Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2017 2:02:01 PM EDT
I just bought this Blackhawk Commando chest rig.

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/blackhawk-tactical-commando-chest-harness.html?_iv_code=BW-MZ-DCEDBD-55CO00DE&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=Cj0KEQjwyZjKBRDu--WG9ayT_ZEBEiQApZBFuC1KQWAukQRnXMZm6bE2oBjNAMdi6S-F1umA7Hc4b_UaAhXW8P8HAQ

It received good reviews but I have one problem with it.  When it's fully loaded I can't don it due to the weight and the way it's constructed.  When I go to the range I put it on empty than insert the mags.  What I wanted is a chest rig that I can fully load with mags and stuff and leave it hanging ready to go. That way I could grab it and go.  

What chest rigs can you put on easily fully weighted down with your ammo and supplies?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The 2pc version of this is pretty easy to get on and off.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:47:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Start lifting; it'll make it easier to use a chest rig.

I have a plate carrier with two NIJ III AR500 plates, fully loaded with magazines, radio, IFAK, dump pouch, canteen, et cetera that I just lift over my head and lower down. Works fine for me.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Regardless of the flak I'll get, I've been using a couple of Condor chest rigs for the range and classes the past few years and they've held up surprisingly well.

Even fully loaded w/hydration I have no problems lifting them up and letting them slide down over my torso like a t-shirt. After that, all that's left is connect the lower right clip.

Tomac

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:48:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have a plate carrier with two NIJ III AR500 plates, fully loaded with magazines, radio, IFAK, dump pouch, canteen, et cetera that I just lift over my head and lower down. Works fine for me.
View Quote
f

It's not just the weight, it's the position of the buckles and the awkward way it goes on.  Granted I'm not as limber as I once was (I'm 68) but I still see no way to put it on loaded.  It's ok for the range so it's not a total loss.  

What I need is something that goes on like a jacket.  Something that has a zipper or buckle in the front where you can reach it.  Something you could leave hanging on a hook ready to grab and slip on in a second.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:48:54 PM EDT
[#5]
In case you missed the tactical gear section

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/10_Tactical-Gear.html
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 4:12:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
^ This.  My setup weighs a hair under 40 lbs fully loaded.  That's withfront/rear/side triple curve rifle plates, 4 30-rd 556, 4 20-rd Glock 17 mags (TTI extensions), IFAK, radio, and small backpack with Camelbak.  It's heavy at first but still more comfortable than the crap I had to wear in AFG.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 6:25:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Perhaps something like this? Zippered front and does alright donning like a vest. Perhaps a water source on the back to balance it out
 Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I would suggest an old mil surp LBE or LBV with the pistol belt. No you can't add an armor plate but do you really need an armor plate? I use the pistol belt I was issued years ago and a six mag bandoleer. Put the belt on and I have my pistol, extra mags, IFAK, compass and a fixed blade knife. I then sling the bandoleer cross body and grab my rifle and I'm GTG. Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:05:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Till that steel plate hits you in the head or nose... and if you have had that for a while and put it on in a hurry multiple times I know you have had it hit you in the head at least once by now.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 6:42:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I would look at the 2 piece MAV by Tactical Tailor. You can lower the body by adjusting the straps and make it easier to don/doff and keep weight to a minimum. Set it up to meet your needs and nothing else. Weight is an issue when you are pushing 70, especially for extended periods. Good on you for still having motivation and a venue to shoot. I think Eagle used to make a carrier that was split front and made to have the body portion ride more so on the waist area.

Found this from LBT--excellent kit and quality

http://lbtinc.com/9019amcc

For the money, this and the split front MAV, goes on like a button down shirt, easy

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/fightlightxharness.aspx

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/mav-modularassaultvests.aspx?page=2
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top