Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2014 2:48:42 PM EDT
Pulled my rifle out of my range bag to shoot it today. My TLR-1HL was flipped on when I pulled it out. So it must of been on the whole car ride there. It was super hot. Felt like my barrel after about 100 rounds. I have seen some reviews online saying they get hot. I was wondering how many others have noticed this as well.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, mine gets warm maybe a little more than warm after hitting the button when i  in the safe by mistake and leaving it in there for the night, but never hot hot.
Have you checked your terminals the battery sits on for corrosion? And you have probably changed your batteries after leaving it on that long, but if not change them. May need to send it back to check the connections are strong and not drawing loads of amps and warming it up.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow, mine gets warm maybe a little more than warm after hitting the button when i  in the safe by mistake and leaving it in there for the night, but never hot hot.
Have you checked your terminals the battery sits on for corrosion? And you have probably changed your batteries after leaving it on that long, but if not change them. May need to send it back to check the connections are strong and not drawing loads of amps and warming it up.
View Quote

Its pretty much new, factory batteries even. Maybe a month old. It was also about 105 outside today.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 3:11:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Its pretty much new, factory batteries even. Maybe a month old. It was also about 105 outside today.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh maybe try and keep it on inside the house today for an extended period and see if it gets that hot again. If it does, maybe its a problem inside the light.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 4:44:40 PM EDT
[#4]
If it was on for an extended period of time while still inside a soft case that would probably explain it. With no air for convective heat transfer you basically turned the light into a ~ 6+ watt mini heater stuck inside a big oven mitt. Just be thankful you caught it before any sort of thermal runaway issue with your batteries venting inside the light.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If it was on for an extended period of time while still inside a soft case that would probably explain it. With no air for convective heat transfer you basically turned the light into a ~ 6+ watt mini heater stuck inside a big oven mitt. Just be thankful you caught it before any sort of thermal runaway issue with your batteries venting inside the light.
View Quote

This man understands thermodynamics, listen to him and be sure to turn off any heat producing device that is crammed inside of an insulator you care about.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This man understands thermodynamics, listen to him and be sure to turn off any heat producing device that is crammed inside of an insulator you care about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well its not like I did it on purpose. The soft case must of activated the switch. Makes me wonder if it ever happened before. Seems kinda easy to do on accident.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 6:57:13 PM EDT
[#7]
They definitely get hot if left on...which is why they put "HOT" on the side of the light itself and dedicated a chapter in the instruction manual to it . The manual states it will get hot enough to cause a drop reflex if you pick it up but I believe also says it's not hot enough to actually cause a burn.

I'm glad you brought this topic up. I carry my rifle to the range in a soft case and I could see the light getting accidentally turned on. I'll probably pop the batteries before I go out next time.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 8:46:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
well its not like I did it on purpose. The soft case must of activated the switch. Makes me wonder if it ever happened before. Seems kinda easy to do on accident.
View Quote

That's probably one of the few downsides to using a TLR-1 on a rifle; even if you are comfortable with the toggle switch it seems as if it could be more prone to being accidentally activated than other switch types and there is still no simple way of locking it out like with most clicky style tail caps that only need to be unscrewed a few turns. If I recall correctly someone made a tail cap shroud for the Surefire X series lights in an attempt to address that problem -can't remember who it was though. But for the price and the output and the weight it's still really hard to beat the HL for an out of the box weapon light.

Edit - Unity Tactical -that is who made the add-on shroud for Surefire X series lights.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 5:03:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't recall where I read it, but someone trimmed the lever on their TLR-1 then added serrations so it was still functional but much harder to accidentally activate.
Tomac
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 7:46:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is why a lot of people dont like pistol lights on rifles cause of the AD possibility.

Also its normal cause my SF X300U got hot as well just from me keeping it on.

ETA: Barrel hot does sound extreme though. What matchbook said makes sense too.

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 8:00:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This is why a lot of people dont like pistol lights on rifles cause of the AD possibility.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I find these lights more easy to use on rifles then normal mounted lights. Quicker and more natural to use.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top