Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2017 10:30:16 PM EDT
I'm trying to attach a Butler Creek sling to my AR.  My rail has an ADM QD swivel mount.  Check.

Now I'm trying to connect the sling to the rear of the gun.  Either replacing the end plate or attaching something to my CTR stock.

I see a lot of options out there with loops for the nylon but not many that simply have a swivel stud.  Should I look at getting a new sling or can someone point me in the right direction?  I know there's something out there that I'm just not searching for correctly.

This is what I have

Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:38:07 PM EDT
[#1]
You should find a better sling. While I like the Butler Creeks on my hunting rifles, there are many better options for an AR15.

Check out Viking Tactics or the Vickers at Blue Force Gear.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:49:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should find a better sling. While I like the Butler Creeks on my hunting rifles, there are many better options for an AR15.

Check out Viking Tactics or the Vickers at Blue Force Gear.
View Quote
Touche...but what happens when you want your AR15 to be a hunting rifle?

This will be lugged through a woods for a bit so I'm looking for something comfortable and not necessarily 'tactical'
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:27:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Padded MS1 sling with QD swivels.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:35:18 PM EDT
[#4]
USGI olive drab nylon sling. Plenty nice to carry with a pencil-barrel rifle...yours is a pencil barrel, right?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm a fan of my blue force gear padded sling.  Would be perfectly at home on any rifle really.  Their website offer different attachment options that should suit your needs for your rifle.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:26:12 PM EDT
[#6]
You could plug one of these: GrovTec Multi-Adaptor Quick Detach Sling Swivel Stud Steel Black into the qd socket on your CTR stock or just rig up some paracord through on of the holes in it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I just drilled a hole and put in a stud. I only use plain old M4 stocks on all of my ARs so I don't know how that will work for you.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 3:40:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Help me attach a sling. I am an idiot
View Quote

at least you know your mental limitations.

but seriously.....just take those flimsy Fud sling things off and get QD's.

although, then you'll run into the problem with owning magpul stuff...they dont use rationally locking QD swivel sockets. have fun unwinding your sling all the time or sell it and get a B5.

not sure what magpul's problem is on that subject but they seem to have a cranial-rectal inversion on that topic.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 4:22:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You could plug one of these: GrovTec Multi-Adaptor Quick Detach Sling Swivel Stud Steel Black into the qd socket on your CTR stock or just rig up some paracord through on of the holes in it.
View Quote
This looks like it will work for me. Thanks. 

Still researching other options
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:28:36 PM EDT
[#10]
It looks like the CTR stock has a QD hole also.  Search QD sling mounts and buy those.  Get rid of the Uncle Mikes sling mounts you have now.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

although, then you'll run into the problem with owning magpul stuff...they dont use rationally locking QD swivel sockets. have fun unwinding your sling all the time or sell it and get a B5.

not sure what magpul's problem is on that subject but they seem to have a cranial-rectal inversion on that topic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Help me attach a sling. I am an idiot

I've never had those fud" sling studs and swivels fail on my hunting rifles used in very remote bad conditions.  Never. For decades of hard use. I have had QD swivels detach unexpectedly with resultant damage to the rifle. And no, they were not cheap Chinese shit.

FWIW, most Magpul QD sockets for the front are rotation limited. They are.  Most Magpul rear stocks have the socket in a location that makes it rotation limited because the swivel contacts the stock when rotated.  My ACS is that way.  The Magpul RSA QD I run in the front on the same rifle is rotation limited.

If OP likes that "fud" sling, I say use it with the QD adapter mentioned above.  The QD socket might still fail.  The post and swivel will not, especially if of the screw down locking variety.

Magpul RSA and ACS on my Recce.  Rotation limited on both ends.

This "fud" rifle is a Remington 725 manufactured in 1958.  I inherited it in 1970 and converted its military swivels to post and cross-slot QD (Uncle Mike's) at that time.  I've hunted with it all over this continent, rough terrain, bad weather, afoot and house back,  regularly since.  I have many other "fud" rifles old and new with both type of sling mounts.  I'm 67 years old.  The post and cross slot mount is just as strong or stronger than the three tiny ball bearings that hold a QD socket in the cup.

Most critics of "fud" rifles and their equipment are not serious hunters and don't have a base of knowledge of their capabilities and durability in rough field conditions.  The current Remington Custom Shop Mountain Rifle I had made recently has those supposedly bad post and cross slot sling attachments.  They work.

Get whatever design you like, but let's not think QD sockets are more reliable.  They are not.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:33:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I use a padded "AR style" sling similar to some of the options suggested on my hunting AR.

My non-AR hunting rifles wear butler creek slings.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Touche...but what happens when you want your AR15 to be a hunting rifle?

This will be lugged through a woods for a bit so I'm looking for something comfortable and not necessarily 'tactical'
View Quote
Just because something is described as or looks "tactical" it doesn't mean it can't be comfortable as well.

I love my padded VCAS.  Super comfy.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top