Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2014 2:36:00 AM EDT
Handheld or mounted on a firearm, how many lumens is too much indoors? Seems like 500 is a bit excessive, and more suitable outdoors.

Any information would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 2:44:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I used an 500 lumen light (nail bender xml at 2.8a), iirc for an amis course with southnarc. Worked fine.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 3:23:26 AM EDT
[#2]
as iv said before on here, my 600 is just fine. I get a bounce back off white walls but it doesnt kill my vision at all plus I can blind an assailant who is even looking in my direction.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 8:45:58 AM EDT
[#3]
A diffuser helps quite a bit with high output lights, toning down the hotspot does wonders for me. Inside 500 diffused lumens will light up a room without a hotspot that messes up my eyes. The nice thing is that you can pop the diffuser off if you need more throw.

X300U on my pistol and a WMLX on my carbine.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:33:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 5:51:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't recommend anything over 120 lumens for most people. Especially if using it in an environment that you are unfamiliar with. It doesn't take much to blind yourself when you have 3,000 lumens coming out of the torch you mounted on your weapon, lol!!!! If you don't believe me, try it yourself and see how easy it is to make you see spots when you get a reflection back at ya.  If your use will be all outdoors, than go ahead with your 10,000 lumen welder you call a light and have fun. OH, and ElZetta makes the very best lights that money can buy!!!! I just scored a 3 cell and I am impressed as I much as I was when I received their 2 cell light. Now I need to order another one of their FSB mounts for it.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 7:09:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't recommend anything over 120 lumens for most people. Especially if using it in an environment that you are unfamiliar with. It doesn't take much to blind yourself when you have 3,000 lumens coming out of the torch you mounted on your weapon, lol!!!! If you don't believe me, try it yourself and see how easy it is to make you see spots when you get a reflection back at ya.  If your use will be all outdoors, than go ahead with your 10,000 lumen welder you call a light and have fun. OH, and ElZetta makes the very best lights that money can buy!!!! I just scored a 3 cell and I am impressed as I much as I was when I received their 2 cell light. Now I need to order another one of their FSB mounts for it.  
View Quote

If your vision is night adapted, any kind of light is going to ruin it. 120, or 520 lumens. Lux is what makes you see spots.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:05:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If your vision is night adapted, any kind of light is going to ruin it. 120, or 520 lumens. Lux is what makes you see spots.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tested out my light just to make sure it wouldn't be a killer on dark adapted eyes. I actually set the WMLX and X300U with a diffuser by the bed and went to sleep. When I woke up to pee I used the light in a short burst against a white wall and it wasn't bad at all. Without the diffuser it gave me a bit of flashbulb effect when I tried the same thing. For me and my eyes 500 lumens without a bright hotspot works well even from a dead sleep. Without a diffuser would probably be fine too in actual use because I wouldn't be shining the light at eye level and I wouldn't be focused on where the light was aiming.

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:14:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I currently use X300 Ultra (500 lumen) and Surefire Fury (500 lumen) indoors regularly.  I have used Inforce WML, Surefire Scouts in 300,600.  Millennium lights of several kinds, 6P, etc. etc.    The spill of each is indeed different, but this "too much light for inside" stuff is internet BS.  Know your light's capabilities and how to best use them for both direct and indirect lighting situations.  You'll be glad you have the extra HP when the time comes.

I've never found myself in a situation where I had too much light, too  much ammunition, too much gun, too much money, or too much good looks.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 1:37:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I heard a bump in the night once, grabbed my pistol with tlr1 HL and proceeded to blind myself momentarily when I lit up my white bedroom door after just waking up and being in complete darkness. So it's very possible it's too much, but if your careful with where you point the light it's not bad and the amount you can see is impressive especially outside.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 1:44:03 PM EDT
[#10]
No such thing as too much, yet.

500 minimum.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:44:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This blog post may be helpful: http://www.ELZETTA.com/blog/lumens/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAbGKr0EZDU

It is not the lumen-rating that matters but the way the light is dispersed (lumens measure total light output, not brightness).  As shown in the photos below 900 lumens in a concentrated beam may be overwhelming while 900 lumens through a flood lens is just right.

http://www.elzetta.com/media/wysiwyg/Water_Flow_Analogy.jpg

View Quote

This.

It's all about beam profile. A standard lightbulb is like 1100 lumens and you usually need 2 to light a room.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:49:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This.

It's all about beam profile. A standard lightbulb is like 1100 lumens and you usually need 2 to light a room.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not the lumen-rating that matters but the way the light is dispersed (lumens measure total light output, not brightness).  As shown in the photos below 900 lumens in a concentrated beam may be overwhelming while 900 lumens through a flood lens is just right.

This.

Yep!

I have a Surefire heavily modded P60 on my FN PS90 that has a 2,500 Lumen LED in it.

It's fine for indoors, it would not be my first (or second OR third) choice for outdoors because it's mostly flood not throw.

I had one of the Wicked Lasers "The Torch" which is 4,100 Lumens. It was the most worthless light I've EVER owned! Great for starting fires (REALLY) but even in a room it was crap....NO THROW at all. Battery life of less than 10 minutes, but you could light news paper on fire in less than 5 seconds
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I built a 500-700 lumen head (it has 3ea 350lumen Cree XPG LEDs with a slightly detuned board to run them at 700mA ea, give or take) and stuffed it on a Streamlight M3.  Its just about perfect for indoors.  Still a little on the bright side if all of the lights are off.  But it is a super floody beam so I can illuminate the entire room with ease.  You just have to watch how close you get to white walls. Minimum of 5-6ft of distance to a wall other wise it starts to hurt.  After running the factory 80-100lumen incan bulb it in, as well as messing around with a M951 with a P60 bulb, I can say that 120lumens isn't enough.  You miss a lot of stuff around the periphery of the beam and i think it makes searching take longer and isn't as "safe" IMO.  Even my 200lm M600 isn't quite enough.  But then again its hard to go back once you have been spoiled with good lights and custom, purpose built lights.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:03:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

But then again its hard to go back once you have been spoiled with good lights and custom, purpose built lights.
View Quote

AGREED!
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:17:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
+ 1,000,000,000

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

AGREED!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But then again its hard to go back once you have been spoiled with good lights and custom, purpose built lights.

AGREED!

My first good light was a xenon Streamlight Scoprion back when they first came out. The light was amazing compared to a 3D Maglite especially considering its size. A few days ago I put batteries back in one and compared it to my X300U on my pistol just for fun. Let me just say that I found it hard to believe that I ever thought that Scorpion was so impressive.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:09:38 PM EDT
[#17]
200 is plenty
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Indoors, a focused 150 with a little even spread around the hot spot is plenty.  As others have said, its about the pattern.  Momentary on for target recognition, possibly momentary strobe to disorient.  More power adds nothing, risks reflective blinding of the operator, and produces more battery drain.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:07:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Indoors, a focused 150 with a little even spread around the hot spot is plenty.  As others have said, its about the pattern.  Momentary on for target recognition, possibly momentary strobe to disorient.  More power adds nothing, risks reflective blinding of the operator, and produces more battery drain.
View Quote
I have a 100 lumen light with a focused hotspot/little spread, and it hurts my eyes more than my 500 lumen lght with a wide spread inside my house.

How does more power add nothing when my 500 lumen light with a wide spill throws just as far or farther then my 100 lumen light with a tight hotspot?

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#20]
As I mentioned above, I have a "The Torch" by Wicked Lasers.

It has 4,100 Lumens, yet it will not light a room nearly as well as a First Gen Surefire Scout at 65 Lumens.

Lumens are meaningless without a control method to either focus or diffuse them.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:51:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have a 100 lumen light with a focused hotspot/little spread, and it hurts my eyes more than my 500 lumen lght with a wide spread inside my house.  

How does more power add nothing when my 500 lumen light with a wide spill throws just as far or farther then my 100 lumen light with a tight hotspot?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My little G2 with the 240 lumen Malkoff LED that I've had for years is pretty damned bright thanks to it's outstanding design.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top