Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2014 11:09:26 PM EDT
I am looking for a light for a .22lr m4 for home defense. I was looking at inforce wml and fab defense speed light g2.  

What are your thoughts on these two and is there something else I should consider?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:49:43 AM EDT
[#1]
22lr = no go for home defense.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:57:46 AM EDT
[#2]
No offense, but if I were relying on a .22lr for defense I would want the brightest light possible. For your price range you may want to consider the Streamlight TLR-1 HL which puts out over 600 lumens, I believe the Inforce is only 200 lumens while the 6v FAB is better -but still likely only ~470 out the front.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 4:05:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I know it isn't the best for home defense and that is not why I bought the gun. It is my first gun  and I got it to just have fun at the range with its inexpensive ammo. But since it is the only gun I have, it is better than nothing in a home defense situation so I want to make the most of it and equip it properly if I need to use it for that.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know it isn't the best for home defense and that is not why I bought the gun. It is my first gun  and I got it to just have fun at the range with its inexpensive ammo. But since it is the only gun I have, it is better than nothing in a home defense situation so I want to make the most of it and equip it properly if I need to use it for that.
View Quote

I would suggest you not worry about the light and take that money and save for a better gun,  The canik tp9 is getting great reviews and you can have one for right around 300 bucks.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:42:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the intention of eventually getting a center fire AR, I just got the 22 first so I could practice with that and not go broke on ammo while I learn on the gun.  All accessories I'm getting for the 22, I want to make sure will be good on the center fire also.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:01:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Surefire G2X Tactical
VTAC offset flashlight mount
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:59:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I got a SF 6P with a 400lm chinese dropin on my 22lr AR.  The upper has a Troy rail with an Arson Machine Co. direct mount for the light.  Works good to keep things away from my chickens.  Since its a 22lr any light will probably work.  But I would do a SF G2X Tactical in whatever mount that will work with what is on the front of your gun.  You can pick up the light for around $50 from various online places.  Then mounts start around $20 for OK ones, and go up from there.  There is no reason you couldn't get a light and mount for well under $100.  But I would second getting a decent little pistol for HD stuff.  I much prefer pistols indoors.  Just easier to handle.  But thats just me.  Also, if you want something for HD, you can get a cheap used shotgun for not a lot of dough.  I have scored a few over the years for around $100 or so.  Most have been pumps some have been break open single shots.  But they go boom and pack a bit more punch than the 22lr.  Heck you can get a Maverick 88 usually for under or around $200.  Put a magpul forend for the mossberg 500 on it (assuming it will fit) and you can add a light pretty easily to that.  Could probably do the whole thing for around $250-300 and it would be way more better than a 22.  Food for thought.  To each his own.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 9:13:13 PM EDT
[#8]
If you dont care about looks g2 and others can be had a good price. I like the mil styling and the surefire 951 and 952 can be had at that price in the EE. Plus they are more than ready to move to a 556 centerfire weapon when you upgrade.

Alot of people are dead because of 22lr and its a fav of assasins because you can get subsonic loads that are really quiet. Add a can and they dont make noise. Dont listen to the detractors, you are right in every way, a 22lr IS better than nothing. Just remember to use the best quality ammo you can find. Failed fires on primer strikes are coomon in 22lr and not something you want to risk if you can help it.

Good luck op...
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 11:54:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Surefire g2z with a gear sector offset mount.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Surefire 6P off Ebay and buy a M60 lamp from Milkoff and you will have a great light for well under a C note. Also check the EE for a used ElZetta, hands down the best light I have ever had, and I have had a lot of them!!!!  
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:00:58 AM EDT
[#11]
What kind of 22 is it? If it is a S&W M&P-22 with the full length quad rail I'd slide the front sight back and mount a HSP WML on the top rail.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:54:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Try and find a cheap used Surefire G2 (Preferably with the LED bulbl)off ebay, then get  the cheapest mount you can find.

Like others have said its not ideal but it will work until you get some more cash saved up. There are quite a few good deals out there right now, there was a full kit minus the lower for $450, you can buy a polymer lower for $50 + $20 for the transfer plus some tax and youre looking at $550.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:17:18 AM EDT
[#14]
People...a solar force l2p is superior to a g2 or a 6p...they are cheaper, have a better finish, (HA111 finish) and accept 18650 batteries. One can be had for $25 new...not used. Add a good p60 drop in, and you have a kickass weaponlight for well under $100. Check them out at light hound.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
People...a solar force l2p is superior to a g2 or a 6p...they are cheaper, have a better finish, (HA111 finish) and accept 18650 batteries. One can be had for $25 new...not used. Add a good p60 drop in, and you have a kickass weaponlight for well under $100. Check them out at light hound.
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up. Most of my lights already use 18650, so that is a no brainer.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:18:33 PM EDT
[#16]
If you're on a budget PSA has the Streamlight LED C4 on clearance, 14.99 and Blackhawk 1 inch offset mount 4.99.  Total with shipping would be less than 30 bucks for a bright and good quality light.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:57:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you're on a budget PSA has the Streamlight LED C4 on clearance, 14.99 and Blackhawk 1 inch offset mount 4.99.  Total with shipping would be less than 30 bucks for a bright and good quality light.
View Quote

I asked the guys at work if anyone wanted a light while I was ordering. I now have 27 PolyTac lights inbound.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:08:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up. Most of my lights already use 18650, so that is a no brainer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just make sure you buy a potted p60 module and your golden. I pot all my own, so I can get away with using the cheap solar force modules. Malkoff, and nailbender at custom lights both sell fully potted modules.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top