Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2014 4:16:00 AM EDT
im recently planning on buying a light+mount for my ar15.
got a vtac alpha rail 13" already installed and saw the VTAC LIGHT MOUNT.

theyre refering to the Surefire L4 Light as a good combination.

what do you think about it and maybe theres a light/mount which is cheaper and offer the same quality?

thx!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 7:38:16 AM EDT
[#1]
If you wanted cheaper there isn't a way to beat a Surefire G2X tactical in a magpul rail light mount/gg&g flashlight mount.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 12:15:56 PM EDT
[#2]
thx very much for the answer!

another question, i already got an Nightcore MT26 .

it has much more options and is 4x brighter than the surefire...
will it break because of the recoil? do i need "special" lamps for the ar15?
thx
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 4:47:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Take a look at the Streamlight Protac line most notably the 1L or the HL.  IMO streamlight is highly under rated.  You can run either in a VTAC mount.  I personally like the gear sector Sector mounts.  I do have a HS dropwing for a mini scout that im running on a 14.5 colt SOPMOD.  Good mount as well but bang for the buck id say a streamlight protac 1L in a gear sector mount.  Small, compact, light weight and 180 lumens.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
thx very much for the answer!

another question, i already got an Nightcore MT26 .

it has much more options and is 4x brighter than the surefire...
will it break because of the recoil? do i need "special" lamps for the ar15?
thx
View Quote

Two things, First of all having multiple outputs isn't great in a weaponlight because it has the potential to switch modes while you are shooting. Not good to say the least. Also brighter isn't always better, If you take that 800lumen light and when you wake up in the middle of the night point it at a wall and turn it on. See how long it takes for you to be able to see clearly again.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 5:58:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Take a look at the Streamlight Protac line most notably the 1L or the HL.  IMO streamlight is highly under rated.  You can run either in a VTAC mount.  I personally like the gear sector Sector mounts.  I do have a HS dropwing for a mini scout that im running on a 14.5 colt SOPMOD.  Good mount as well but bang for the buck id say a streamlight protac 1L in a gear sector mount.  Small, compact, light weight and 180 lumens.
View Quote

Streamlight protac 1L $40, Gearsector mount $60... Total $100.
Surefire G2X $50, Magpul mount $30... Total $80
You save money while having a light I KNOW I can trust my life to. Streamlight.... Eh... And it's more expensive total and multiple outputs. Surefire = Win
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#6]
TLR-1 HL
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Surfire G2X best light for the money.  Mount wise, the Gear sectors are sweet.  I tend not to dig the plastic mounts.  I had a V-Tac mount and it was bulky and not really confidence inspiring.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If you wanted cheaper there isn't a way to beat a Surefire G2X tactical in a magpul rail light mount/gg&g flashlight mount.
View Quote

Run with G2X w/GG&G mounts on two of my carbines.  All you need.  If I bought a new one for another rifle, it would be another G2X.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 12:18:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Run with G2X w/GG&G mounts on two of my carbines.  All you need.  If I bought a new one for another rifle, it would be another G2X.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 but take a look at VTAC mount as well OP.

Link Posted: 6/22/2014 1:03:31 AM EDT
[#10]
when im reading right, only the Streamlight 1L and the Surefire L4 offering 180 Lumen.

Streamlight HL has 600 and Surefire G2X 320 which both are a bit too much for a gun?!

thx
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 4:03:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
TLR-1 HL
View Quote

This.
Tomac
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 8:39:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm running a pro TAC hl3 in a magpul rail light mount.  $105 total I think.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 6:08:40 PM EDT
[#13]
When you use a G2X do you just click it three times to get it into high mode?
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Get the Tactical one.  Then you don't have to worry about clicks to turn the high on as high is always on.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Get the Tactical one.  Then you don't have to worry about clicks to turn the high on as high is always on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 2:42:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You save money while having a light I KNOW I can trust my life to. Streamlight.... Eh... And it's more expensive total and multiple outputs. Surefire = Win
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, I ordered the G2X tonight. Thinking about getting the GearSector mount for it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 6:10:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks, I ordered the G2X tonight. Thinking about getting the GearSector mount for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

think less, do more.  You won't be disappointed.  The GS mounts are really nice IMO.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

think less, do more.  You won't be disappointed.  The GS mounts are really nice IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely really nice mounts kind of expensive so not my first choice if you are trying to go on a budget route, But if you get it, It's an excellent mount.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 8:44:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Haley Thorntail is a great mount if you can find one.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 1:32:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Definitely really nice mounts kind of expensive so not my first choice if you are trying to go on a budget route, But if you get it, It's an excellent mount.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im going to start out on the low end and get a GG&G

Googled some pics and this set up should work good although these pics were from an old AR15 thread where the guy did not like this setup. What do you guys think?

Link Posted: 7/4/2014 3:12:03 PM EDT
[#21]
It's kind of low for the hand to shoot like that. I would get the MOE scout light mount and mount it that way.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 12:18:03 AM EDT
[#22]
there´s another small problem with the mount+vtac alpha rail.

i want to install the light at 11 o clock, cause im running an magpul afg2 on the rail.
on the top end of the rail is a magpul mbus fronsight installed.
here´s a picture:

http://img5.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/rail5gwo6vym1f.jpg

installing it at "red" would be the best place for reaching the ligtbutton, but i think mounts like gg&g cant be used because it wont fit with the mbus.
installing it on "yellow" is too much on the rear for reaching it...

what do you recommend?

thx!
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 9:53:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Why would red be the best place for the light button?
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 2:35:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's kind of low for the hand to shoot like that. I would get the MOE scout light mount and mount it that way.
View Quote

I already have a magpul cantilever rail to spare so if it doesn't work then no biggy. Next order will be a GearSector anyways. The GG&G can go on my Mossberg 500.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 7:25:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
what do you recommend?
thx!
View Quote

How about mounting your light at "red" and moving the MBUS back far enough to clear? You lose a little sight radius on your BUIS but ease of light activation would take precedence over sight radius in my book (YMMV).
Tomac
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Get rid of the unnecessary AFG and problem solved.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 11:55:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This.
Tomac
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
TLR-1 HL

This.
Tomac

I agree. Just got another TLR1 in the mail today
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Streamlights are great lights but there's tons of aftermarket support for the G2 series.  Cree, IR, filters, switches, etc...

cheers,

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#29]
This setup will work for me for the time being. When using the vert grip my thumb is in perfect position. You guys were right the G2X is a great light for someone on a budget.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 5:37:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This setup will work for me for the time being. When using the vert grip my thumb is in perfect position. You guys were right the G2X is a great light for someone on a budget.
<a href="http://s161.photobucket.com/user/NoEffects6/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps48a4cee8.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t226/NoEffects6/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps48a4cee8.jpg</a>
View Quote

Cool, Another thing you can do if you feel "scrunched" up shooting it with the light mounted that far back is get a Magpul scout light mount. Then you can use that same ring and mount it farther forward and up that way. It may be more comfortable that way if your a larger build but something like the way you have it set up right now would work for someone like me. I'm not sure what kind of person you are so just throwing out another option for you. As long as it works stick with it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Getting it out front on a mid set of MOE handguards.  I use the same mount on my wife's carbine and one of the MOE stubby VFG's for a hand stop.  Works pretty well.  And the MOE VFG is direct mount just like the light mount.  So everything is clean and smooth.

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 1:49:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Cool, Another thing you can do if you feel "scrunched" up shooting it with the light mounted that far back is get a Magpul scout light mount. Then you can use that same ring and mount it farther forward and up that way. It may be more comfortable that way if your a larger build but something like the way you have it set up right now would work for someone like me. I'm not sure what kind of person you are so just throwing out another option for you. As long as it works stick with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s161.photobucket.com/user/NoEffects6/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps48a4cee8.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t226/NoEffects6/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps48a4cee8.jpg</a>

I don't have huge paws...it'll work  

Here's a better shot of the mount. I thought I had the cantilever rail in the spare box. I didn't...it was a standard moe rail. I still have the option to mount the light one notch forward yet it doesn't feel as comfortable. I guess I have baby hands.

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 8:02:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Here's a better shot of the mount. I thought I had the cantilever rail in the spare box. I didn't...it was a standard moe rail. I still have the option to mount the light one notch forward yet it doesn't feel as comfortable. I guess I have baby hands.

<a href="http://s161.photobucket.com/user/NoEffects6/media/012_zps861e5444.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t226/NoEffects6/012_zps861e5444.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s161.photobucket.com/user/NoEffects6/media/012_zps861e5444.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t226/NoEffects6/012_zps861e5444.jpg</a>

Haha I know the pain. I'm glad you go it to work for you.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top