Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2014 12:58:27 AM EDT
I've put together two AR pistol builds - a 10.5" barreled pistol and a 7.5" barrel. One of them will become my 'car gun' in my little econobox commuter car. For this application, I'd like a small weapon light that I can mount in an offset mount - either a 1" tube or more likely a 0.9" tube. I'm thinking as small of light as reasonably possible, so probably a single CR123 battery. I also would like a light that is actuated from a tailcap switch.

So.......what lights fit the bill? Small, short, and light weight.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 1:14:24 AM EDT
[#1]
This might suit your needs. You can also get it with added infrared function for about $10-15 more. Starting around $107 I believe.

Inforce

EDIT: Disregard OP. After further research, looks like they might have some issues.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 1:36:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This might suit your needs. You can also get it with added infrared function for about $10-15 more. Starting around $107 I believe.

Inforce
View Quote

I have one of the original white light only versions and I like it. They have released a longer bodied 500 lumen version, but it takes 2x 123 cells. There is also a momentary only single 123 cell version, but the standard version is programmed to behave this way if the switch is held down for more than 1 second (I think is the time frame). I just wish they could come up with a 300 lumen or so version of the single cell WML, as other companies have done lately.

There is also a new Elzetta single cell light, the Alpha model. I'm pretty sure they use a 1" tube as well.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 1:42:49 AM EDT
[#3]
The Inforce won't work for me because it's rail mounted, not via an offset mount. (Due to the small pistol size and my grip, I need a "tubed" light that I can put in an offset mount). I'll take a look at the Elzetta single cell light.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 1:49:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have one of the original white light only versions and I like it. They have released a longer bodied 500 lumen version, but it takes 2x 123 cells. There is also a momentary only single 123 cell version, but the standard version is programmed to behave this way if the switch is held down for more than 1 second (I think is the time frame). I just wish they could come up with a 300 lumen or so version of the single cell WML, as other companies have done lately.

There is also a new Elzetta single cell light, the Alpha model. I'm pretty sure they use a 1" tube as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Inforce

Good to know. I'm trying to decide which model to get right now for my Tavor. Looking for something small and "light". Lol!

ETA: Well crap. After seeing that thread on these lights, they sound like a POS. I'm not really into rolling the dice on these staying charged when not in use.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 2:10:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Rosch sl1.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 2:38:12 AM EDT
[#6]
You can get a malkoff M31 and a 1 cell semi-custom set up from overready.com for about $180 out the door and its a small little bastid.  There is also the Elzetta Alpha.  That be small too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 2:47:12 AM EDT
[#7]
While it may not be as modular as the Malkoff M31 setup mentioned above, there is also the Malkoff MDC SHO which is a complete single cell, 300 lumen light.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 3:00:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Inforce won't work for me because it's rail mounted, not via an offset mount. (Due to the small pistol size and my grip, I need a "tubed" light that I can put in an offset mount). I'll take a look at the Elzetta single cell light.
View Quote

You can offset the Inforce. Any offset rail mount will work. I use the HSP Thorntail mount

" />
" />
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 3:03:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Good to know. I'm trying to decide which model to get right now for my Tavor. Looking for something small and "light". Lol!

ETA: Well crap. After seeing that thread on these lights, they sound like a POS. I'm not really into rolling the dice on these staying charged when not in use.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Inforce

I have the momentary only Inforce and I've never had problems with it draining batteries. Had it about 6 months and I'm on the same battery.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 4:20:42 AM EDT
[#10]
How about the Surefire M300 Mini scout.. small, lightweight and super compact. It runs on one CR123 battery for 1.5 hours and puts out 200 lumen. It comes with both the click tailcap and a pressure pad. there are plenty of offset mounts available for it.
Here is the M300 mini scout mounted on my 7.5" for size reference..

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thorntail offset mount is made specifically for the WML and will offset it using very little rail space
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#12]
The Rosch replaces the front-sight, thus eliminating that weight, as well as giving you a light mounted on the weapon's centerline. 250 OTF lumens roughly, guts made by Malkoff. Momentary-only, no way for it to drain the battery as the switch is mechanical and not digital. Weighs about 3oz and includes a front-sight. Nothing I have yet seen is a lighter way to have a front BUIS and a light that puts out meaningful light.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 7:49:19 PM EDT
[#13]
http://tangodown.com/shop/tangodown-front-sight-flashlight-adapter/

Requires the use of a Surefire X300, mini scout, or WML to work, but it does save space. No personal experience.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:49:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a Malkoff M31, Surefire A21, Surefire LU60, and a 6P bezel/tailcap in a VTAC mount.  Very short, very bright.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 11:10:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I have an Elzetta Alpha in their ZRX light mount.  Like it so far although it is not the cheapest setup in the world.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:23:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Streamlight protac 1l. Great little light and surprisingly bright for its size
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 11:22:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Elzetta Alpha or an Inforce WML.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 5:43:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
http://tangodown.com/shop/tangodown-front-sight-flashlight-adapter/

Requires the use of a Surefire X300, mini scout, or WML to work, but it does save space. No personal experience.
View Quote

That's a ghetto version of the sl1 and takes up more room and adds more weight...
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:13:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Malkoff EDC.  Depending on your requirements I'd look at the SHO.  OTHERWISE LOOK AT THE 3 level standard EDC.

Bulletproof gear quality.  Also it's made in the USA and you will usually find the owner or his wife answering the phone.  Try that with that ChiCom crap.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:51:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Operator error
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:54:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Here is my WML. 250 OTF lumens Malkoff designed module and front sight, 3.2oz including battery.

Size:
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:36:28 AM EDT
[#23]
I do like the concept of that front sight.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:24:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I do like the concept of that front sight.
View Quote

It's done me a solid. Gene Malkoff makes the guts, Rosch Works machines the bodies. Great light. It's basically a Malkoff M31 and a front-sight all in one. Momentary-only, which I LOVE! Although you can get an adapter and run a Surefire clicky on it if you are inclined to.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:24:53 PM EDT
[#25]
You sold me...
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top