Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2014 10:53:02 AM EDT
Thinking about a laser and a light for the AR. I seen a product that was a Green Laser Designator. This a laser sight with a cooler name?

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 12:03:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Thinking about a laser and a light for the AR. I seen a product that was a Green Laser Designator. This a laser sight with a cooler name?
View Quote

It's going to be hard to say for sure unless you specify a model.  

There are some that are intended primarily as designators, stand-off devices, or aiming lasers.  

Often they can be used in multiple roles - generally aiming lasers (LAMs - Laser Aiming Modules) will be the most versatile, but will probably lack in power.

"Designators" is often meant to imply designation of a target for close air support, very powerful - possibly too powerful, but short on finer adjustments for use as a aiming laser.

Or, if you're looking at some cheap Chicom airsoft green laser on eBay, your first inclination may be correct - someone just thought it sounded cooler.

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, I should have referred to a specific product. Here is what I was looking at, http://sightmark.com/sm13034k.html
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Take a look at these laser designators.

http://www.lasergenetics.com

I am considering:
http://www.lasergenetics.com/nd3x50-laser-designator_hunting.aspx

These are higher power lasers than the standard 5mW.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 6:52:48 AM EDT
[#4]
The laser you linked to is basically a handheld laser, and as far as I can tell has no means to zero it, even if you mounted it on a rifle.  It's a glorified laser pointer.  

I generally tend to avoid Sightmark for any and all of my optical and aiming needs, but then again, they do not cater to me and my priorities, they're low priced and low quality.  

The other appears to more or less be laser powered flashlight... if that's what you need and it works, then have at it, but once again, not for me.  

IMHO, a good laser sight worth putting on a rifle is not usually going to be cheap.  If you're looking for an aiming solution at a lower budget point, I'd look at the TLR-2 light/laser.  

You should also look into and research lasers and their use - there's a thread a couple pages back entitled something like "Why all the hate for lasers?" that has some of my other thoughts in it.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Well aware that you get for what you pay for. I also understand your feelings as well. But I am just getting into having this firearm, and the amount of accessories for this weapon is staggering!!! Not to mention the some prices are staggering too! LOL! But thanks a ton for your input! ;)
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 5:08:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Got more info about this laser. The head unscrews for the windage and elevation adjustments. I think for the $100, ill try this one. I have their light and I am impressed with it! Still not sold about putting a laser on my rifle, so the purchase may not happen. Now, they do have a red laser for about $40-50 bucks. I think ill get out and send a couple hundred rounds through with the light on first, just to test it out.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:23:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Look through all the pics on this site where people are dropping $5k+ on their builds and tell me how many lasers you see. You sound like you are just wanting to bolt things on your rifle just for the "tacticoolness" of it.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:21:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Look through all the pics on this site where people are dropping $5k+ on their builds and tell me how many lasers you see. You sound like you are jut wanting to bolt things on your rifle just for the "tacticoolness" of it.
View Quote
Yes. Not going to argue with you. Being a new owner of an AR, I guess I am just going through the paces. Probably in time it will come off, but only time will see. ;)

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 5:00:03 PM EDT
[#9]

***UPDATE***

After ordering three of these lasers, in which they were all returned. First package, the pressure switch didn't work, the laser was AWESOME! But, there was another problem.

Ebay and all the web sites that sell this laser is showing a stock photo. What you get is a different story!!! What they show is a package with a RED border on the bottom, what you get is a package with a GRAY border on the bottom. Here is where it gets interesting.

Turns out, you get the laser, battery, tail cap switch, pressure switch, and a mount. A MOUNT THAT COVERS THE BATTERY CAP!!! The mount they show in the web sites is not the mount you get! This mount will cover the cap so that when you need to change the battery, YOU NEED TO REMOVE THE ENTIRE MOUNT! Which means you loose your sight in and will have to re-sight in every battery change! I have contacted them several times, but I been getting a run around. The last person through email said they would send a slimmer mount, never got it. Then after calling them a few times, they said they will send a slimmer mount. I guess they knew it was a design flaw in the mount that was in the packages they sent out. The funniest thing is this, THEY SHOW THE SLIMMER MOUNT ON THEIR WEB SITE!!! This mount will allow a battery change without removing everything and loosing your laser's sight in!

Why do they not SELL what they SHOW???? Instead, give the consumer something completely different, because they will not know any better!!! Really!?!?!?

LOL!!!

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 10:47:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
***UPDATE***

After ordering three of these lasers, in which they were all returned. First package, the pressure switch didn't work, the laser was AWESOME! But, there was another problem.

Ebay and all the web sites that sell this laser is showing a stock photo. What you get is a different story!!! What they show is a package with a RED border on the bottom, what you get is a package with a GRAY border on the bottom. Here is where it gets interesting.

Turns out, you get the laser, battery, tail cap switch, pressure switch, and a mount. A MOUNT THAT COVERS THE BATTERY CAP!!! The mount they show in the web sites is not the mount you get! This mount will cover the cap so that when you need to change the battery, YOU NEED TO REMOVE THE ENTIRE MOUNT! Which means you loose your sight in and will have to re-sight in every battery change! I have contacted them several times, but I been getting a run around. The last person through email said they would send a slimmer mount, never got it. Then after calling them a few times, they said they will send a slimmer mount. I guess they knew it was a design flaw in the mount that was in the packages they sent out. The funniest thing is this, THEY SHOW THE SLIMMER MOUNT ON THEIR WEB SITE!!! This mount will allow a battery change without removing everything and loosing your laser's sight in!

Why do they not SELL what they SHOW???? Instead, give the consumer something completely different, because they will not know any better!!! Really!?!?!?

LOL!!!

View Quote

Man you get what you pay for when it comes to guns. I don't know what else to tell you
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 2:49:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Hah.  I was about to post "you are going to regret that" but it looks like you beat me to it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#12]
You mother and I are very disappointed but we love you very much and hope that you have learned your lesson.

Next time...  Listen to Pfran!
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top