a less effective IR illuminator....and it would weigh almost 3x as much.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I used to run an X300 set up at the 12 o'clock in front of my Iron as you see a lot of people do. I've seen a picture on here and on TOS with pics of the X400 IR at the same position. Besides not having the ability to use a tape switch in that config, you can't use your irons because it sits too high. You can very well set it at any other position and I think it would be a decent option. The offset for zeroing might be some what of an issue. I say decent, only because that could potetially be a problem. Rest assure..fire (), it's an A+ quality product. Otherwise, it's very affordable for what you're  getting, and of course like it says above, if you end up not liking that set up you now have a nice IR pistol package.

ATPIAL-C is basically impossible to beat. It gives you everything nobody else could for a price that's not terribly outrageous. Though.. (About to contradict myself slightly) personally, I think 1200-1300 is a bit steep for a C1 IR laser, and of course the D2 is laughably expensive. I would pay $500 for an ATPIAL-C.

Still, Insight has a product that nobody in the market can compete with. The closest products were way too expensive. D2 = laughable. Wilcox = delay, proprietary switch, womp womp womp. There's a few others but nothing worth mentioning.
View Quote

I'd guess the ATPIAL-C would be a third less expensive if it did not go through the same government-mandated testing as the full-power PEQ-15s. It seems like L3's goal is to give civilian shooters the exact same product as the mil-spec PEQ-15 (drop test, vibration test, waterproofing, extreme temps, etc) but with a C1 laser/illum setup.

I personally would have been fine with a "pretty rugged" version (like the Aimpoint Micro H-1 vs the T-1) for less money, but I guess L3 doesn't want to set up an exclusively civilian assembly line just to save us end-users some money. :)
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 5:06:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I run the X400 on a rifle with the IWC offset rail mount.  Kicks the unit off to the side, and leaves you with a 36mm offset to the right (or left).

The laser is only 10mm below my T1's centerline, so I use that as a basis and set my laser basically parallel to my optic...

Makes the laser useful at all ranges, since it never crosses my optic.  Just gotta remember the slight offset, and then use the drops Im used to with my 50 yard zero.

Yes.

Is it nice to have a IR light, vis light, and IR illuminator in a package that weighs as little as this does?  

YES.

To get the same functionality as the PEQ, I'd have to buy that and a white light, and would still have a less effective IR illuminator....and it would weigh almost 3x as much.
View Quote

Are you using something like the Unity Tactical EXO to protect the fairly delicate switch and backplate?
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:48:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Are you using something like the Unity Tactical EXO to protect the fairly delicate switch and backplate?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

YES.

Nope.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:31:34 AM EDT
[#14]
So close! I just hate having to have multiple devices unless they work together ergonomically and functionally. Having everything BUT the white light in one device just bugs me for some reason -- now I need a whole additional system to get white light.

If somebody could deliver this, would it be perfect?

One unit that sits at 12:00 and works behind a front sight.
IR + Visible slaved lasers
IR + White Light selectable illuminator
Some switchology that make sense

Or is it better to split the functions into different devices, for future flexibility?

I guess there are tradeoffs to everything. You could have a Vampire head and get the IR/White illumination, but you get more downrange signature from the IR LED than from an IR laser illuminator (or that's what I read). How do you control the illuminator and laser -- do you ever want to operate them separately?

I've basically settled for a slaved IR/Visible laser plus a Vampire light. Since the Vampire light in IR mode has more visible signature than the laser, that's the one I use with a momentary pressure switch. The laser I figure I'll turn on and leave on when operating in IR mode. For white light it would be same -- the illuminator on the pressure switch, and forget the laser I'd be using the Red Dot. I tried using the SR-D-IT dual pressure switch but ergonomically I couldn't figure out whether I could activate both devices momentarily.

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:56:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So close! I just hate having to have multiple devices unless they work together ergonomically and functionally. Having everything BUT the white light in one device just bugs me for some reason -- now I need a whole additional system to get white light.

If somebody could deliver this, would it be perfect?

One unit that sits at 12:00 and works behind a front sight.
IR + Visible slaved lasers
IR + White Light selectable illuminator
Some switchology that make sense

Or is it better to split the functions into different devices, for future flexibility?

I guess there are tradeoffs to everything. You could have a Vampire head and get the IR/White illumination, but you get more downrange signature from the IR LED than from an IR laser illuminator (or that's what I read). How do you control the illuminator and laser -- do you ever want to operate them separately?

I've basically settled for a slaved IR/Visible laser plus a Vampire light. Since the Vampire light in IR mode has more visible signature than the laser, that's the one I use with a momentary pressure switch. The laser I figure I'll turn on and leave on when operating in IR mode. For white light it would be same -- the illuminator on the pressure switch, and forget the laser I'd be using the Red Dot. I tried using the SR-D-IT dual pressure switch but ergonomically I couldn't figure out whether I could activate both devices momentarily.

View Quote

The Wilcox Raptor ES Lite does everything, but I understand the IR illuminator is way underpowered.  Perhaps they will fix that and increase product demand?  The Raptor was my first choice for my rifle until I read the reviews of the IR illumination.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:59:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#17]
So i bought a cheap Airsoft PEQ-15 replica off ebay and filled if full of weights until it was 7.5oz like the real PEQ-15 and have been attaching it to various spots on the rifle. It takes my rifle from 9lb to 9.5lb, a pretty significant jump in weight and is noticeable.

I also discovered that when using the Eotech XPS or similar absolute co-witness sights the PEQ-15 covers up 1/3 to 1/2 of the view depending on where its positioned on the top rail, so either it has to go on the side or lower rail or i need to add a riser or go with a 1/3 co-witness sight, which adds about 3-4 oz of weight.

I do like the look and feel (not the weight) of the PEQ-15 but it just doesnt make sense to add 7.5oz and at a cost of $1,000+ more than the X400 setup.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:24:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Either way, you're still going to have to run a white light. You're also going to want to have dual-press switch that will operate both. I use the setup pictured below as my "night" gun. It's an all-L3 setup, and it is the Gen2 LED M3X light. I know there are plenty of better lights, but I don't use it for anything but close-in / indoor white light support and rarely for shooting. It works perfectly for that task, and won't blind the shooter  or wash-out his vision even indoors. 150 lumens is plenty to blind a subject.

I rarely use it outdoors, as once my NODs are on I have a real aversion to visible light.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:24:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Again, the X400V on the top rail will completely block your view, and on the side rail the laser is going to be WAY off bore.

The switching of the X400V is good for a pistol that sits in a holster, its not so good for a rifle, its very easy to move and much more exposed than a PEQs.

I love my X400V, but on a pistol, it is very unsuited to being used on a rifle, whereas the ATPIAL is the result of a long line of figuring out what works best on a rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I also discovered that when using the Eotech XPS or similar absolute co-witness sights the PEQ-15 covers up 1/3 to 1/2 of the view depending on where its positioned on the top rail, so either it has to go on the side or lower rail or i need to add a riser or go with a 1/3 co-witness sight, which adds about 3-4 oz of weight.

Again, the X400V on the top rail will completely block your view, and on the side rail the laser is going to be WAY off bore.

The switching of the X400V is good for a pistol that sits in a holster, its not so good for a rifle, its very easy to move and much more exposed than a PEQs.

I love my X400V, but on a pistol, it is very unsuited to being used on a rifle, whereas the ATPIAL is the result of a long line of figuring out what works best on a rifle.

I like a completely open sight picture in my eotech so I will put it on the bottom rail. Just planning to replace the G2 i have there now.

I just bought a X400V IRc so i will report back on how i like it. I got a really good deal on it so if I have to I can sell it on EE used and wont be out any money.

Thank you to everyone who voted and provided valuable input, i know im going against the majority of the advice here but i didnt read anything that stood out as an obvious reason why to go with the PEQ-15. For some people its a no brainer to go with the PEQ-15 and it fits there needs perfectly but for me the extra weight, need for a separate white light, excessive cost, unnecessary extra features, etc...was a deal breaker for me.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Looking forward to your feedback.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I like a completely open sight picture in my eotech so I will put it on the bottom rail. Just planning to replace the G2 i have there now.

<a href="http://s110.photobucket.com/user/spartikis/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps196e559c.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n91/spartikis/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps196e559c.jpg</a>

I just bought a X400V IRc so i will report back on how i like it. I got a really good deal on it so if I have to I can sell it on EE used and wont be out any money.

Thank you to everyone who voted and provided valuable input, i know im going against the majority of the advice here but i didnt read anything that stood out as an obvious reason why to go with the PEQ-15. For some people its a no brainer to go with the PEQ-15 and it fits there needs perfectly but for me the extra weight, need for a separate white light, excessive cost, unnecessary extra features, etc...was a deal breaker for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s110.photobucket.com/user/spartikis/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps196e559c.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n91/spartikis/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps196e559c.jpg</a>

You can probably "make it work" but like everyone has said, it won't be optimal. It is a damn nice light. I loved it and if I had a holster that would have worked, I would have kept it and it became my new go to handgun light.

There is nothing that's says you can't use it on the rifle while you save your pennies for the atpial.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:59:59 PM EDT
[#23]
IWC 45 degree offset mount on the top rail....

Not sure why people keep saying it wont work.  Its actually a very nice setup with only 10mm offset from the centerline of your optic elevation wise, and about 36 or so off to either side....similar to most other lasers out there.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#24]
As promised here is my review and pictures of the X400V IRc.
They sell for around $600+/- online but i picked mine up used for around $550 on eBay.

Weight: 4.8oz w/ batteries, which is 0.7oz less than the old G2 light and mount i was using. The PEQ-15 weighs in at 7.5oz w/ batteries.
Size: Very compact, as can be seen in the pictures below it is a fraction of the size of the PEQ-15.
Visible Light: Initially I was concerned that 150 lumen would be insufficient but it illuminates a large room with no problems. I can't tell the difference between it and my 230 lumen light but when compared to a 500 lumen you can tell the difference
IR Light: Non-adjustable and has a very wide spread, easily lighting up any room . Outside it lit up my privacy fence close to 50 yards away but does lack the focus of the PEQ-15.
IR Laser: Visible on houses to 100+ yards, maybe more but I'm limited to a PVS-14 with no magnification. Being a Class 1 laser you dont see the beam in the air, just the dot down range. It also had significantly less bloom when compared to a Class 3 laser.
Usability: The functions are simple. There is a lever for Off, Light, dual and Laser. To switch from IR to Visible light you pull the bezel forward about a quarter inch and rotate it to desired type of light. The unit is push button activated for monetary light/laser or can be switched for continuous light/laser.

Conclusion: Does is have less features than the PEQ-15? Yes, you can't do a strobe with the laser, you cant adjust the beam width of the illuminator, there is no visible laser and it lacks filters to change the shape of the lasers. If those extra features are important get the PEQ-15 but if youre just looking for the bare bones visible light, IR light and IR laser package the X400V IRc at nearly half the weight and half the cost is the way to go.

My MK18 Setup

X400V IRc and PEQ-15 Side By Side
Note: The PEQ-15 is an airsoft replica just to give a size comparison.

Shadow From Suppressor - Mounting in the 6 o'clock position does not seem to be a problem
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top