Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/28/2017 11:17:46 PM EDT
I'm looking for a 13" m-lock rail. It seems ALG gets decent reviews. Are there any downsides to these ALG rails I should know about?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:19:49 PM EDT
[#1]
None that I have seen. They are made by Geissele.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 2:23:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
None that I have seen. They are made by Geissele.
View Quote

+1, no cons IMO. I own an ALG EMR M-LOK V1 and I love it.

ETA: Just a heads up, you now have to purchase a barrel nut wrench for the EMR rails because they do not come with one anymore and the rails use a proprietary barrel nut. I assume it was to minimize costs, sending out a free barrel nut wrench with EVERY rail adds up, then people with multiple rails end up having multiple ALG barrel nut wrenches. I don't have concrete details, but it is what it is. I'd still buy an ALG rail without a second thought.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 2:27:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one, I haven't found any issues with it. I highly recommend them.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 7:12:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Wrench is only $5 IIRC.  Not a huge expense.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wrench is only $5 IIRC.  Not a huge expense.
View Quote
Yeah,$ 5 or 6. Just remember to order one. I have the v2 and the v3 and I'm happy with them. The shim install is pretty foolproof as long as you read the instructions.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:01:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Not necessarily a downside, but the slot spacing is different from most rails.

The no top rail is 7 slot 3, 6, 9 o'clock and 45*? degrees.

The rail\semi rail is 5 slot 4x 45*? degree slots and 9 o'clock only.

It might not be 45*.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:24:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Great quality, lightweight, ergonomic, modular, comes with barrel nut (a damn good one!) Does now require a inexpensive proprietary wrench. You do not need an expensive torque wrench. The shims and system ensure proper torquing when the nut and rail are properly clocked. What's not to like?

Oh yeah inexpensive compared to many other rails!
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 12:17:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I have an EMR V-1 on a seldom used upper and I like it just fine.
The EMR V-2 and V-3 don't seem to have M-Lok slots at 3 & 9 oclock which to me is odd and unusable.
Otherwise it if works for you they are nice for the $$$ IMO.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:10:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is mine

Link Posted: 1/31/2017 5:25:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I found one issue and it is not an ALG design flaw if you stick with lower receivers that are milspec forgings.  I have a billet lower in my inventory that has the area circumference around the front takedown pin beefed up.  I can't properly break open the upper as the rear portion of the rail around the barrel nut has little clearance to allow it to fully pivot.  So I have to take the upper completely off to work on it.  Not a big deal but would be if that was my only lower.

ALG rails are an exceptional value.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 5:32:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I have one minor beef; because the angle/location of the m-lok slots, I had to use a combination of Type I and II Magpul panels. Not a huge deal, but I really like the Type II panels. I'm a big fan of the Centurion rail, but I wanted something that my 9MM can would fit inside of.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Like others have stated the omission of m lok slots at 3 and 9 on the subsequent revisions of the rail kill those as options for me.  

I've been happy with my smooth top rail, though.  Keep in mind the front sight rail is $20 so that has to be factored into the total cost as well as they're no longer packaged with barrel nut wrenches.  

I don't think they come with M lok rails either.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a V1 and V3.  When I bought the V1, I had to order a separate MLOK rail for the front BUIS.  Both came with the barrel wrench at the time.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 12:16:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I like them precisely because the MLOK slots are NOT at 3:00 and 9:00. I want them on the 45s (or whatever angle they're on). A side rail at 3:00 or 9:00 is totally useless with the possible exception of side-mounting a PEQ15 or something. Throw a light mount on that 10:00 MLOK spot and roll. It's perfectly placed for thumb activation.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 6:53:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Great handguards and I love the MLOK slot placement.  It allows me to use an Arisaka Inline Scout mount in the offset position with an ATPIAL, which pretty much isn't an option with any other handguard.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:28:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I like them precisely because the MLOK slots are NOT at 3:00 and 9:00. I want them on the 45s (or whatever angle they're on). A side rail at 3:00 or 9:00 is totally useless with the possible exception of side-mounting a PEQ15 or something. Throw a light mount on that 10:00 MLOK spot and roll. It's perfectly placed for thumb activation.
View Quote

I've since come to see the value of the slots in that position for a light.  Once I get my tax return I'm going to experiment mounting a light in the 10 oclock position.  Can't wait to pick up an Elzetta Bones
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:02:54 PM EDT
[#17]
No downsides IMO
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:26:45 AM EDT
[#18]
My beef with the V1 (M-lok, no top rail) is the QD cup/slot is garbage. It has minor "ribs" in it that (supposedly) are rotation limited, but not in reality. If you crank on a QD swivel it WILL rotate (plus the handguard has little "meat" to catch the swivel). Other than the QD locations being trash... it's been a fantastic handguard (and the QD is easily solved with a QD cup attachment such as MP QD M-lok attachment). I actually with ALG would not even bother with the QD spots, as they're not robust enough to seriously trust anyway. I wish they'd just not do it, and let people attach their QD mounts. Just my .02
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:20:48 AM EDT
[#19]
There is a way to direct mount a Streamlight Rail Mount 2 tape switch to a ALG defense rail. I ordered Mlok nuts this week and I will try this out. 

https://primaryandsecondary.com/forum/index.php?threads/direct-mounting-streamlight-rm2-tape-switch.2542/#post-18978
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 6:17:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I found the same thing with the QD, it wasn't as big of a deal for me I just put a MP QD forward of the factory hole and rolled on. I'm glad that I came across this rail and in particular the ones that I bought. First the round rail and diameter are perfect for me. I'm running the one with the little piece of picatinny on the front of a 13" rail, works great. Made by Geiselle, I believe ALG are his daughters initials. Barrel nut is extremely solid if installed correctly, doesn't use traditional torque so it's a little bit of a curveball. but works well. I've built two and a third for a friend, for what I'm using if for I haven't found anything better. By the way, I replaced a 12" DD rail, i think Omega, it was an older one that was round too but had picatinny running the length of the rail up top. It was heavy and not nearly as comfortable as this ALG. Hopefully pictures load up, I've since added an Arisaka finger stop that i'm positioning between my index and middle finger.

[/URL]" />

[/URL]" />
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:23:17 PM EDT
[#21]
yea the QD points are pretty weak. 
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 1:09:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a few of the ALG rails.
I don't like the fact that they do not have mlok in the 9 or 3 O'Clock position.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 1:30:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have a few of the ALG rails.
I don't like the fact that they do not have mlok in the 9 or 3 O'Clock position.
View Quote

The V1 rails have slots at the 3 and 9 positions.  It's the V2 and V3 rails that do not.  I really like their rails.  I assembled another upper last night using one of their 15in V1 rails.  Even though you have to somewhat time the barrel nut, it is surprisingly easy.  Below is the upper I assembled last night.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:56:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The V1 rails have slots at the 3 and 9 positions.  It's the V2 and V3 rails that do not.  I really like their rails.  I assembled another upper last night using one of their 15in V1 rails.  Even though you have to somewhat time the barrel nut, it is surprisingly easy.  Below is the upper I assembled last night.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/278288/IMG-2090-160120.JPG
View Quote

Good to know. I have the V2 and V3 rails. Those models lacking mlok at 3 & 9 o'clock was driving me nuts trying to find the right combo of parts to mount my lights in the spot I wanted.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top